Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Integra Type R DC5

Options
  • 04-02-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Was down test driving a DC5 today and something caught my eye. It may be nothing but i would like to ask you anyway.

So the car is only in from Japan about 3 weeks and is a 02 Year car.

Sat into it and loved it. Started the engine and it sounded sweet as i revved it it sounds great.

The car has not been serviced since arriving from Japan but for anyone owning a DC5 can you tell me.

When i turned the keys all the dash lights came on as normal. Once i started the car they all went out except for the Engine shaped light in the left hand side of the dash.

No other warning lights came on. What does that light indicate, i thought that after the full service etc it may go out?

Should it not go out once the engine is started?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would this be the DC5 that JapMotors(avoid) have up near the airport?

Do you mean the yellow altenator light? Or the Red battery light?

Its unlikely that the car has been serviced since it came off the boat.. may need a new battery and/or Altenator.. either way dont buy the car until its been fully serviced and NCT'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

mil.jpg

Like that? If so, it's a problem with your engine management system - you'll have to get it plugged into a diagnostic tester to see what's up.

Like in this article?

http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=CEL

Although if i was the op id walk away.. loads more DC5's for sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Would this be the DC5 that JapMotors(avoid) have up near the airport?

Do you mean the yellow altenator light? Or the Red battery light?

Its unlikely that the car has been serviced since it came off the boat.. may need a new battery and/or Altenator.. either way dont buy the car until its been fully serviced and NCT'd.

No its not JapMotors.

Its the Yellow light on the left side. They said that if i was to buy it, it would be fully serviced and GUARANTEED to pass the NCT test when i get it done a few days after i pick it up.

They would give me a 3 month engine and gear box warranty also.

So it needs to go onto the computer and be checked you reckon? Or what else could it mean?

Definetly needs to be hooked up to a diagnostic program to get the fault code.. could be anything, e.g. code 41 is an O2 sensor(v expensive, and cant get in IRL)
    A full list is here: http://www.k-series.com/dtc.html

I know Ciaran Reilly motors in Newcastle(co. Dublin) is the only one who has the specific diags program for the DC5.. so it may not be likely the place your getting it from does..

Have you seen any other DC5's around that you like?

• Advertisement

Definetly needs to be hooked up to a diagnostic program to get the fault code.. could be anything, e.g. code 41 is an O2 sensor(v expensive, and cant get in IRL)
    A full list is here: http://www.k-series.com/dtc.html

I know Ciaran Reilly motors in Newcastle(co. Dublin) is the only one who has the specific diags program for the DC5.. so it may not be likely the place your getting it from does..

Have you seen any other DC5's around that you like?

No this one is really nice.

Needs a new back badge, new glovebox and a new cd player which they said they would do before i would pick it up. They said they would FULLY service it also before collection. And guarantee the NCT pass.

Only 44000 miles, 71000 Km on the clock and the car is very clean in the inside. I am going down again on Wednesday to check it out and i will ask about the Light on the dash etc. I have got cars from them before and NO problems with them at all.

It may just need a service and to be checked over.

Thanks for your input so far mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

why would a 02 teg need a glove box, a rear badge and what not?

i would walk away fast lad. spending alot of cash, you can get teg dc5's from the norn or uk just as good, actually 01/02 apparently had 'weaning' problems or something, maybe not explained so well but basically i read that because they were a new batch tyey had some relatively minor issues which were addressed with newer models, 03- onwards.

and that management light could be anything.

its a sweet car alright, i might get one when i get to japan, a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

DC5 is OBD-II, no? Any modern scanner can read it.

Aftermarket O2 sensors are cheap in motorfactors. OEM ones are dear, but can be gotten in Ireland (might be bit of a wait tho).

But, the point is, in order to get the light to go out, they may do something as cheap as take the bulb out. I wouldn't buy without knowing what's wrong, so that you can check if they've fixed it.

why would a 02 teg need a glove box, a rear badge and what not?

i would walk away fast lad. spending alot of cash, you can get teg dc5's from the norn or uk just as good, actually 01/02 apparently had 'weaning' problems or something, maybe not explained so well but basically i read that because they were a new batch tyey had some relatively minor issues which were addressed with newer models, 03- onwards.

and that management light could be anything.

its a sweet car alright, i might get one when i get to japan, a new one.

Because someone stuck a key in behind the badge and broke it off, you can see how they did it. The only reason it needs a glove box is because the other is scratched and i said i wouldnt buy unless they got me a new one.

They are only cosmetic problems so they dont bother me at all.

Just need to raise the Light on the dash with them and see what they come back with. If i dont like the sound of what they are telling me then yes i will not buy it.

you must be getting an extremely good bargain! It could have been modified for track racing in Japan, or worse, could be a damaged repairable.. you just will never know.. ask them for the auction sheet also...
    I know one dealer who tryed to sell a Civic EP3 and one of the seats was further away from the pillar than it should, i.e, had a heavy side impact.. was nct'd and all though!

I got my 01 DC5 for 18k with nct and tax.. not a single days problem and its driven hard..

