Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Coasting is popping up alot here can someone clear up when this would come aginst you in a test? just say your stopped at a roundabout you brake and clutch this considered coasting if you keep your foot on the clutch put it into 1st and takeoff? some one explain it please?

Coasting would be moving while unnecessarily putting your foot on the clutch, the situation you describe is not coasting, you break, clutch in, and stop, then while stopped go into first to move of, that's perfectly fine. A typical coasting situation would be, say, driving at 50km/h you start to slow down as there's a red light ahead, instead of cycling through the gears ie, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, clutch in and stop. You just put your foot on the clutch throughout the whole slowing process. I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A typical coasting situation would be, say, driving at 50km/h you start to slow down as there's a red light ahead, instead of cycling through the gears ie, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, clutch in and stop. You just put your foot on the clutch throughout the whole slowing process.

Just to clarify...this would be coasting only because of hte last bit (the clutch in throughout), as opposed to the suggestion that you didn't cycle through the gears.

Slowing to a stop at a red light, without downshifting, clutching as needed only at the end of the braking is not coasting.

Coasting is, basically, when you have the clutch depressed, unnecessarily, for any length of time, whilst moving. It doesn't really matter what gear you're in (or not in), or why you're doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

thanks for that lads have my test on monday so ****ting it. during the test when stopped on a small hill jus for a minute should you hold the car just with the clutch or put on the handbrake.also when popping the bonnet they will ask you for battery oil water and brake fluid and coolant yes/ what right answer for how to check your oil?

thanks for that lads have my test on monday so ****ting it. during the test when stopped on a small hill jus for a minute should you hold the car just with the clutch or put on the handbrake.also when popping the bonnet they will ask you for battery oil water and brake fluid and coolant yes/ what right answer for how to check your oil?

Dont hold the car with the clutch use the handbrake. Checking the oil would involve removing the dip stick, wiping it clean and reinsert it, and taking it out again to see the level.

Dont hold the car with the clutch use the handbrake. Checking the oil would involve removing the dip stick, wiping it clean and reinsert it, and taking it out again to see the level.

thanks alot mate.cheers might they ask anything else about the engine? how to check the coolant? brake fluid? window washer fluid etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

So as you are coming down in gears the procedure is .........
    brake.......press clutch and in to 4th when your at the right speed....release clutch keeping the brake pressed and so on all the way to 1st...

I guess my main point is do you keep breaking or do you release it after changing gear?

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    So as you are coming down in gears the procedure is .........
    brake.......press clutch and in to 4th when your at the right speed....release clutch keeping the brake pressed and so on all the way to 1st...

I guess my main point is do you keep breaking or do you release it after changing gear?

Keep your breaking continuous throughout, and you can block change from 4th to second if you don't want to have to cycle through all the gears.:pac:

:( so failed test this morning gutted..thought it went fine..observation on moving off killed me

:( so failed test this morning gutted..thought it went fine..observation on moving off killed me

Hard luck Celtic07, at least now you'll know what to expect the next time so you wont be as nervous, try and get another test asap!

Hard luck Celtic07, at least now you'll know what to expect the next time so you wont be as nervous, try and get another test asap!

yeah im going to try im going to be in college though mon to friday come next week. so will only be able to do the test on saturdays or bank holidays mondays over the next few months. this be a big problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

Sorry to hear that you failed Celtic07. Where did you do your test? I have mine tomorrow...any advice??

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you failed Celtic07. Where did you do your test? I have mine tomorrow...any advice??

sorry wasnt on boards till now. best of luck today thats if you havent done it already. let us know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

yeah im going to try im going to be in college though mon to friday come next week. so will only be able to do the test on saturdays or bank holidays mondays over the next few months. this be a big problem?

It shouldn't be - just mark all the days of the week when you are unavailable (i.e. everything bar Saturday) when you are filling out your application form again. You might have to wait a bit longer for your date to come around but there's no difficulty on the testers' side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yeah im going to try im going to be in college though mon to friday come next week. so will only be able to do the test on saturdays or bank holidays mondays
    Would you not consider the test important enough to sacrifice a half day off college? :confused:

Would you not consider the test important enough to sacrifice a half day off college? :confused:

yes ive decided to do that so put down any day..am very confident would get test next time failed on something so stupid:rolleyes:..lets just say the college isnt like a normal students college but something like a driving test is important so would get time off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lets just say the college isnt like a normal students college
    Fair enough (but now I'm intrigued! :)).

Good luck with the test.

do you usually get your test quicker when you apply after you failed than when you apply first time around?

do you usually get your test quicker when you apply after you failed than when you apply first time around?

Unfortunately you're treated like anyone else...but hopefully seeingthat waiting times seem to be falling it wont be too bad!

Unfortunately you're treated like anyone else...but hopefully seeingthat waiting times seem to be falling it wont be too bad!

Ah should hopefully have it by the 30th june anyway i hope:rolleyes:

Advertisement