Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vat qualifying car uk?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have seen a few of these advertised in the uk? They are over 6 months old and have over 6k km, I imagine its some kind of bik where the car is bought by a company for a director and the initial vat is claimed back? Is it done in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Wondered about the VAT qualifying thing myself. However I think it may be to do people buying the cars to export them.

To avoid paying VAT twice, once in the country of origin (typically UK / Northern Ireland 17.5%), and then again in Ireland at 21%, if the car has over 6000Kms and is over six months old, it would then be VAT exempt here when imported, however don't forget the dreaded VRT.

I was looking for a specific make and model with a diesel engine here about two years ago, the suppliers to Ireland at the time were only supplying one spec. with a petrol engine. I contacted a dealer in NI, and he said he couldn't supply the car I wanted to me VAT free, he suggested that I could order the car I wanted from him and the garage would then run it as a demonstrator for six months and ensure the milage was over 6000km. I could then take delievery of the car and would only be liable for the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

ARe you sure they are cars and not car vans.

Am guessing they are diesel cars as well.

Commercial vehicles in Ireland, you can reclaim the vat same in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnny101

100% sure they are cars, usually diesels. Would there be any difference on the v5 form that would tell the vro over here that the car is vat qualifying? I vrt'ed an e39 yesterday (after a power cut in the santry office...) but there was no mention of vat (presumably because it was over 6 months/6k km)

Advertisement