Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving an automatic

Options
  • 04-02-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all...

My parents recently both an automatice - one question regards doing a test in it (I know it will only be an automatic license etc etc etc)

My question - (during a test) should the car/van be put inot automatic everytime you stop at lights etc? (as you would put a "stick" into neutral) ???

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andinho

It should be Neutral and handbrake at the traffic lights....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

andinho wrote: »
    I pretty sure that's incorrect, the auto should be left in drive at all times unless parked, only the foot break should be used at lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

andinho wrote: »
    :eek:

It should be left in 'drive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

only the foot break should be used at lights.
    During lighting up hours, I'd use the park brake instead as a courtesy to the driver behind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

1) If waiting for very momentarily (a second or two), leave in drive. The footbrake should be held.
    2) If waiting any more than that, leave in drive, firmly apply the handbrake and the footbrake should be released (no need to dazzle folk behind).

(I'd say if waiting for a some considerable time, the handbrake should be applied and the selector moved to neutral. - I read a manufacturer's recommendation once about this, so the handbook might offer it's tuppence worth on the matter - opinions differ.)

One opinion and another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

During lighting up hours, I'd use the park brake instead as a courtesy to the driver behind.

Ah yes, that's a good point actually. I hate those <SNIP> :D, ah no, i'm not that aggressive behind the wheel.

Advertisement