Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sync iPod with xbmc

Options
  • 04-02-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Is it possible to store all music on xbox - and then sync iPod from there - or via laptop on the network?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is it possible to store all music on xbox - and then sync iPod from there

No not possible.
    or via laptop on the network?

Maybe it'll work that way. I don't know if iTunes supports music folders on network.

Why don't you do it the opposite way around. Store all music on laptop, then share the that music folder on your network and then play them on xbmc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Already have a wifi music player

But laptop hard drive is running out of space - so want to get all mutimedia off the laptop and onto something else!

The xbox is ticking all the right boxes - except the iPod sync problem!

Actually just tried iTunes with a network share - works fine!

So can you map a network share to the xbox?
    ongarite wrote: »
    No not possible.

Maybe it'll work that way. I don't know if iTunes supports music folders on network.

Why don't you do it the opposite way around. Store all music on laptop, then share the that music folder on your network and then play them on xbmc.

Yes you can map network drive to xbmc. Its the basis of how it works.

You are meant to keep data on pc or NAS device and then map them on XBMC.

Apologies - it's the other way round that I want to do!
    From laptop - map network drive (share on xbox) to laptop - then sync

I was going to put say a 500 gb hard drive into the xbox - and use that as my media centre

I don't want to have a buy a NAS device also, if I can avoid it!
    ongarite wrote: »
    Yes you can map network drive to xbmc. Its the basis of how it works.

You are meant to keep data on pc or NAS device and then map them on XBMC.

AFAIK but I haven't tried it out, the newer versions of XBMC supports UPNP and can act as a server. I don't know any PC clients and how to share with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks ongarite

If I can map the drive - I'll be sorted - I have seen webdrive (with FTP settings) mentioned in forums - which allows mapping to Xbox with a drive letter

Could be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work out

You impressed with xbmc?

Looking at one at the moment 85 sterling including 250gb hd - everything intstalled - 25 shipping though
    Also will need wireless bridge - and remote for full set up

I use it every day, fantastic piece of software,couldn't live without it.
    I have large HDD in my PC and stream everything to XBMC over CAT5 so its works without hiccups.
    I have installed XBMC for many people and a few with wireless bridges also. Be very careful with the ones you buy. Linksys do one, WET54G, there are many revisions on the market with completely different specs.

Edit: 500GB drive will need to formatted with XBPartioner or data lose will occur. The FATX file system and LBA BIOS can't read over 250GB drives without changing cluster size.

Cheers for that!

Have 2 Eircom Netopias - was maybe going to try one in bridge mode - otherwise yeah will have to try that Linksys!

Advertisement