Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism!

Options
  • 04-02-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Thinking of reapplying to the CAO for Journalism (with Italian) in DIT. I'm in Arts in UCD at the moment, did it only for the Italian modules but it's not quite going as planned :(
    Anyone doing this course? Can you give me any advice, ie is it any cop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Hey hey,
    Couldn't tell you a bad thing about the course except for the occasional bad organisation on DIT's part.

Only do it with Italian if you are very serious about the language. I think you can do it without a language next year but i'm really happy I did mine with French but like I said, be prepared for a LOT of Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It's a nice course, and it caters to a lot of differant people. It's a bit like arts, but it doesn't go into any of the subjects in as much detail. For example you do sociology, law, economics, history and politics ... but you only hit up certain aspects of those topics and they only last for a semester. It's quite interesting and will keep you on your toes, it's not a course that allows you to get bored too easily.
    The language is a major part... are you sure you can do it with Italian though? In my current class there's only French,German, Irish and Spanish ... the year above us had no Spanish despite a small number of students asking for it.

The course (like most DIT courses) really gears you up for the job you'll face after college, and you'll soon find that there are a lot of aspects to journalism and the media that aren't amazingly glamourous. People seem to enter the course with varying impressions of what it's about. In my class there are people who want to be famous faces, others who want to fight the good fight, travel the world, become writers etc etc ... so there tends to be a good mix of personalities looking to get differant things out of it.

The admin in DIT is a bit of a joke though... be warned about that, you may very well go insane coming from UCD.

Anyhows, I've kinda been half paying attention to what I've written so it probably doesn't make sense, but feel free to ask questions, there are a few journo heads floating around here with varying degrees of love/loathing for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

The admin in DIT is a bit of a joke though... be warned about that, you may very well go insane coming from UCD.

:D what an understatement! ;)

Advertisement