Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights as a landlord

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Please move if its the incorrect forum

One of my tenants moved out with 2 days notice. Now he usually pays his rent at the end of the month. This month he didnt and moved out today giving his notice on Saturday to one of the guys in the house.

I still have his deposit which should cover his bills. and the days he was in the house for free. And also the cleaning of his room.

Now he didnt clean the room, just moved out. Also the other guys in the house noticed an iron mark on the sitting room floor that had a monitor strategically placed over it. Looks like the iron was left there for a couple of mins and melted the carpet leaving the mark. The mark is straight in front of the fireplace.

Now what can I do, can I report him to organisation so that he doesnt pull this stunt again.

My main annoyance at this stage, is the 2 days notice and now the other lads in the house are now left with finding a new tenant and their bills go up for the duration.

Any advice????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ginger wrote: »

My main annoyance at this stage, is the 2 days notice and now the other lads in the house are now left with finding a new tenant and their bills go up for the duration.

Any advice????

Why is it the tenants job to find a replacement? Are you renting the house entirely or room by room.
    Because if you are renting out individual rooms then it's your job to get a replacement. The lads may do this for you since they want to pick someone compatible. But don't be suprised if they refuse. Why should they take time to put up an internet ad or pay for an ad in a paper?

Keep the deposit and if you can find a tenant in less than a month then use the extra cash to make the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I am based in Norway and my house is in Ireland. They are all on individual leases. Finding another person doesnt effect them really only that the bills are divided by 3 instead of 4.

The reason that I leave it to them to find a new tenant is so that they can interview the person and be happy with the person that they find rather than me doing it all from Norway. I pay for the ads etc. They just take the calls and do all the interview and they are free to reject people as they call it. Its a system thats worked for the last 2 years.

I am keeping the deposit and have sorted with one of the lads that he will use that to take care of the bills and clean the room (i pay him) and it pays for the new ad. If there is any left he will transfer it back to me.

Advertisement