Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel SUM formula problem (emergency)

• 04-02-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

SOrry if this is the wrong place but I need to sum a huge number of cells in a column in excel. Many of the cells have Divs in them. Is there any way to sum them and ignore the divs? Haven't time to fix them. Too complex for now.

Major thanks to anyone who can resolve asap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As far as I know the sum function in Excel ignores anything which does not resolve to a number. That is if a cell within the range contains a formula that returns a number the number is added to the sum,if the cell contains a string or a formula which returns a string it is ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

No. If there's a cell that's showing a Dix/0 error the Sum formula won't work. There has to be some way to ignore these though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carveone

Eglinton wrote: »
    No. If there's a cell that's showing a Dix/0 error the Sum formula won't work. There has to be some way to ignore these though

Hum. Interesting. If the values are in column B (say) you could create a new column in C with the value (in C1 first of course - sorry for the newbie treatment):

=IF(ISERROR(B1),0,B1)

then copy it down (usual way by dragging cell corner).

Then sum column C. Um... Can't think of a better way at the moment....

Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carveone

I found another method. Not sure you'll like it though!!!

It uses the DSUM function. Uh.. cannot copy and paste my excel example I guess so I'll have to talk you through it...

Blank worksheet:

A1: Numbers
    A2: 1
    A3: 2
    A4: =3/0
    A5: 4
    etc
    A10: 9

Right. Now.

A12: =SUM(A1:A10)
    gives you an error.

Add in:
    B1: Numbers
    B2: <>#DIV/0!

Note that B1 must be the same label as A1 and type B2 as is (don't put anything in quotes!).

Now add:

A13: =DSUM(A1:A10,"Numbers",B1:B2)

This gives you the right answer. The B column is a "criteria" and selects the database items you are interested in...

Look up DSUM in Excel help. The Criteria bit is quite scary. I mean detailed :)

Does this help!

Conor.

That sounds like it could be a runner alright. I tried it though and can't get it to work. I think I've followed your formulae. Screenshot below. I've highlighted in yellow whats in the cells beside them. The #Div/0 in B2 is just text.

• Advertisement

GOT IT! I was missing the <>. Doh!

Cheers for the help. I'll try it tomorrow at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Another option is to use
    =SUMIF(A1:A15,">0")
    This will ignore anything that is not a positive number.

rockal wrote: »
    Another option is to use
    =SUMIF(A1:A15,">0")
    This will ignore anything that is not a positive number.

Yeah that's a very good one. The only thing is it won't work if you want to sum cells that are not in a range. For example this won't work:
    = SUMIF(A1,A2,A5,A7,">0"). You'd have to put a sumif and ">0" with every cell reference.

Any way around this? Might be just a slight modification to the formula maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

All I can think of at the moment is:
    =SUMIF(A1:A4,">0")+SUMIF(A6:A10,">0") etc.

Advertisement