Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for late night jogging partner Beginner!!

• 04-02-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Looking for late night jogging partner Beginner!! Possibly prom after 9??Never really jogged before need advice with pacing- in late 20's, female, not super fit but not too bad, am determined. Would love to train with goal of part-taking in a short marathon... any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

bness, what do you mean by a short marathon?

where are you based? I would suggest ringing some local clubs if you want to get in contact with runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bness

Short- as in, 10k seems a bit scarey/presumptuous for a beginner. I'm based in Barna.

I can't imagine there are too many safe places to run in Barna after 9pm? How come this is the only time you can run? Have you done any exercise up to now?

10km is not an ambitious target for a beginner. As usual the advice is to take baby steps. Start with a run walk programme (run 1 min, walk one min) gradually building up the time you run and reduce the time you walk. Hla Higdon gives some training plans if you are the kind of person who likes structure.

As for the "short marathon" question. I was being a little be of a tease. A marathon is 26.2 miles (or 42.195 km if you prefer). 10 km is a 10 km race not a marathon or even a mini-marathon. Both are valid races but it is very very wrong to call anything other than 26.2/42.2 a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Fit4life is a programme that would suit you well.

Galway City Harriers
    http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/fit4life
    Athenry AC
    http://www.athenryac.com/fit4life and
    Craughwell AC
    http://www.craughwellac.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=78

all have a programme.

There isn't a better way to get started.

Alan

Oh well..... beginners have to learn somewhere- Yes 26.2 miles seems LonG (I'll be racing it for a while I think) - I study at night until 9- was thinking about the prom, Barna too dark... Thanks for the advice hunnymonster

Thank you for the site addresses Alan

• Advertisement

The prom would be good for a beginner in most aspects.
    1. lots of people around,
    2. nice place to run
    3. easy to tell how far you've gone & to see progress
    THe only downside (if I remember correctly) is that it is mostly concrete, which is the most difficult surface to run on. Make sure you have a good pair of trainers with enough cushioning.

Where are you studying? check out the NUIG dangan facilities. I hear good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

Hi bness,
    have the same intentions as yourself. pm me if your interested in running the prom some evening.
    thanks

Hiya saraj14...

Good on ya! How does tomorrow night sound (just to see how we go) 9.15? and which side of the prom suits, diving boards ok?.

Advertisement