Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recipient can't open Openoffice doc

• 04-02-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

I sent an attachment in Openoffice but recipient cannot open it and requests me to send as word. I thought that word can open OpenOffice. Can anyone advise me?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Save the file as .doc type!

Nick

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Yup. You can change the defaults in openoffice to save as a .doc, rather then the .ocx file that it uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

OK guys thanks, knew I;) was going wrong somewhere

I have a choice of saving in several word doc eg word 97 and later

I have chosen Word 6 as this is the latest I have. I get a warning when saving in MS Word 6 that the document may contain formatting that cannot be saved in the MS word file.

Is there any way around that? The only way I see is to save as the OpenOffice type file and then this cannot be opened by recipient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ignore the formatting warning, happens every time you save a word in open office.

• Advertisement

rkm wrote: »
    Ignore the formatting warning, happens every time you save a word in open office.
    OK ;) all my documents are only saving as text now evn tho i choose word from drop down menu in save as

Can you post a screenshot of the save dialog?

Can you post a screenshot of the save dialog?
    Sorry can't do screen shot. Will see if I can get program to

There is a drop down menu with several choices to save as type. I choose Ms Word 6.doc or MS Word 97/2000/XP/doc and ignore formatting warning but all I get is a text file. In the properties of files created it just says file instead of ms word document (doc)

When I open a new OfficeOrg file as File/New should I be selecting text document?

can you try adding '.doc' to the filename when you save it.

can you try adding '.doc' to the filename when you save it.
    It worked! Thanks. i do not remember having to do that before though? See post 3 above? Well i did that it must have been undone somewhere. Found
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/25/configure-change-or-set-openofficeorg-to-default-save-files-in-microsoft-office-formats/

• Advertisement

I'm guessing there might be a setting still amiss, otherwise it's a bit strange.

I'm guessing there might be a setting still amiss.
    Seems that way but it is easy enought add dot doc

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In openoffice, go to tools, options, expand load / save. Near the bottom you'll see Document type in a drop down, and opendocument text next to it. Change opendocument text to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (it's up a few).

Job done.

MarkR wrote: »
    In openoffice, go to tools, options, expand load / save. Near the bottom you'll see Document type in a drop down, and opendocument text next to it. Change opendocument text to Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP
    I have done that

Thanks for that link. I have gone througn it all, most were ticked. Still when I create a file I have to put dot doc in the file name or it saves a just a text file.

I do not mind that but am curious because when a file is saved in notepad for example, the *.txt is already in the box and the * is removed and the name placed to the left of the dot

It's a strange one. The only thing I can think of is it may be a corrupt settings file, but that's reaching. You could try nuking the settings in the appdata folder if you're feeling adventuous.

It's a strange one. The only thing I can think of is it may be a corrupt settings file, but that's reaching.
    Maybe
    You could try nuking the settings in the appdata folder if you're feeling adventuous.
    Not that adventurous, maybe will just reinstall

Advertisement