Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Accommodation 08/09

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a Masters in NUIG next year, where's the best place for student accommodation?

Looking for student residences preferrably.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

student accom in galway and post grads may not match. hell, it's there for you but you may regret the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sorry should have said I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartment as ill be sharing with a classmate.

Would I be better off renting privately so, might be hard to get 9 month leases though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Rent privately. Landlords are happy when anyone takes a lease for a minimum of six months.

Aim to secure a property in August. Look at classifieds on www.galwayadvertiser.ie or www.daft.ie

Are you familiar with Galway? Where would you like to live?
    Do you have a car? If so, Salthill is only 3km and you wont get stuck in any mega traffic jams (unless you have to be in NUIG for 9am - nightmare!). Parking is a pain in the nads at the college though.

Are you okay with using public transport? The number 2 bus from Knocnacarra via Highfield Park/Taylors Hill is a 20 minute bus ride off peak. Houses/apartments in Knocnarra are aplenty and pretty new so you will get a choice. It's not a very studenty area so you get a lot of study done:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    student accom in galway and post grads may not match. hell, it's there for you but you may regret the noise.

I'm a postgrad living in student accommodation (Dunaras) but I'm not bothered by noise because I was put in a separate area for 4th years/post-grads.

I was, however, bothered by the broken oven, broken tv, damp, overheating boiler, black mould, etc.

I suggest private rented accommodation.

I'm not sure where to suggest, but if you have to walk then as close to college as possible. If you have a car, I'd probably suggest as close to college as possible too! (Because of the serious traffic problems and lack of parking in college!)

Then again, I walk the 15-20 minutes to college and I have no complaints. (The weather has been on my side though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cheers for the replies, I have a car alright, I've been to Galway a few times but wouldnt be too familiar with the area surrounding college.

Private looks the way to go alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement