Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PCI-E problem

• 04-02-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a PC running at the moment (not mine, a family members) and I've encountered a problem. A couple of weeks ago after a few hours of operation his OS's graphics would corrupt and the PC locked up, reseting cleared it but after a few days of this the PC refused to start up. I turned it on myself and got a single 2 second beep every 4 seconds. My first guess was video error so I pulled the card and switched on again. The PC was POSTing for certain and failing when it got to the video card.

Today I picked up a 7700 Fatal1ty card and installed it in the PC. When I switched on the PC booted fine and Windows (XP pro) booted too. I left it running for about 10 minutes and all seemed well. We had to move the PC back to his desk and when we switched it on I got the same single beep code as with the old card (monitor light yellow) Although I had seated the card correctly I checked it anyway to see if it had come lose in the move, it hadn't but I removed and reinstalled it anyway, no joy. At this point I'm thinking the motherboard is bricked though I've never seen a mobo fail like this, they usually just fail outright. The PC is still POSTing, the HD and optical drives are being accessed.

Anybody have any ideas to what it might be?

The PSU is within the required output range 350W. I also checked the PCI-E socket for dirt or damage to the pins, it's clean as a whistle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

I sorted it out in the end. There was a CMOS error, resetting the BIOS to factory setup did the trick.

Advertisement