Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to learn first?

• 04-02-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I was answering someone's query on how to go about learning photoshop and started wondering if there's a sensible approach to it, rather than the haphazard, random way I picked it up. What would you say are the most important elements, and basic techniques, that are required to get the most out of your photos?

I'd be thinking:

Adjustment layers - the concept, why you use them rather than direct editing
    Levels - how to use them and what to watch out for - this would include reading a histogram
    Curves - following on from levels, to give you finer control
    Layer masks - to apply changes to just part of an image
    Sharpening - USM and high pass techniques, remembering to apply to a duplicate background layer
    Blending modes - (since you need to learn that to use high pass anyway) and for contrast
    Black & white conversion - different methods (gradient map, bw adjustment layer, calculations, channels)
    Dodging & burning - either straight on to the image (a duplicate background!!!) or using adjustment layers & masks etc
    HDR - but manually, as in processing a raw file twice and using the highlight detail in the darker one with masks

Whaddya think? Have I missed anything really important?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Clone and Heal tools are also important from the very beginnings.

By the way, if you had mentioned only beginnings, I haven't started yet. And it shows :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

elven wrote: »
    I was answering someone's query on how to go about learning photoshop and started wondering if there's a sensible approach to it, rather than the haphazard, random way I picked it up. What would you say are the most important elements, and basic techniques, that are required to get the most out of your photos?

I'd be thinking:

Levels - how to use them and what to watch out for - this would include reading a histogram
    Sharpening - USM and high pass techniques, remembering to apply to a duplicate background layer
    Blending modes - (since you need to learn that to use high pass anyway) and for contrast
    Black & white conversion - different methods (gradient map, bw adjustment layer, calculations, channels)
    Dodging & burning - either straight on to the image (a duplicate background!!!) or using adjustment layers & masks etc
    HDR - but manually, as in processing a raw file twice and using the highlight detail in the darker one with masks

Exposure & Gama correction..
    Filters.. colour filters & filter gallery.
    Hue/Saturation.. can make a big difference to a photo..
    For a complete beginner, it might be helpful to go through the different tools & brushes aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'd be thinking:

RAW.... ACR/Lightroom and are you going to do the exposure correction, curves, shadow/highlight there or in PS, thats the first thing I would be thinking of.

as for PS I bought Scott Kelbys Seven Point System for PS book and his premise is that the bits photographers need to know are

Raw processing
    Curves
    Shadow/Highlight
    Painting with Light
    Channels Adjustments
    Layer Blend Modes & Layer Masks
    Sharpening Techniques

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Histograms! After than curves levels etc should make a lot more sense.
    After that channels, masks and selections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Levels - how to use them and what to watch out for - this would

These two need to be numbers 1 and 2 respectively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement