Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wolfetones

Options
  • 04-02-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Whats your opinion on the Wolfetones?

I've been a fan for a few years now and i dont consider myself a scumbag or a IRA activist, I enjoy there songs and stories. One of my favorites being The Merman. As much as i like the ballads.

What are your views of The Wolfetones?

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Who R dey Wolfetones?1

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and you dare to call me a terrorist while you look down your gun?

Stupid village pubs and their jukebox....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

If only we had a music forum! Oh wai........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

In fairness keep it here. I think its more a discussion of whether rebel music is acceptable to listen to, rather than whether we like the actual sound of the Wolfe Tones.

Personally nothin like a rake of pints and a bit of Come Out Ya Black and Tans :)

I see nothing wrong with exploring other Point of Views. In my opinion for instance its silly to be labelled an X for listening to Y. Theres some strange taboo that some people have about listening to both sides of an argument with the same objectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I was working in a hotel a few years ago and The Wolfe Tones had booked a room for a "concert".
    By 12.30 there was about 30 Gardai and 5 paddywagons and lots of blood to clean up.
    A great night had by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I seen them twice, both times the venues they played in were packed and everyone enjoyed the night. Btw didn't see any Gardai outside on either occassion or any blood for that matter.

I seen them twice, both times the venues they played in were packed and everyone enjoyed the night. Btw didn't see any Gardai outside on either occassion or any blood for that matter.

Weren't you the lucky one.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seen Derek Warfield and Sons of Erin. Great craic.
    I recall this black lad at the gig who was singing along like mad, knew every single lyric. Fair play :D

I've actually also some music by Brian Ervine, brother of David Ervine. Good voice on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bros123 wrote: »
    I was working in a hotel a few years ago and The Wolfe Tones had booked a room for a "concert".
    By 12.30 there was about 30 Gardai and 5 paddywagons and lots of blood to clean up.
    A great night had by all.

I too was working in a hotel with a Wolfe Tones concert. We had plastic glasses like you see at gigs. There were still paddywagons and plenty of arrests though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Don't really like the Wolfetones, much prefer Eire Óg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Same here.

Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Re. the Gardai & blood, well I think someone's imagination was running on over drive!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Hate Irish ballads, it's like really bad Country and Western but just adapted for a different country with even worse lyrics, this shouldn't be moved to the music forum because Irish ballads aren't music, they're just noise accompanied by oul fellas that drink and smoke to much shouting semi-intelligible drivel into a microphone. Just because it's "Rebel" songs ( :rolleyes: ) doesn't mean it's music.

Example, Every Christy Moore song ever can be summurised as:

I met a dog
    It was on a log
    He ate a frog
    I seen a fog

Ohhhh listern varna, Listern Listern Listern Listern Vaaaaarrrrnaaaa

I seen a chick
    She had a dick
    I had a lick
    I'm not taking the mick

I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mairt wrote: »
    Re. the Gardai & blood, well I think someone's imagination was running on over drive!.

Yep, it's always the sober bar staff who lie, never the punters drinking.:rolleyes:

micmclo wrote: »
    Yep, it's always the sober bar staff who lie

If the cap fits....

Baudelaire wrote: »
    I rest my case.

Does that mean your leaving us now?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My view is that they're sh*te. I like rebel songs and don't really care if they fall into any particular political group, but I've heard alot of their stuff and it's really bad. Ever hear of harmony, fellas? She's great, you should give her a shot. The Dubliners (among others) do every ballad better than the Tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish traditional music - drinking and chaos

Does that mean your leaving us now?.

Why, does me expressing an opinion thats contrary to your own make you cry? I believe the original question was "Whats your opinion on the Wolfetones?" and not "Whats your good opinion on the Wolfetones?", I gave an opinion that was on topic, your reply wasn't and I'm not the only person that posted that thinks they're crap but I seem to be the only one you felt the need to single out...mmmm...intresting, did I hit a nerve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,181 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Overheal wrote: »
    Point of Views

Points of view, FTW.

There's a special forum for the Wolfe Tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Met Brian Warfield in my branch a few weeks back, nice man.

Only really got back into the Wolfe Tones a few years ago. Throwing aside all the political bollox, they do sing some rousing songs. "Come out ye black and tans" is one such song. Have to say my favourite is "The Streets of New York".

Hate Irish ballads, it's like really bad Country and Western but just adapted for a different country with even worse lyrics, this shouldn't be moved to the music forum because Irish ballads aren't music, they're just noise accompanied by oul fellas that drink and smoke to much shouting semi-intelligible drivel into a microphone. Just because it's "Rebel" songs ( :rolleyes: ) doesn't mean it's music.

Example, Every Christy Moore song ever can be summurised as:

I met a dog
    It was on a log
    He ate a frog
    I seen a fog

I seen a chick
    She had a dick
    I had a lick
    I'm not taking the mick

I rest my case.

