Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheldon Brown

Options
  • 04-02-2008 9:44pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just heard that Sheldon Brown passed away. Very sad news. He taught a lot of people a lot of things about bikes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

sad news indeed. I always turn to his site to help solve all those problems i inevitably encounter when trying to self-service the bikes. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That is a shame alright. Only 64, he must have been ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sad to read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

shít, that sucks. His site was a good source of info.

Very sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

According to Wikipedia
    "In August 2007 Sheldon was given a fairly definitive diagnosis of "primary-progressive" multiple sclerosis."

Maybe that's what got him in the end.... it is an awful loss though, very useful guides on his site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Sad, sad news. Thankfully, I got the chance to mail him a few months ago to tell him how awesome his website was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm so sorry to hear/ read this sad news but thank you OP for posting it. Sheldon was a good man and the world is a lesser place without him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Very sorry to hear that. His site was a mine of information, and which singlehandedly taught me to build a wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

He died of a massive heart attack - it wasn't MS in the end. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Very sorry to hear that news. Loved his site, he had a contagious passion for cycling, and he came across as a really decent guy too. Answered all my questions about fixed gear when I started looking into it.

The world is poorer without him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

Use the site alot for info and advice, on an internet full of haters and critics his love for all things cycling was fatherly. I hope they maintain the site.

maybe he'll be reincarnated as a handbuilt italian track frame, who knows?

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

I was very sorry to hear this. His site showed him to be a very generous man who lived life to the full. I'm sure he'll be widely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That's very sad news indeed. His website was mega; learned lots from it and saved me making some silly mistakes. What a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

he'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Very sad news - really enjoyed wasting work time reading his site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Amen to all the above - cant say I ever conversed with him but his site was a goldmine of information, always positive and encouraging, and I read his autobiog with pix of him and his family, seemed like a very down to earth person. His name was known all over the internet as the authority on fixed gear bikes, and his pages were of great help to me when I built my first bike.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The cycling world is a poorer place without him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd know f-all about biked without him. What a man. God rest his soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I used his site quite a lot to find info on bike repairs.

R.I.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Legend
    RIP

Advertisement