Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car in 08 - head's melted!

Options
  • 04-02-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

First timer. Just returned from 6 months abroad. Looking to buy a car in the E35 - 40k region. Big change for me as previous cars were second hand, old and less than E10k so looking forward to spoiling myself!

Am thirty y/o bloke. Would like something with a 2l engine, good spec and looks good on the road. Looking at audi a4's and bmw 3 series at the moment. don't like the look of mercs or alfas for that matter. Don't mind whether new or second hand

Was thinking of new a4 or second hand bmw 3 series. 3 series coupes are gorgeous but new platform only came in in 07 so E46 looks a bit dated and E92 out of price range. Was coming around to 3 series saloon. Was looking at an E90 320iSE 06 with leather interiors for E38K. Liked it alot but then heard about proposed VRT changes and motor tax changes. Changes seem to affect bmw much more than audi given co2 emissions. Have pored over other threads on site and trying to figure out whether to buy now or hold off for new car in July which may enter affordable bracket.

It's not that I want the new car necessarily (as I reckon the depreciation is huge initially), it's that I reckon any second hand car now will suffer a big knock on depreciation come July not amind the road tax difference between pre and post july registration also massively affecting resale of older car.

Have the cash - it's burning a hole in my pocket but my head is melted! Buy now or wait until july?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Just to clear up even more confusion!

The E90 is the saloon.

The E92 is the coupe.

Rule of thumb, if you are buying a new diesel, wait until after July.

If you are buying new petrol, do it now.

This is a very rough rule though and varies from car to car - some VAG diesel engines for example.
    shanenchd wrote: »
    It's not that I want the new car necessarily (as I reckon the depreciation is huge initially), it's that I reckon any second hand car now will suffer a big knock on depreciation come July not amind the road tax difference between pre and post july registration also massively affecting resale of older car.

Regards

This is not applicable to all cars. If we're talking a new 320d BMW, very much so. If we're talking a new M3 (for arguments sake), that's not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you are buying any 3 series bar the 335i, wait. If you are buying any 4 cylinder A4, wait too.

You can have a new 325i, manual or Automatic for €430 road tax and 24% VRT if you wait for 5 months(compared to 30% VRT and €1290 road tax now). All you need to know is in the VRT sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shanenchd

Thanks MarkN - have amended. Didn't think huge difference in emissions between diesel and petrol models so making vrt and road tax similar in both?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

With respect, OP, I think you're approaching this backwards. From a purely economic viewpoint, spending €35k on a car makes no sense at all, especially at age 30. If a particular car was exerting a strong enough pull that you just have to have it then that's one thing, but don't go looking for a hole. Put price aside for the moment, and look for a car you like. When the right car comes along, you'll know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote: »
    With respect, OP, I think you're approaching this backwards. From a purely economic viewpoint, spending €35k on a car makes no sense at all, especially at age 30. If a particular car was exerting a strong enough pull that you just have to have it then that's one thing, but don't go looking for a hole. Put price aside for the moment, and look for a car you like. When the right car comes along, you'll know.:)

Really, care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

From a purely economic viewpoint, spending €35k on a car makes no sense at all, especially at age 30.

I am confused as well as to what age has to do with it?

It seems to me that the OP has an idea that he wants a BMW & that €35k is his budget. I get the feeling that he is looking for suggested alternatives & opinions on what he has suggested.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Really, care to elaborate?
    I am confused as well as to what age has to do with it?
    It is unlikely at age 30 that the OP has accumulated as much wealth as he will ever want. We all know that €35k spent on a car is essentially dead money. From a purely economic viewpoint, the money would be better invested earning money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

From a purely economic viewpoint, the money would be better invested earning money.

You are in a car forum. Economics doesn't come into it !!

The guy has the money and wants to spend it - good luck to him.

How about investing in the present !!!

It is unlikely at age 30 that the OP has accumulated as much wealth as he will ever want. We all know that €35k spent on a car is essentially dead money. From a purely economic viewpoint, the money would be better invested earning money.

He could also be dead tomorrow. I personally went through an experience that makes me want to live my life now, not saving for when I might make it to when I'm old & immobile. There is a balance of course, but I wouldn't say €35k is excessive.

scargill wrote: »
    You are in a car forum. Economics doesn't come into it !!
    We are all drivers, but we are all people too. Much as I love my cars, I do have other interests too. Don't you?;) Also remember that, as every enthusiast knows, more money spent does not equal a nicer car.

• Advertisement

He could also be dead tomorrow. I personally went through an experience that makes me want to live my life now, not saving for when I might make it to when I'm old & immobile. There is a balance of course, but I wouldn't say €35k is excessive.
    Can anyone actually read here?? I said 'from a purely economic viewpoint':confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Also remember that, as every enthusiast knows, more money spent does not equal a nicer car.

I agree with you there. But practically every single thread in this forum where somebody puts up a query along these lines.....

"I have €xxxxxx and I want to buy a ????????"

They tend to get the following replies....

€xxxxxx !! - are you mad ???
    you want to buy a ?????? - they are sh1t !!

I agree with you there. But practically every single thread in this forum where somebody puts up a query along these lines.....

Of course you're right. The point i'm making is that 'I have $xxx and want to buy a ??????' is a backwards way of approaching it. Much better to start by finding the right car, then doing the maths.

I

....followed by a recommendation to buy a Skoda Diesel.

....followed by a recommendation to buy a Skoda Diesel.
    In fairness, you could never accuse me of that.;)

Of course you're right. The point i'm making is that 'I have $xxx and want to buy a ??????' is a backwards way of approaching it. Much better to start by finding the right car, then doing the maths.

But you can't go to your bank manager or savings acount and say I've found this really nice Ferrari I like & it suits me, now I need €200k.
    You have to start with a budget, then think about what you see as acceptable running costs, then you know what you are limited to looking at. That's why all the search engines have filters for cost & engine size.
    For example €10k can buy a super mini (e.g. VW Polo) or a luxury barge (e.g. BMW 7 series), but the running costs are quite different.

But you can't go to your bank manager or savings acount and say I've found this really nice Ferrari I like & it suits me, now I need €200k.
    You have to start with a budget, then think about what you see as acceptable running costs, then you know what you are limited to looking at. That's why all the search engines have filters for cost & engine size.
    For example €10k can buy a super mini (e.g. VW Polo) or a luxury barge (e.g. BMW 7 series), but the running costs are quite different.
    Of course you need an upper limit, there's no point in looking at cars you absolutely can't afford. Within this though, the focus should be on what car to choose rather than how much to spend.

Of course you need an upper limit, there's no point in looking at cars you absolutely can't afford. Within this though, the focus should be on what car to choose rather than how much to spend.

I totally agree with what you are saying here, I would just debate the age factor. I dont think a 30year old should, solely by virtue of age, need to reconsider a 35k expenditure.

I totally agree with what you are saying here, I would just debate the age factor. I dont think a 30year old should, solely by virtue of age, need to reconsider a 35k expenditure.
    Me neither, which is why I didn't say that.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    From a purely economic viewpoint, spending €35k on a car makes no sense at all, especially at age 30.
    Me neither, which is why I didn't say that.;)

AH, took your disapproval of his age plus the value of the car as a vote against the OPs plan, I see what you were saying now.

• Advertisement

AH, took your disapproval of his age plus the value of the car as a vote against the OPs plan, I see what you were saying now.
    Don't worry, i'm not one of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shanenchd

Thanks for advice all

Advertisement