Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP cannot start

• 04-02-2008 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭

My niece is having a problem with her laptop (Compaq). I have tried to help without success. She is getting the following message:
    windows cannot start as the following file is missing:
    windows\system32\config\system.
    I have tried booting from the original CD,set up loads the files but then tells me that it cannot detect a hard disc drive. I managed to get into safe mode and did a diagnostic scan but nothing suspect there.
    Any suggestions anyone ?
    Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Run the setup CD and select R for Recovery.

Use the following commands when asked to....

FIXBOOT

FIXMBR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

Username! wrote: »
    Run the setup CD and select R for Recovery.

Use the following commands when asked to....

FIXBOOT

FIXMBR
    assuming of course that the recovery procedure recognises the current windows installation.
    i had the exact same error recently on a job i was doing.
    the recovery console couldn't detect a windows installation, so i had to put in a new drive and rebuild from scratch. the old drive was also clicking slightly, so i reckoned it was on the way out.....

Advertisement