Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Solo?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you going solo on the mocks? (i.e. Not using/looking at the cheat threads). Before I have to call the fire brigade to quench some of your flames ;), I'm not having a dig at those of you that are using those threads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm not going to look at any mock info before I've done them. TBH, I personally think the fear and uncertainty of not knowning how I would actually do under s
    real exam conditions would freak me out a lot more than doing badly in them by myself... After all, if I cheat in them I literally have no idea where I'm at in terms of the actual leaving cert

That's just me though, I fully accept that for some people, it's more about keeping external pressure (from family etc) off, and that's completely reasonable. But TBH, I decided at the start of sixth year, "**** everyone else, it's MY leaving cert and I Should only worry about my own opinion of myself". What other people think of your results won;t actually matter, what WILL matter is whether or not you can get into a course you'll enjoy and can make something of...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

+1

Pre's=Time Management. Nowt more, nowt less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

haha haven't done mocks yet, start feb 18th, and i havent done anything either yet. Plan is to use the mocks to scare the **** outta me.. i should really have freaked out already so here's hoping.

Something funny: I was in a board meeting for "% for arts scheme" from 9-4pm one day last week, then when it was finished a fellow student and I were left alone in the meeting room cleaning up and noticed a box on the floor under a cabinet thing labelled " LEAVING CERT. MOCKS E-CRAFT" with all of the papers divided into levels and subjects sticking out of the box in envelopes...was very funny actually.
    we didnt open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Middle of my mocks currently, (naturally online every night), not looking at any of these threads, I don't even know what company my school is using.. think we use different ones for different subjects...

A lot of my teachers essentially told us what was on our mocks though. In Irish, suspiciously almost every question that came up was one we'd got for homework in the weeks leading up to the mocks.. that sort of thing. My art teacher told us pretty much exactly what's coming up too. In one way it's bad, but it's also good... you're much more likely to succeed at studying half your course than trying to study it all and failing ultimately, for example. I only prepared 3 poets for English Paper 2 (which was today, eugh), because I knew I was safe to do that. If I'd had to learn all 5 (one of which we haven't even done anyway...) it would have been too much and I would have done a half assed job at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

''going solo''! *sniggers* :p

but yes,this time next year i intend to go it alone and try and pass on my own back,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Ye do realise that half the people posting on the mock thread will probably not post again or even you use their account again after their mocks are done. They are only fooling themselves at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Ye do realise that half the people posting on the mock thread will probably not post again or even you use their account again after their mocks are done. They are only fooling themselves at the end of the day.

Fecking leeches on Boards' genorosity! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I dont' think that looking at the paper is necessarily a bad thing. People like myself (lazy people) can't study. I mean, I have never studied properly for a test. I may be immature but come the Leaving Cert I would imagine that I won't need a bad mock to kick me in the arse. Looking at the paper improves your knowledge of the subject so how can it be detrimental to your LC chances? Simply put I believe that it can only be beneficial when it comes to the real thing. I'm learning stuff I don't know well enough and putting it down under exam conditions. (Well, trying to learn.) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Yeah I refuse to look at any of the mock papers on here, it defeats the purpose of them imo. It'll be good to see how I get on not knowing what's coming up, and will be a source of comfort come the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

I feel sorry for anybody who thinks they're under so much pressure for the mocks that they need to look at the paper beforehand. I mean it's the mocks for god's sake, the result doesn't actually matter in the long run & by the time it even arrives it'll seem like ages ago. If anybody is afraid of the consequences of a bad mock result then someone or something is putting too much pressure on. If you were supposed to be fully ready for the Leaving Cert now then there wouldn't be 4 months left, so it's inevitable that you're gonna feel like you have a lot more work to do...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

cson wrote: »
    Fecking leeches on Boards' genorosity! :p

True true.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I plan to use them for time management too. Especially for subjects like English and History. I need to learn how to write under pressure as at home you're at ease, you *know* you have time.

I'm doing 7 subjects, 6 at higher and 1 at ordinary.

Doing these subjects, Maths (O/L), Eng, Irish, French, History, Art and Biology.

Biology and History are the hardest for me because they are factual. There is only one correct answer. One of the reasons I dropped to pass maths. I was always making up my methods, XD.

Pres are starting on the 19 Feb, I have all next week to cram stuff in. The teachers have been giving us tests all week which helps us prepare for stuff. So I must resist the next 12 days of not looking at those threads.

I mean why would you look at the threads and only learn those things? You're fooling yourself. You don't have to learn everything off by heart. Learn the most common things. Like for english, why learn all 6 poets when only 2-3 will come up. You're best at learning 3-4 and you'll be fine.

My two cents. :<

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

JSK 252 wrote: »

Both comments are true...but are not linked in any way!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Just finished mocks today and I'm proud to say I didn't cheat in a single one... well actually I'm not proud because I don't think anyone should cheat but there you go.

I've been giving a right kick up the ass as far as Biology and Maths are concerned so I'm really going to work on them. Maths paper 2 was just unbelievable!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're allowed a victory dance, Nerdysal :) Keep it up and you should do fine in June.

Advertisement