Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Skyline reliability question

Options
  • 04-02-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I think this question may be a bit too general, but I'm going to ask it anyway...

If you bought an unmodified Nissan Skyline, early nineties reg., what would be the chances of getting a year out of it without any problems?

Or how much would you budget for possible problems?

I'm no expert on car mechanics, but I might get someone with a good knowledge to look at it first considering how old the car is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As I suspect you know, it's all about the actual car.;) Another thing to consider is long-term maintenance. It may well be possible to run the car for a year without maintenance, but what will the long-term effects of this be? I think your plan to have the car professionally examined is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Depends on the condition when you get the car of course! Nissan are good for reliability but the thing I would be worried about with a car like the Skyline is that it has probably been driven to crap and rallied about everywhere to show it off.

If its been kept previously and not rallied around then you should definitly get a year and more out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

+1
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Thanks lads. That all sounds very promising. The consensus seems to be that if I'm careful when buying it should be ok even though it's about 15 years old?

Should be an improvement reliability-wise on my current 2001 Megane so :D

Next job is to see if I could cope with the increased fuel, tax, and insurance costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

cfitz wrote: »
    Thanks lads. That all sounds very promising. The consensus seems to be that if I'm careful when buying it should be ok even though it's about 15 years old?

Should be an improvement reliability-wise on my current 2001 Megane so :D

Next job is to see if I could cope with the increased fuel, tax, and insurance costs...

Dont worry as much about age of car when buying a Japanese make. My last car was a 1995 Toyota and it ran better than my latest European crap bucket. (Toyota got rear ended by an almera and written off)

The point is that in the 1990s, the best cars were being built probably. I think the build quality was much better back then for Japanese cars than it is nowadays on most cars.

Any link to carzone or something for the Skyline you are looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Have a look on Skylineowners.com some of those guys have older R32's all going well.

Tax is not going to be so bad mine 2.5ltr is only gone up €60.
    Fuel can be bad if you drive hard (obviously) my legacy 04 2.5 auto estate burns more than my skyline.

Lots of skyline owners meet around dublin you should go ask some questions.

Chonker

chris85 wrote: »
    Any link to carzone or something for the Skyline you are looking at?

Well this is the one that caught my attention but I'm going to look at the options.

I like the idea of getting one that hasn't been modified at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

"Only 31k miles"

:eek: I would want proof that this is genuine!

kleefarr wrote: »
    "Only 31k miles"

:eek: I would want proof that this is genuine!

Yeah that's hard to believe isn't it?! If I'm going to think any further about that particular vehicle I'll have to see what the story is there.

Advertisement