Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dressing 'smart'

• 04-02-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

hi..
    am going to an interview on friday (trying to get into a school) and have to dress 'smart'??

any suggestions??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I think a really white blouse and black trousers always look smart. But that's just me!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PlayGirl wrote: »
    hi..
    am going to an interview on friday (trying to get into a school) and have to dress 'smart'??

any suggestions??

thanks

Glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

glasses?

no that will make her look so hot the interviewer may come onto her :p (glasses make every girl look hotter tbh).

white blouse with trousers will suffice me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Make sure it's a good white blouse that's not see-through :eek:

Any colour nicely crisp shirt and trousers look professional, have your make up, hair and nails done nicely too, always makes a good impression! Nothing too mad now, a nice light coat of white nail varnish I find looks clean.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Hair - Back in a simple pony, nothing elaborate and easy on the product

Earings - If you must then only small studded ones.

Glasses - Yes, they does make you look smarter.

You want to ideally wear a simple dark pant suit with a nice crisp white blouse. Skirt - Don't but if you must make it below the knee with dark tights.

Get your hands on a small leather notepad, and a nice pen to have in your bag, looks much better than dog-eared post-its and a manky biro. Whip them out (steady-on) to take notes etc.

You can get a nice leather ladies briefcase (made from plastic) in any bag shop, looks very professional.

Shoes - Nothing sexy or glam - you want simple flats that say "I'm academic, and reliable - not girly and vapid."

Make up and perfume - No perfume, easy simple make up, bare or nude lips, no blusher, easy on the eye make up, too much makes you look sexy.

Please don't forget to switch off your mobile, you'd be surprised how many
    people forget this and it tumbles them completely.

If you have trouble making eye contact with people and find it a bit intense, simply stare at the
    bridge of their nose. This is a trick that politicans use, it makes you look like you are focused, but
    does not take it out of you like looking into someone's eyes does. Try it on a pal before you
    use it, I think, you'll find it useful!

When you smile always, compress yours eyes slightly, sends a subconscious signal that this
    is a genuine smile, and I am a genuine person, another politician's trick.

Drink plenty of water and get a good night's rest on Thursday.

Best of luck!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

If you're trying to get into a school, or even college, I don't think a suit is necessary. You just need to look smart - trousers and a shirt or 'respectable' top should do. Go easy on the make up and don't wear too much jewellery and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

well got a pair of nice smart trousers in town today and found a white shirt in the house, but its very wide..
    do you think a dress makers would be able to take it in all over the body in a day?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wear a nice, not low cut top. Doesn't have to be a blouse. Maybe a v neck top or something.
    Just be polite, it'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

PlayGirl, I'm gonna go against the other advice here and say not to wear a white shirt, I think the white shirt / dark trousers thing makes you look so bland and forgettable. It's unfortunate but true that first impressions DO count, and you want to be remembered, not blurring into the crowd. Yes definitely do the smart trousers shirt combo, but I would go for a nice coloured shirt or top (which complements your trousers, and as Pythia says not low cut), or you could try maybe a coloured scarf or brooch or something. Colour says confidence in a way the white shirt / dark trousers combo says 'blend-in'. But another +1 for not over-doing it on the make-up - my theory does NOT apply to lipstick / eyeshadow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

PlayGirl, I'm gonna go against the other advice here and say not to wear a white shirt, I think the white shirt / dark trousers thing makes you look so bland and forgettable. It's unfortunate but true that first impressions DO count, and you want to be remembered, not blurring into the crowd. Yes definitely do the smart trousers shirt combo, but I would go for a nice coloured shirt or top (which complements your trousers, and as Pythia says not low cut), or you could try maybe a coloured scarf or brooch or something. Colour says confidence in a way the white shirt / dark trousers combo says 'blend-in'. But another +1 for not over-doing it on the make-up - my theory does NOT apply to lipstick / eyeshadow!

Good advice, I don't like the black trousers/white shirt look, it's been done to death. Go for a colour that suits you instead.
    well got a pair of nice smart trousers in town today and found a white shirt in the house, but its very wide..
    do you think a dress makers would be able to take it in all over the body in a day?? :confused:

I don't know if about a dressmaker being able to do it in a day or not, it's a fairly fiddly thing to do especially if it's more than a couple of sizes too big, the sleeves and everything would have to removed. I wouldn't bother tbh, I'd just get a new one, you don't have to spend a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

well the trousers arent black, they are grey/blue and actually very nice trousers IMO..
    well i left the shirt in and they said they would try their best to take it in by tomorrow, so if not i suppose il just get a new one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

well the trousers arent black, they are grey/blue and actually very nice trousers IMO..
    well i left the shirt in and they said they would try their best to take it in by tomorrow, so if not i suppose il just get a new one :rolleyes:

sounds perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Cremo wrote: »
    glasses?

no that will make her look so hot the interviewer may come onto her :p (glasses make every girl look hotter tbh).

white blouse with trousers will suffice me thinks

My boss hates glasses on employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Featherl wrote: »
    My boss hates glasses on employees

You want glasses that make you look like a bit of a nerd, but in a good way:
    bill_gates.jpg

Not the sexy secretary temptress look:

Nana-Mouskouri-Spotlight-On-Nana-316205.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

PlayGirl, I'm gonna go against the other advice here and say not to wear a white shirt, I think the white shirt / dark trousers thing makes you look so bland and forgettable.

Hopefully she'll be remembered for her charisma and talent! Not the colour of her blouse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hopefully she'll be remembered for her charisma and talent! Not the colour of her blouse!!!

fuzzywiggle, I'm with you 100% But it is an unfortunate fact of human existence that first impressions do count. Same applies to men and women. If that first impression can be 'I am confident, smart, serious', surely that's better than 'I am somewhat under-confident and prefer to blend into a crowd'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

what about a little silk scarf tied around your neck.. Polka dots maybe?

Advertisement