• Advertisement

you must be getting an extremely good bargain! It could have been modified for track racing in Japan, or worse, could be a damaged repairable.. you just will never know.. ask them for the auction sheet also...
    I know one dealer who tryed to sell a Civic EP3 and one of the seats was further away from the pillar than it should, i.e, had a heavy side impact.. was nct'd and all though!

I got my 01 DC5 for 18k with nct and tax.. not a single days problem and its driven hard..

Yeah i am getting a good bargain mate but i NEED to raise this dash light with them before i hand over the money. It could be a simple problem or not. I have been around the car with a fine tooth comb, checking for ANY impact damage on the relevant joints etc. It is clean from those.

Checked all of the seats and joints on the side skirts/panels, all checks out.

Its completely standard also, no modifications done, 220 BHP standard.

That light is also a maintenance required light.. so let them service/nct it and provide you with the warranty before you hand over the readies!

I got mine without warranty,dont normally need it! As Honda are usually bulletproof.. and its not given any problems at all.. the 3 month gearbox warranty is not worth it for a Teg.. but in this case id make sure it was covered!

That light is also a maintenance required light.. so let them service/nct it and provide you with the warranty before you hand over the readies!

I got mine without warranty,dont normally need it! As Honda are usually bulletproof.. and its not given any problems at all.. the 3 month gearbox warranty is not worth it for a Teg.. but in this case id make sure it was covered!

Yeah i had a Type R Civic before and it came on when the car needed to be serviced so i was thinking they are the same engine essentially so it may be that. Honda is an amazing car and make amazing engines so i am thinking it might just be the service. Hoping so because its a sweet car.

Getting a 3 month engine warranty also, again nothing major as the car is a Honda but nice to have none the less.

I will drop down again Wednesday morning and see what they say.

As i have said before, i got a Type R Civic and an Evo 7 off them and those cars were perfect, cousin is still driving the Evo 7.

We service the cars every 4000 miles and only use Redline Oil in the service.

logik wrote: »
    Yeah i had a Type R Civic before and it came on when the car needed to be serviced so i was thinking they are the same engine essentially so it may be that. Honda is an amazing car and make amazing engines so i am thinking it might just be the service. Hoping so because its a sweet car.

Getting a 3 month engine warranty also, again nothing major as the car is a Honda but nice to have none the less.

I will drop down again Wednesday morning and see what they say.

As i have said before, i got a Type R Civic and an Evo 7 off them and those cars were perfect, cousin is still driving the Evo 7.

We service the cars every 4000 miles and only use Redline Oil in the service.

I got a good deal when i told them i didnt want the warranty.. and its grand nearly 5 months later.. i got the oil changed with Motul oil/hamp filter, top stuff, tuning factory are the only suppliers here.. Other than that ive ordered a DC sports manifold from the UK, to match up with the 5Zigen Exhaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

you can get teg dc5's from the norn or uk just as good
    I always thought they only sold DC2's in the UK? The DC5 was a Jap only car AFAIK.

E92 wrote: »
    I always thought they only sold DC2's in the UK? The DC5 was a Jap only car AFAIK.

DC2/EP3 both official UK imports.. only the EG9 and DC5 were unofficial imports, can be sold here or UK... or anywhere!

The DC5 was a Jap only car AFAIK.
    Acura RSX is also a DC5. Type-S is somewhat like a JDM ITR.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Buy a 1.8TD Mondeo instead man. Much better car.

Would have said Golf TDI meself, with as many red letters as you can get your hands on (they're red so they must be good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

JHMEG wrote: »
    Would have said Golf TDI meself, with as many red letters as you can get your hands on (they're red so they must be good).
    Sure there's nothing as fast as a red T red D red I Golf:D!

• Advertisement

Sure there's nothing as fast as a red T red D red I Golf:D!
    Shur we all know they're weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL, there's always one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An Octavia TDI has a bigger boot than a DC5 AFAIK

colm_mcm wrote: »
    An Octavia TDI has a bigger boot than a DC5 AFAIK
    I believe the Octavia TDI has a bigger boot than the standard TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think you understand. the boot is actually bigger than a DC5.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't think you understand. the boot is actually bigger than a DC5.
    LOL!

You're probably right.:D

LOL good man, i should have thought of that... :P

Back on topic though guys,

I am looking for input from anyone who owns or owned a Civic Type R or an Integra Type R.

What is the WORST that it can be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

logik wrote: »
    Back on topic though guys,

I am looking for input from anyone who owns or owned a Civic Type R or an Integra Type R.

What is the WORST that it can be?

http://www.itr-dc5.com

the owners club would be the best place to ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Had the same problem myself the other day with a civic, the car was driving fine though, and after a few hours it just went away. I think it was something to do with the extremely damp weather, I'd just got it back from a valet too so there would have been a lot of residual moisture from that too .. possible. I have no real clue.

Failing that it could just be a faulty 02 (for some reason the board is sensoring the word 0xegen.. )sensor which I have read about a fair bit on 02 Honda's. Not sure on the Integra's but on the 2002 civics there is a wire under the car that connects to the 02 sensor, you could have a look for that too maybe and see if it's damaged.

Hope that helps a bit

Advertisement