Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haven't a clue

Options
  • 04-02-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a car that is less than 1.2 and quite old and hoping to get it for about 1.5K. Basically I want realiability and saftey couldn't care about anything else. I go onto carzone and there is over 100 cars that fit this criteria. I haven't a clue how to narrow it down. A friend told me to pick a make and then that will narrow it down. Mazda, Polo, Fiat, Puegot, Opel - nearly all the same to me I haven't a clue.
    I was wondering would a garage even sell cars this cheap?
    Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I'd go for a Corsa. Cheap and strong. The rest are just flimsy cr4p with the exception of the Polos which are overpriced anyway !

Maybe you should try an auction !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i'd steer clear of a corsa.....rubbish ecu's in them, .......go for a jap car........a Toyota starlet. Reliable and goes and goes and goes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Old hondas can be quite good, i had one for 900 euro and it served me like a loyal slave, still runs perfect although the seals around the windows are a bit worn now and need replacing.

edit - make sure its in good enough nick, or you will easily spend the money trying to get it to pass the nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Make sure its got a least 12 months NCT or don't bother - even on a cheap car.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Hi I saw ur post
    a Neighbour of mine is selling their 1.0 Suzuki 1997 for around a grand
    the husband had it from brand new but he is 88 now has alseimers and cant drive it anymore
    has only 27k on it and passed the nct last week i can put you in touch if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

roughan wrote: »
    Hi I saw ur post
    a Neighbour of mine is selling their 1.0 Suzuki 1997 for around a grand
    the husband had it from brand new but he is 88 now has alseimers and cant drive it anymore
    has only 27k on it and passed the nct last week i can put you in touch if you want
    Thanks for all your tips. I was bit worried about getting a jap car as I heard they crumble in a crash. Is this fair criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

to be honest with you a lot of old cars would crumble in a crash, our 07 toyota verso hit a 205 the other day barely a scratch on our car and the 205 was written off, although any micra Ive been in I have to say I felt unsafe in, and with that out there is the starlet depending on which you want the 1.3 last starlet is expensive for what it is so thats out and the old old starlet you could get in a 1L so take a look at that v expensive for theyre age

with this age age of a car just look for something in good condition, t belt changed, regular service and a nice long nct, thats what will prob give you reliability
    theres plenty 1.2 corsas on the markets so plenty of choice and the heads dont go in them the way they do in the 1L, fiesta is there and if looking at them get the 1.25 engine not the 1.3 or 1L-my recomendation, I like the polo- strong and well spacious, and well a mazda 121 would be the same as the fiesta unless youre going for the bubble car one which was a while ago and only available in 1.3L, bit girly but in a good way on the girly car note have a look at the Ka, also the seat arosa(which I like) because these cars are considered a model down from the likes of the fiesta and polo you can get a newer car for less money
    http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?quicksearch=&textopt=all&ofr_wan=ofr_wan&priv_trade=priv_trade&area=0&s=12&g=0&price1=&price2=&daysonline=0&automake=64&automodel=532&caryear1=1980&caryear2=2007&bSearch=Search

and the seat would be safe and out of the non jap makes would prob be most reliable due to volkswagen parts etc

gasp

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ohlordy

I drive a 95 fiesta 1.3, it aint the best car in the world but it hasnt given me a moments trouble in 2.5 years, bought it with 21 months NCT and it easily passed again last summer (with a replacement exhaust but thats just wear and tear!). Its quite economical, approx 250 miles per tank of daily cross dublin city driving, stretches to maybe 320/340 if i do a long distance drive. I would highly recommend one, as long as it has been well looked after thus far in its life. (has a drivers airbag too, which i was very surprised at when i bought it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I was bit worried about getting a jap car as I heard they crumble in a crash. Is this fair criticism?

I have heard this too, especially the Suzuki Swift, and have heard that age of Hyundai's go crunch very easily too. But if your city driving then you wont be hitting big speeds anyway so it depends.

I have a Seat Ibiza for over 3 years now and i really like it, good solid car for a small car and pretty realible, had to get a few things done on it but wear and tear/general maintainace is expected with whatever car you go for. Mine is the 1.9D which i knew was a good engine as its in the VW Golfs etc. so cant really comment on the 1.0/1.4 versions, but i havent heard anything bad about them so by default no news is good news! Although i will say that for the year you are looking at and looking for safety, airbags in the smaller class of cars were not standard and alot wont have them. 1.3 Toyota Corrolla might be something to consider, or like others have said, 1.2 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa is a decent choice, i heard of one for sale for a grand with a full two year test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

HJL wrote: »
    I have heard this too, especially the Suzuki Swift, and have heard that age of Hyundai's go crunch very easily too. But if your city driving then you wont be hitting big speeds anyway so it depends.

I have a Seat Ibiza for over 3 years now and i really like it, good solid car for a small car and pretty realible, had to get a few things done on it but wear and tear/general maintainace is expected with whatever car you go for. Mine is the 1.9D which i knew was a good engine as its in the VW Golfs etc. so cant really comment on the 1.0/1.4 versions, but i havent heard anything bad about them so by default no news is good news! Although i will say that for the year you are looking at and looking for safety, airbags in the smaller class of cars were not standard and alot wont have them. 1.3 Toyota Corrolla might be something to consider, or like others have said, 1.2 Vauxhall/Opel Corsa is a decent choice, i heard of one for sale for a grand with a full two year test.
    What about Citroen Saxo? Also I am quite tall a lot of these small cars can be difficult to drive if you are a bit tall, any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

What about Citroen Saxo? Also I am quite tall a lot of these small cars can be difficult to drive if you are a bit tall, any tips?

The Ibiza has a big car feel IMO compared to other smaller cars and is certainly roomy enough for me [5ft 11"] and the seat goes back a good bit futher. Id imagine all cars of this size would be fine in that reguard too, only thing is that rear leg room really suffers if you have back seat passengers.

I only ever sat in the driver seat of a Saxo but never drove one, didnt take a shine to it from sitting there, but that was just a brief first impression i got, i really couldnt say. They come in a nice range of engines though and are reasonably priced so it could be one for your shortlist, they are essentially the same as the Peugeot 106 and i prefer the Saxo's better. Micra is a very good car and realible, although personally i never liked them to look at and i drove one or two as well and disliked it, i also drove a Fiat Punto which i majorly disliked. Fiesta's are nicely priced too and are a decent car, cheap for parts too when it does need a bit of work. To choose one all rounder for value for money id personally recommend the Corsa 1.2

Advertisement