Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tbird Inbox > 2Gb

• 04-02-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

My Dad's Inbox file in Tbird is currently just over 2Gb and it won't accept new mails. The first symptom was that any mails since 8am yesterday morning are displaying a mail he received 7 years ago! I'm assuming it is the oldest mail in his mailbox.

I got him to delete a load of mails and move some sub-folders out of the inbox to bring it down. Then he compacted it. Now the mails that he deleted are all back in there and so are the folders he moved out. When he tries to download new mails he gets an error that the mailbox can't be written to.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm pretty sure that I can rename the inbox file and create a new one to start with a fresh one but I want to make sure that the current file will still be readable - as OldInbox or something - but just as a separate folder. Or is there anything else I should try first? If I upgrade Tbird I wonder will that fix it? Not sure what version he has but it's probably 1.x.

I'll be remoting to his machine when I get home from work to try to fix it so if anyone has any ideas I'd welcome them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

He will have to clear the mails from the server where there hosted. It is probably set to leave a copy on server, so that's why your seeing mails you deleted reappearing. I'm not overly familiar with Tbird, but there might be an option for this.

If this is not the problem, it might be a damaged pst file. There are tools available to repair them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mails are cleared from the server when downloaded. And it's recreating the subfolders too which is not server-based. Also it's Thunderbird - not Outlook so no pst files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Maybe you could export the mails from Tbird and create a new profile, then import them back in. Ideally there should be an option to achieve the mails.

Ok, I found a guide from the TBird forums on how to do this here, scroll to end of page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You should really consider putting a limit on emails per folder.
    I have a limit of 20 per folder and I never have to worry about manually deleting etc etc.

Right click folder > Properties > Retention Policy > Untick Server Defaults > and set it manually there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You haven't met my Dad :D

Anyway I got it sorted.
    1. Move all crap and subfolders out of the Inbox. File stays at 2Gb. But all previous subfolders get their own file.
    2. Compact the Inbox. This doesn't do what I expected which was to actually compact the Inbox. What it does is create a new file called NSTMP and compacts the Inbox into that. All existing mails stay in the Inbox but are duplicated in the new file. The new file is at 750Mb but I'll deal with that another time.
    3. Left-click on the NSTMP in Tbird - that makes it build an index for it. I can then see all the existing Inbox mails in there.
    4. Close Tbird. Rename Inbox and Inbox.msf (the index file) to InboxOLD and InboxOLD.msf.
    5. Rename NSTMP and NSTMP.msf to Inbox and Inbox.msf. You can probably just delete the msf file cos it rebuilds it anyway.
    6. Open Tbird and the new reduced Inbox is working fine.

What a PITA :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement