Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German/Bavarian sausages in Dublin

• 04-02-2008 7:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get decent German/Bavarian-style sausages in the Dublin area?

The best I've found so far are some pre-packed Bratwurst in Aldi, which were nice enough but far from being the real deal... I'm thinking more along the lines of a place that either makes them fresh or imports them from authentic butchers etc.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I think Hicks do a pretty decent Bratwurst.

I've seen them for sale in packets of 5 in Morten's near to the Beechwood luas stop, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere also. They're pretty tasty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm not sure about this, but you could try a Fresh shop.

They do all kinds of weird and strange stuff :)

There is one beside the Hilton Darndale. Or on Camden Street opposite Whelan's. Or in Smithfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭geuro

Fallon and Byrne ion Exchequer street do some delicious german sausages.. i reckon you will get what you are looking for there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

flogen wrote: »
    The best I've found so far are some pre-packed Bratwurst in Aldi, which were nice enough but far from being the real deal... I'm thinking more along the lines of a place that either makes them fresh or imports them from authentic butchers etc.

If you want what your average German Herr or Frau eats you could do a lot worse than the Aldi or Lidl sausages. In my time living there, that's generally the calibre of what I've seen them eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hill Billy wrote: »
    If you want what your average German Herr or Frau eats you could do a lot worse than the Aldi or Lidl sausages. In my time living there, that's generally the calibre of what I've seen them eat.

The Nuremburgers I've bought in there are IDENTICAL to the ones I've had in Germany.

mmmm.... sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I like the ones in Lidl. I don't dare to imagine what goes into them though.

Quite nice with mashed spud and sauerkraut on a winters evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JaxMax

I had a delicious German sausage type of thing (in a bun) at the Farmers Market at Liffey Valley, this was a while ago though so not sure if the guy is still there but I'm sure he was selling them 'uncooked' as well. His sauerkraut was delicious too.

Jax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

apart from the farmers market mentioned in JaxMax's post where else could I get my hands on sauerkraut.

can I get it in Aldi / Lidl ?

I'm looking for some German style food to go with German Beer.

now that I mention it . does anyone know where I can obtain those Bavarian style pretzels ?

danke

Gollem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JaxMax

You'll probably find it in Aldi or Lidl, not tried it from there so not sure what it's like. I've bought sauerkraut from Superquinn and Londis before and neither was very nice. The stuff I tried at the Farmer's Market at Liffey Valley was very nice.

If anyone does know where to get a decent sauerkraut I'd love to know as well please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

apart from the farmers market mentioned in JaxMax's post where else could I get my hands on sauerkraut.

can I get it in Aldi / Lidl ?

I'm looking for some German style food to go with German Beer.

now that I mention it . does anyone know where I can obtain those Bavarian style pretzels ?

danke

Gollem

No idea on the prezels.
    You can get sauerkraut in Aldi or Lidl. Even my local Supervalu stocks it.

Tchuss!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement