Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney - Good places to rent?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Another Oz question i know but was wondering if anyone has some good websites for apartment lettings in Sydney and areas especially?Hitting there in June sometime and would be great if i could get some good recommendations, price advice also welcome!

Was trying to stay clear of the Bondhi area heard its a bot of a kip......

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭langerdan79

you're coming at a good time as it'll be winter here then. bondi is far from a kip, its the irish pubs that you want to avoid. just head into the city to darling harbour or the rocks for a good night out.
    depending on what you want and how many of ye are going to be renting then it could go from $100 each to $200. really depends on whether the place is furnished, how long ye intend to stay, distance from the beach, etc.
    not sure if i can put the websites but the mods can delete them if needs be
    www.gumtree.com.au
    www.furnishedproperty.com.au/

otherwise just check the 7th floor of the dymocks buildings in george st (near myers) to the travellers place which has lots of listings. only other advice really is to suss out what place you want to live and head out there and find an internet cafe, lots of ads in these places

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Was trying to stay clear of the Bondhi area heard its a bot of a kip......

Bondi isn't a kip, it's teh places people stay that are teh kips.
    It's the same as a J1 when there are 6 backpackers staying in a 2 bed apartment you don't say San Fran is a kip :-)

But exactly what langerman said, gumtree is a good place to look, alot of competition around for beach places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Thats good to hear ( that Bondhi aint that bad) I was wondering why it was so popular an area, point noted!

ya I think il try GumTree when I get there,probably silly to worry about accomodation before I go as il have to wait till I gte there to view anyway but good to get an idea of areas to sat in.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Bondi is certainly not a kip, there are some amazing places to live around there.
    For my 2 cents, I think North Sydney and the harbour suburbs are overlooked. I lived in McMahon's Point just beside the harbour and bridge-I REALLY felt like I was living in Sydney, either crossing the harbour bridge in a train or getting the ferry to work every day! It's very close to the Rocks etc for nights out too, and with less backpackers it was easier to get short term accom. I got a 3 month lease on a furnished apartment, which is rare, but very handy if you're not sure how long you're stayin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

How much did you pay a month there ^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Id like to know the same, did you have to take out a lease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I stayed in the Terraces in Newtown
    They are backpacker orientated and a great way to meet people.
    Rent is $145/wk and theres only a rule of 1 months notice required

Newtown is also a nice area, really funky with cool restaurants (big variety) & bars with a good atmosphere as the college is very close to the area

Check them out - Sydney Terraces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Silentsleeper

Newtown is a great spot im currently living there wouldnt want to live anywhere else in Sydney now. great shops restaurants and cafes. Great for live music, Kellys and Marly always have good live bands at the weekend.
    When I first got over i rented through The Furnished Property group website quoted by LangerDan www.furnishedproperty.com.au I had a lovely place in Bondi for 3 months and i found the service and the staff great. Staying in Syd permanantly now so didnt need a furnished apartment any longer and i was over Bondi, but i would highly reccommend them to anyone staying short term. They have a lot of properties around the Inner west and Eastern Suburbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

I lived in burwood in the inner west in 2003 for a few months, really nice place altough some people seem to think its dodgy but not in my experience, not too many backpackers live around there which was heaven for me as i prefered not to get into the whole backpacker thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Jugs82 wrote: »
    I stayed in the Terraces in Newtown
    They are backpacker orientated and a great way to meet people.
    Rent is $145/wk and theres only a rule of 1 months notice required

Newtown is also a nice area, really funky with cool restaurants (big variety) & bars with a good atmosphere as the college is very close to the area

Check them out - Sydney Terraces

Newtown is full fo lesbians. And not the good kind. I'm currently living in the terraces. Theres actually only a 2 week notice period now. It was some craic about 2 months ago, but then people start leaving and everyone got very clique. Apparently it goes in phases. Good -> bad -> good -> bad.

Also, the pictures on the site look good, but they're not that nice. Good camera work me thinks! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Anyone know the Gosford area?
    Is it miles out of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

preddy wrote: »
    Anyone know the Gosford area?
    Is it miles out of the city?

Yes about 75Km, it's actually the central coast rather than Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Hows the Rosebery area?

Advertisement