Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill bit to drill through external wall?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hello,

I want to bring a wire from a satellite dish on the back of the house into one of the rooms at the back. The question is, where would I get a drill bit that is long enough? Is there any particular name for them? I had a look at the B&Q website but they all look like the regular length ones.

I have a standard hammer action drill. Will that do the job?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

You might be better off hiring a higher power drill along with drill bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Nah, your drill will more than likely be fine. You'll get a long bit for it in McQuillans on capel street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

Hi
    Ideally you want an SDS bit and a good drill, depending on your house wall's you'll probably break your heart with a non SDS and ordinary drill, some houses are brick, some are block, some cavity and some are CONCRETE, if its a concrete wall you'll be wasting your money and energy buying a black and decker bit.
    If you hire a good Hilti SDS drill, long 10mm SDS bit, you'll have the job done in 5mins guaranteed, no hassle, the drill will do the work, and if you explain in your local hire shop that u only need it for 1hr and they may give you a fair price and even 1 days hire wont be much more than the price to buy a long bit.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

What shakey said plus, drill from the inside out (or you run the risk of a big chunk of plaster being knocked off on the inside of yer house). Start with the hammer off to get your spot on the wall started and then turn on the hammer action. Call into your local electrical supplier and see if you can get a wall grommet to cover the cable entering the wall, prevents rain getting into the wall.

Another option is if the house is pre-wired with coax points. These should be ending up in the attic somewhere. If you run the sat cable into the attic and connect to the one thats running to your tv area, then it makes for a much tidier job. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Xennon wrote: »
    What shakey said plus, drill from the inside out (or you run the risk of a big chunk of plaster being knocked off on the inside of yer house). Start with the hammer off to get your spot on the wall started and then turn on the hammer action. Call into your local electrical supplier and see if you can get a wall grommet to cover the cable entering the wall, prevents rain getting into the wall.

Another option is if the house is pre-wired with coax points. These should be ending up in the attic somewhere. If you run the sat cable into the attic and connect to the one thats running to your tv area, then it makes for a much tidier job. Just a thought.

Cheers Xenon. I would prefer to being it in through the attic but I can't do it from the inside out. I tried but couldn't manage it. We had NTL previously and the engineer pushed the cable through from the outside and I was able to pull it in from the attic.

I'm afraid of heights and I don't know anybody with a long ladder and a good head for heights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

how high?

Advertisement