Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Clapton

• 04-02-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Ok so, Eric Clapton, one of the greatest legends of this earth, is playing in Cork and Dublin in June. BUT, is €76.25 really worth it? I mean, i know its Clapton but Ive already paid 70 smackers for another gig in June, but it falls under those who must not be named. Im brooding. I love Clapton and would love to ssee him live. Help? Advice? Something?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Have to say I seen him in the Point a few years back and he was fantastic!!
    It is a bit steep though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

These days thats not the most you would pay to see a big name like clapton.

Almost everyone else that played in the last year that would fit into that bracket has been 100 or more. 76 is positively cheap !

mathias wrote: »
    These days thats not the most you would pay to see a big name like clapton.

Almost everyone else that played in the last year that would fit into that bracket has been 100 or more. 76 is positively cheap !
    I'd say its worth it. He's no Barbara Streisand now:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

personally i don't rate him that highly, i'd prefer jimi or definitely rory for that type of thing..no way would i spend that money to listen to blues bending and "baby baby yeah " all night. plenty of local talent out there doing it..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

steveone wrote: »
    i'd prefer jimi or definitely rory for that type of thing..

And when exactly are you planning on seeing either one of them live? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Jay P wrote: »
    I love Clapton and would love to ssee him live.

Problem solved, go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Well Eric Clapton is a legend. He's also in his mid-60's so he's hardly going to do many more world tours. After this, I'd say he'll stick to sporadic one off gigs. I got my ticket yesterday morning. Well worth every single penny of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well Eric Clapton is a legend. He's also in his mid-60's so he's hardly going to do many more world tours. After this, I'd say he'll stick to sporadic one off gigs. I got my ticket yesterday morning. Well worth every single penny of it.

While Im sure youre right about him not doing much more, its not guaranteed to be worth every single penny, old acts certainly do not guarantee a night of musical satisfaction, just ask anyone who has seen the chilis live.

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Problem solved, go :D

Ya, but the problem being wether i should spend €140 on two weekends, not including the bus trip, food and drink. And the tshirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you like him that much , then you'll always regret not going , personally , I'd go , you may not get another chance.

old acts certainly do not guarantee a night of musical satisfaction, just ask anyone who has seen the chilis live.

Some old acts , like the chilis , Dylan , Rem , etc ... are known consistently bad live performers .. Clapton on the other hand is known for being consistently good, even on a bad day I'd say hed still put on a pretty good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

mathias wrote: »
    If you like him that much , then you'll always regret not going , personally , I'd go , you may not get another chance.

Exactly, if someone I really wanted to see was playing here I'd definitely go. There's a few that I regret not going to that I wish I did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I saw Clapton when he was here before in 2004. It was an excellent gig, I might even go to this one again. I'd highly recommend it.

If you're into Clapton, Mark Knopfler (of the Dire Straits fame) is also playing in May. He's also very good, I'd also recommend going to that (cheaper too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Does he do much blues at the live shows or is it the more mainstream stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, when I saw him, he had just released an album at the time, so he played a good deal from that. Apart from that, it was really a bit of both (blues and mainstream) that he played. A good ratio really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

steveone wrote: »
    personally i don't rate him that highly, i'd prefer jimi or definitely rory for that type of thing..no way would i spend that money to listen to blues bending and "baby baby yeah " all night. plenty of local talent out there doing it..
    I don't rate him at all. One trick pony full of generic blues licks. Most overrated player of all time IMO. Still - he manages to fool the masses, but in serious music circles he's considered a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Clapton is God

GO

Saw him in the point back in 04. Fantastcic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

76 for the marquee as well?

Den_M wrote: »
    And when exactly are you planning on seeing either one of them live? :rolleyes:

ah yes, the great gig in the sky...expensive ticket, cost you your life..you never know the day nor the hour...:cool:

besides i don't need to see them live to enjoy their stuff.:) particularly rory, jimi could get noisy sometimes..

ec18 wrote: »
    76 for the marquee as well?

Yep.

As for Clapton being overrated, to quote Monty Python "I blow my nose in you general direction"

Clapton freakin rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm going, can't wait. It's gonna be savage!

Oh if only it were so easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Snake Nose wrote:
    I don't rate him at all. One trick pony full of generic blues licks. Most overrated player of all time IMO. Still - he manages to fool the masses, but in serious music circles he's considered a joke.

That's because you have no freakin' clue. Clapton wrote half the lexicon for blues-rock...too bad his fire died out around 1972.

And don't make me laugh with your "serious music circles". Teenaged metal-heads do not constitute a "serious music circle".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Snake Nose wrote: »

Fool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Gridlock wrote: »
    Have to say I seen him in the Point a few years back and he was fantastic!!!

i saw that gig too and i dont share the same level of enthusiasm and nostalga as you do! theres no interaction, he drags out songs plays then and f*cks off, i know you dont pay to hear him talk....but you kinda do! dont get me wrong it was a good gig, nothin spectacular, ans tbh not worth 70-80 to see him! especially in malahide castle, bad venue for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Funniest post of the year??

Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, BB King, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Freddy King, Robert Cray and Stevie Ray Vaughan - amongst others - all considered him one of the greats. He was single-handedly responsible for introducing a generation of American musicians to their own musical legacy. I guess they don't fit into your serious music circles either?

Go back to your Dragonforce :D

Funniest post of the year??

Jimi Hendrix, Albert King, BB King, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Page, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Freddy King, Robert Cray and Stevie Ray Vaughan - amongst others - all considered him one of the greats. He was single-handedly responsible for introducing a generation of American musicians to their own musical legacy. I guess they don't fit into your serious music circles either?

Go back to your Dragonforce :D

have to agree with snake nose..one trick pony should be the title of claptons new album ha ..
    claptons bag was he was a white man playing the blues before most of them.. he hit the mark at the right time too...funny you should post that list blackhorse.. i'd rate all of them bar probably robert cray as better than clapton..i was only listening to freddy king and howlin' wolf the other day ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Mo' like CRAPTON!

Not a fan...

No, I don't know why I'm even posting, so don't ask.

Hey! Sorry for resurecting such an old post but I'm going!!!! I decided today and now I cant flippin' wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jay P wrote: »
    While Im sure youre right about him not doing much more, its not guaranteed to be worth every single penny, old acts certainly do not guarantee a night of musical satisfaction, just ask anyone who has seen the chilis live.

Well they were pretty fantastic @ a certain castle few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Thanks for digging up this thread. Just realised he's gonna play the Monte Carlo festival.... so if you thought Clapton tickets in Dublin were expensive.... multiply by 5!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What a bunch of horse ****!

Advertisement