Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd car on insurance

Options
  • 04-02-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if an insurance company will let you have 2 cars on your policy?

One car in my name, one in my wifes?

The car in my name will be used full time, the car in my wifes will be used rarely and will sit in the drive most of the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Answer is a straight NO.

2 cars means 2 policys. And 2 differnet sets of no claims bonus. If she was named on your car for years, then she has zero years no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Damien360 wrote: »
    Answer is a straight NO.

2 cars means 2 policys. And 2 differnet sets of no claims bonus. If she was named on your car for years, then she has zero years no claims.

Some companies accept named driving experience as no claims, may have a slightly less discount than full NCB, I know my insurer have given me NCB for named driving experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Answer is a straight NO.

Never a straight no. You generally get full credit for named driving experience (and why shouldnt you!). I certainly did with Hibernian some years ago.

Another option is to buy a classic! a limited milage policy will not be more than €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have relatives who have something called a shadow policy for the same purpose as the op is talking about. Don't know much about the specifics though.

Was'nt aware anyone did this. I am with FBD and when I tried there was no way. I tried loads in 05 when I was insuring 2 cars and everyone said no. Mind you, one was home use and the other was doing 30000 miles a year for work and I was insuring it. Good to know for again !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

situation is, my wife has her own car that she drives...its in my name but she insures it as her being the main driver. She has a Full NCB in her name

my current car, is in her name, but I insure it as me neing the main driver (I also have FNCB)

(long story, but not that long)

anyway, I'm buying a replacement in a few weeks and if by chance I decided to keep my current car, could I have it insured fire & theft while it is in my drive?

So you have 2 policys at the moment. Policy is for driver and when you buy a new one you just change the policy to reflect the change of car. Am I right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I have two policys. The first uses the ncb but insurance company gave no discount for the second. So i went to a broker and they "mirrored" my ncb for the second policy. Its still alot more than the first policy but also alot less than the price i got from the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

This broker defiantly does shadow policies, but i cant remember who the actual insurer is;

Hickey Clarke & Langan Ltd.
    Hegarty House,
    Ballymacool,
    Letterkenny,
    Co Donegal.

TEL (074) 912 6688
    FAX (074) 912 4271

So you have 2 policys at the moment. Policy is for driver and when you buy a new one you just change the policy to reflect the change of car. Am I right ?

I have 1 policy and my wife has 1 policy.

Hers will not change

If I decide to keep the car I am currently driving I would like to have it insured at least for F&T. The new car will have fully comp

• Advertisement

contacted my ins company and they will cover it for a week after the changeover for €65 TPF&T. Bit steep for 1 week insurance if you ask me

Advertisement