Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooing a rifle at 45 degrees

Options
  • 04-02-2008 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think of shooting into branches of trees at 45 - 60 degree angles at 100yrds .

I occasionally have been taking shots at grey crows from downstair in my house with a .17hmr.

I know there is nothing for a 1 mile radius where i shoot
    but beyond the 1 mile mark i wouldnt be so sure:(

Where would the bullet land and if so could it be a danger to people in surrounding areas walking etc???

Also if anyone wants to comment on other cailabre 22lr .223 .234 etc

by all means share there thaughts & experiences...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not sure if you angles or distances are wrong, but if you were shooting at 45 deg at a tree 100 yards away, the tree would be 100 yards tall. 60 deg would make it even higher.

I think it is not a good idea, as you have no idea what exactly is around you or where it is going

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It's a really bad idea. Please don't shoot unless you can guarantee the round will lodge in a safe backstop!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

IRLConor wrote: »
    It's a really bad idea. Please don't shoot unless you can guarantee the round will lodge in a safe backstop!

thats true. you dont want to be up for manslaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Use this simple rule of thumb. If you cannot see where the bullet will come to rest dont take the shot.
    I reckon an angle of 45 deg would send a hv .22lr more than a mile, but I never experimented.
    I found an air rifle to be a great solution to these shots but would still be iffy about anything less than 60-70 deg. Come to think of it, I havent bought .22lr ammo in nearly 4 years. I buy around 10 cans (500) .22 pellets each year. Dont have to worry about accidently shooting anyone half a mile away!

baaaaaad idea - go with milkerman's advice; if you can't see where the bullet will stop, then don't take the shot.

Find a nice friend with a shotgun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Never, ever do it. Invest in Shotgun or airgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Like the other posters said a bad idea. With that said.....when I read your
    post I was reminded of Myth busters episode where they tried firing bullets up in the air.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_50_bullets_fired_up_vo.html

~B

Think that episode prove that if could happy, as long as the bullet remains straight. It will do this when fired at an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Very bad idea, irresponsible and stupid firing any kind of rifle up into the air or up into branches not knowing where it will impact / stop. It doesnt matter if there are no houses behind your house for a mile or two, you must know your backstop.

Jimbo 22, obviously you have absolutely no training in the use and purpose of firearms.

Some of you out there may think that I'm over reacting. Remember a while ago when a person was shoot in Boyle in a car park by a "stray bullet".................and that poor young child in Northern Ireland playing in a school play ground who was killed by another "stray bullet"............Think on guys..........they were both shot by .22lr's.

Jimbo 22, I would suggest that you put your firearm into its gun-safe, lock it and leave it there until you join your local gun club and learn the basic safety, handling and use of a firearm.

God I get so annoyed at this total irresposible crap.........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Bad idea!!!
    Never shoot a rifle where you hav no backstop!!
    Its jus too risky!!
    Man was shot in england with a .22lr at 900 yrds!!
    The person fired at a pigeon in a tree and missed!!
    Saw it in shooting magazine some time back...
    very bad practice!!
    As for the 17hmr it would travel at least a mile IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

How did you get a licence :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Quite, bunny shooter. You just have to wonder.

Aw come on guys, give him a break. At least he asked the question before pulling a trigger.
    OP - NEVER fire a bullet unless you know EXACTLY where it is going.
    I suspect the .22 would do more damage than the .17 at very long ranges due to the heavier projectile but would not volunteer to be at the receiving end of either.

Oh Cr*p, Re-read the original post.
    I hope crows were all you hit.

I occasionally have been taking shots at grey crows from downstair in my house with a .17hmr.
    OMG! :eek:

Do you realise how dangerous it is shooting from inside a house?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    OMG! :eek:

Do you realise how dangerous it is shooting from inside a house?
    Wow, I actually was so shocked at the question and got a quick response out that I missed that part. That is just as bad as the shooting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Not alone is it out of the house it also seems that if it was a centrefire he would do the same thing judging by the last line!!
    Certainly wouldnt like to be at the wrong end of a 223 or 243!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

To the OP, even if you connected with your target, where did you think the bullet would go? And don't say it expanded inside the birdey. I think that kind of behaviour brings the sport down and paints us all with the one brush:mad:

It is a good rule of thumb never to fire without a safe backstop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The only set of circumstances when you can fire at that sort of elevation is when you're at the foot of a very high backstop ( i.e. at a fox halfway up a steep hillside with you flat on your belly ), even when you miss completly your round is still going to slam into a solid backstop. Don't do that sort of stuff without a relaible backstop. When shooting at that sort of elavation you should think of your bullet as a miniature artillery round. The worst thing is that a good few people who do this kind of thing are probably doing this without being aware of the potential dangers. Granted, 9999 times out of 10000 your bullet is probably not going to hit or hurt anyone but you don't want to find out about the one time when it's going to go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Ok point taken apologies

As a rule of i never fire low without a backstop

Is it not acceptable to shoot at 90 degrees.

