Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnostic's - would it find the solution to this fault?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

hi,

The "door's open" warning light and BONG keeps coming on a mate's car occasionally when driving and i'm trying to fix it as a favor..............its driving him mad.............and now me too...............will a plug into a Diagnostics unit tell me what switch or wiring is faulty?

the cars a Hyundai..........

Thanks in adv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd start by putting a bit of WD40 or silikon spray into the door contact if were you ...probably the little "nose" that goes in and out and activates the switch is a bit stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I've had them all out.............and wd40'd them all.

Still BONGS!!!!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd still agree with peasant. The fault is most likely with one of the door contacts. Any of the doors have a slight tip such that it's barely pushing in the contact sufficiently?

What about the contact on the boot, does this bring on the interior light? If it is it might just be this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If it has the little "Button Nose" type switch somewhere on the door frame I'd start with taking that out and taping the wires together to bypass the switch. Do this one at a time to try identify the dicky switch.

Does the car give any indication of which door is open?

Be careful that the car doesn't need to adjust the windows based on whether it thinks the door is open or closed, á la E46 coupé. Also, the switch for the BM coupé is inside the door as part of the lock receiver so your problem could be in there if Hyundai use a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's the drivers door switch if the bong for the keys is coming on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the door pin switch sounds a little too simple., are there any aftermarket electrics installed? an alarm, new stereo, phone kit ect., it only take a ground signal to cause that beeping and if theres any dodgey insulated wiring done it can be touching something metal and causing the beep the sound.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

SEt the interior light to come on when the doors open. If the lgith stays on with the door is shut then it is the little switch as described above. Not sure where it resides in a Hyundai but it could be built into the doro catch or a separate unit.
    I have seen this happen on a few cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It depends on two things, what your definition on diagnostics is and what type of system is fitted.

A lot of people wrongly regard diagnostics as –
    1. Reading fault codes that tell what is wrong
    2. Plugging in a scan tool/computer that tells what is wrong.

In reality there is a lot more to diagnostics. An in-depth knowledge of the system is required. I am not particularly familiar with Hyundai systems but they will be similar to most others.

I suspect you want to know if a scan tool could help to fix this particular problem.
    A fault code is unlikely in this case. The circuit for the door switches arrears to be at fault, i.e. a false positive, but the control unit that is receiving the false signal does not know it is false, hence no code.
    The warning is most likely in the cluster. It may be possible to access live data in the cluster to see which door is reported as being open when the symptom occurs. The car may have a lamp control module whose live data could be checked in the same manner. This would narrow the fault to one circuit. The circuit in question would then need to be checked.

In short, the scan tool would help but definitely not fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hi,

well, i fixed it. Colm was right - because it was bonging, it was the drivers door.Thanks Colm!
    So, i took out the switch and noted the rubber glove over the switch was wearing away - so i cut out some rubber to size from an old switch glove i had and fitted it inside the glove and superglued it in place.

works perfect now - thanks for all the help.

NIF.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cork_ie

peasant wrote: »
    I'd start by putting a bit of WD40 or silikon spray into the door contact if were you ...probably the little "nose" that goes in and out and activates the switch is a bit stuck.

Do that and you will swell the plastic over time and cause the switches to stick. WD40 should NEVER EVER be used near plastics.

To the OP - most likely your fault is one of the door switches is earthing or door not closing properly. Check if there is a bonnet switch fitted for an aftermarket alarm. These are often wired in parallel with the door switches in cheap alarms and could cause the symptoms you describe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement