Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternate to Fingal's e110 waste charge

Options
  • 04-02-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I'm quite annoyed with Fingal's forthcoming 110 euro waste charge. I feel that it is unfair on those who are good at recycling and don't produce much rubbish.

Last week I got a flyer from CityBin. They have three services - pay per use, pay by weight and pay monthly.
    Per use us e6.40 per lift.
    By weight is 30c per kilo.
    By month is e20 per month (and I presume no per-lift charge).
    They collect green bins every fortnight, and their black bins the alternate fortnights weeks.

I am probably going to change to Citybin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Are they in D15 though? I thought they operated in the City and Greenstar were in fingal. Other than that though I was looking at going to them myself.

Plus they collect your glass, plastics etc which helps save trips to the recycling centre or filling up the black bin.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are they in D15 though? I thought they operated in the City and Greenstar were in fingal.

They seem to be, but not everywhere. Click here for their collection schedule, which allows you to put the name of your road in. Unfortunately mine's not on it so I'm stuck with FCC for now.

Yeah,

same with me Zaph. Might check out greenstar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

When does the 110 fall due? No sure if it's related, but I've a feeling our bins haven't been collected for two weeks. (We haven't had to put our black bin out in that time, the others on the street are still there with tags attached days later and our brown bin wasn't collected yesterday)

jlang wrote: »
    When does the 110 fall due? No sure if it's related, but I've a feeling our bins haven't been collected for two weeks. (We haven't had to put our black bin out in that time, the others on the street are still there with tags attached days later and our brown bin wasn't collected yesterday)

Got a flyer through the door yesterday from FCC saying that it'll either be this month or next month. Oh yeah they also said they were cheaper than Greenstar :eek: Despite their comparison allowing for 16 lifts with them and 27 lifts with Greenstar. :rolleyes:

Statistics eh?

Pity Citybin don't collect on my street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

jlang wrote: »

The charge doesn't start until you get your brown bin, and for 2008 will cost €90 if you get it in February, €80 in March, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Oh yeah they also said they were cheaper than Greenstar :eek: Despite their comparison allowing for 16 lifts with them and 27 lifts with Greenstar. :rolleyes:

Statistics eh?
    The reason a Greenstar customer will need 27 collections is because they don't have a brown bin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Geordie_Girl

I'm really annoyed about the €110 charge and the bizarre way they justify it. They claim that their brown bin collection makes it worthwhile. I only bought a garden composter from them about 5 months ago, I know they won't take that away and give me my money back. Why would I want their brown bin when I have that?

Oh and if anyone saw their brochure recently comparing themselves to greenstar, they seem to think that their bottle banks (of which there are none close to me, and I don't drive so can't get to ones further away) are of equal worth to greenstar's doorstep bottle collection! They are seriously deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

My mother in Blanch has changed to citybin and a few people on her road too. They send you a text the night before to remind you to put your bin out. But they didn't show up this week. I think they're new so maybe give them a chance to get organised but not off to a good start....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I don't think any private operator can collect glass. I think Fingal took action against them.

• Advertisement

Enii wrote: »
    I don't think any private operator can collect glass. I think Fingal took action against them.
    Do you have any confirmation of this?
    I know that Oxigen don't take glass because broken glass in their green bins would be dangerous for their operators. Sure, glass is accepted at Rehab bring banks - there is one at my local supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I have citybin now (since two weeks ago) and both times when they supposed to empty the bins, nothing happened. Had to call to them, and then they came day after original collection day (its supposed to be on wednesday). Lets see what happens this weeks collection day...

Otherwise, if its starting to work, im going to have this service, 20e per month for 3 bins (normal waste, organic and recycling waste)
    And i think you got first 8 weeks free of charge.

This could all turn ugly because the county councils are moving the goal posts.
    See the Rule change for Dublin waste collection article.
    Dublin's four local authorities have changed the rules governing household waste so that only the Councils, and a private company who secures a contract by tender, can collect bins.

Advertisement