You don't know much about Irish music so. What a retarded comment to make :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I got dragged along to see them in the Wexford Inn years ago. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a gig less in all my life. I hate all that rebel song sh1te at the best of times, but when you're surrounded by a couple of hundred people shouting "Up the 'RA" every few seconds it adds a whole new dimension to it. I couldn't wait to get out of the place, the music was bad enough but the atmosphere was bloody intimidating.

stepbar wrote: »
    You don't know much about Irish music so. What a retarded comment to make :rolleyes:

Actually I know alot about it since I was forced to endure it as a child, just because I don't subscribe to the whole "It's Iorish so it must be good" mentality doesn't make my opinion retarded, it makes your opinion retarded because you assume everyone should like it like it's a rule. The simple rule here is if you all can't take an opinion that's opposite to your own well then questions shouldn't be asked that are open to the opposite of that opinion, simple as. As I said already the question was "Whats your opinion on the Wolfetones?" not "Whats your good opinion on the Wolfetones?" thats an open question that accepts the possibility of bad opinions too, my opinion is they are crap, can't sing for sh*t and sound like a bag of cats being fed through a Combine Harvester, it's no less a valid opinion than yours. If you want everyone to agree with you then I'd suggest setting up your own forum and then you can ban people that disagree with you :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I personally can't stand rebel songs. I understand where they came from and respect that but unfortunately all I can associate them with is Celtic jerseys and scum bags.

Same here.

Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Are you taking the piss???My imagination most certainly isn't running on overdrive and i can still vividly picture the blood,vomit and broken glass left by the very cultured audience that attended that evening.

Absolutely fantastic stuff??
    I certainly don't think so.:rolleyes:

Actually I know alot about it since I was forced to endure it as a child, just because I don't subscribe to the whole "It's Iorish so it must be good" mentality doesn't make my opinion retarded, it makes your opinion retarded because you assume everyone should like it like it's a rule. The simple rule here is if you all can't take an opinion that's opposite to your own well then questions shouldn't be asked that are open to the opposite of that opinion, simple as. As I said already the question was "Whats your opinion on the Wolfetones?" not "Whats your good opinion on the Wolfetones?" thats an open question that accepts the possibility of bad opinions too, my opinion is they are crap, can't sing for sh*t and sound like a bag of cats being fed through a Combine Harvester, it's no less a valid opinion than yours. If you want everyone to agree with you then I'd suggest setting up your own forum and then you can ban people that disagree with you :rolleyes: .

Of course its a retarded opinion. FFS you've just said that Christy Moore's life work boils down to a few well worn limericks :rolleyes:. Have you ever actually read one of his song and understood the reasoning behind it? I doubt you would know where Christy Moore gets his inspiration from. It's far from "semi - intelligible drivel". Now if you had to say something like "I don't like the way he sings" yada yada yada, I might have let it pass. But no, you tried to say something smart which wasn't very smart at all and pretty much stereotype every other Irish song along with it.

As for the Wolfe Tones, they have a mix of terrible songs and some that are very intelligently written. Nothing wrong with that.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I personally can't stand rebel songs. I understand where they came from and respect that but unfortunately all I can associate them with is Celtic jerseys and scum bags.

In the same I associate the song black hole sun with epileptic flashing lights and psychedelic barbecues?
    Zaph wrote:
    I got dragged along to see them in the Wexford Inn years ago. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a gig less in all my life. I hate all that rebel song sh1te at the best of times, but when you're surrounded by a couple of hundred people shouting "Up the 'RA" every few seconds it adds a whole new dimension to it. I couldn't wait to get out of the place, the music was bad enough but the atmosphere was bloody intimidating.

Have we been drinking in the same pub? :p I just ignore them and go back to my drink personally. From what I hear the songs dont really reflect the current situation - they just perpetuate the old one. I view them as a nice piece of history; in that way they're somewhat enjoyable. Granted hearing suspect people shouting up the RA can get old.

• Advertisement

Of course its a retarded opinion.

I'll assume you're talking about your opinion here.
    FFS you've just said that Christy Moore's life work boils down to a few well worn limericks :rolleyes:. Have you ever actually read one of his song and understood the reasoning behind it? I doubt you would know where Christy Moore gets his inspiration from.

LOL Christy Moore was never inspired, Freddy Mercury was inspired, Phil Lynott was inspired, Christy Moore is a cheap second fiddle to real musicians that don't have to rely on crappy rhymes to inspire their audience which is why they had worldwide fame and he'll never be anything but a paragraph in "The big Irish book of famous(but only in Ireland and a few pubs in Boston) Irish Singers".
    It's far from "semi - intelligible drivel". Now if you had to say something like "I don't like the way he sings" yada yada yada, I might have let it pass. But no, you tried to say something smart which wasn't very smart at all and pretty much stereotype every other Irish song along with it.

Mainly because every other Irish ballad follows the same suit, it's not music it's not even an talent, all they do is pander to the crap most "rebels" want to hear. They could sing anything(even what I wrote) and "The Rebels' would all be there baying like donkeys and stamping their feet like something out of Deliverance :rolleyes:
    As for the Wolfe Tones, they have a mix of terrible songs and some that are very intelligently written. Nothing wrong with that.

About as intelligent as Britany Spears on acid but at least she's something to look at.

Advertisement