I know lots of people who lamp wood pigeon with 22lr at nite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jimbo 22 wrote: »
    Is it not acceptable to shoot at 90 degrees.

I know lots of people who lamp wood pigeon with 22lr at nite?
    That's not going to meet with universal approval either, I'm afraid.

As Hatcher and MythBusters have demonstrated, even under laboratory conditions it's very difficult to shoot at exactly 90 degrees, and expecting to be able to deliberately do it freehand under a tree is purely an exercise in self delusion, in my opinion.
    A projectile fired exactly vertically will return to earth at its terminal velocity, which is unlikely to do serious damage; with any sort of horizontal vector (anything other than exactly vertical) though, it's going to retain some of its muzzle velocity and the danger factor goes up dramatically.

While the chances of hitting anything of consequence within the theoretical maximum range (1.5 miles or thereabouts for .22LR, we're led to believe) may be minuscule, so are the chances of any one individual winning the Lotto, and that gets won every few weeks or so.
    There are 2 examples already quoted in this thread of people on this little island getting hit by 'stray' bullets, so it does happen in the real world, and to be quite frank, the shooting community doesn't need publicity like that.

In my opinion, lamping pigeons with a rifle is lunacy.
    That's what shotguns and airguns are for.

Rovi wrote: »
    A projectile fired exactly vertically will return to earth at its terminal velocity, which is unlikely to do serious damage;

Just to point out, Even at terminal velocity, it will be travelling at 100 MPH, I imagine this will sting a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Rovi wrote: »

In my opinion, lamping pigeons with a rifle is lunacy.
    That's what shotguns and airguns are for.

Seeing as pigeons now have a season and therefore not vermin is it not an offence to either

1. Shoot them under a lamp??

or

2. Shoot them with a rifle??

Any Thoughts?

Correct on both points.

Jonty wrote: »
    Seeing as pigeons now have a season and therefore not vermin is it not an offence to either
    Alot of people seam to think that this pigeon season is new, its been around for over 20 years. suppose that off topic,
    you're spot on about other points

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Shooting *anything* at 90 degrees is probably a really bad idea without a hard hat.

Learning about angles and geometry is probably a good idea, one I think Jimbo could act on :p

Not being a shooter I've often wondered about shooting at 45 degrees. I know the math so if someone can tell me the muzzle velocity of the bullet I can do some simple math on it and tell you how far it will go.

Anything with that amount of energy thats not in controlled environment is probably a Really Bad Idea.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From the chart posted the other day, average muzzle velocity of a .22lr is 1138fps, and muzzle energy is 97 foot pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Looks like this will turn into an applied maths class:D

Never discharge a rifle into the air, bullet will land somewhere, or on someone, something

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Here's one dealing with subsonic:

.22 cal bullet
    (Calculated using Ingalls' table)
    Bullet Weight ......... 40 grains Bullet Caliber ........ 0.224
    Sectional Density ..... 0.114 Coefficient of Form ... 0.791
    Effective Bal. Coeff... 0.144 Bal. Coeff. at STP .... 0.144
    Cross wind ............ 10.0 m.p.h. Altitude .............. 0 Ft.
    Atmospheric pressure .. 30.00 in. Temperature ........... 60.0 F

Range Velocity Energy Momentum Mx. Ord. Defl. Drop Lead Time
    yards f.p.s. ft-lb. lb.-sec. in. in. in. in/mph sec.
    0 1000 88.8 0.1776 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.000
    239 771 52.8 0.1370 32.8 18.8 120.3 14.5 0.824
    478 611 33.1 0.1085 169.2 76.9 577.2 32.9 871
    717 484 20.8 0.0860 493.9 183.3 1568.1 56.2 3.192
    956 383 13.1 0.0681 1146.7 350.7 3402.4 85.5 4.860
    1195 304 8.2 0.0540 2370.1 595.1 6563.6 122.6 6.966

Cant seem to get this legible- 8.2 foot pounds at 1195 yards velocity 304fps.

• Advertisement

Might as well work out supersonic rounds too.
    2500 - 3600 fps
    Range anyone

Sydney, does the above take into account the anlge, what angle? Its kind of hard to read

Advertisement