Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database of bad tenants?

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

About 6 months back, we had to move out of our rented house in Greystones due to a family emergency back in the UK - I had to leave as fast as I could, and ended up having to insist to the letting agents that they use my deposit to pay the last month's rent. I heard no more about it at the time, but I doubt they were too happy.

Now our business back in the UK is concluded, we want to move back out to Dublin, but, given the circumstances of our departure last time, I'm worried that we'll be on some kind of bad tenant database - I seem to recall reading something about this back when we signed our tenancy agreement.

So, does this actually exist? If so, is there any way to find out if we're on it? And, if we are, how do we go about getting taken off it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I doubt it would cause you too much trouble. Bit of a **** thing for you to do though. That said, I know the guy who runs the list. Send me €20 and a €50 deposit and I'll make sure you get taken off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

I know it was kinda a crappy thing to do, but at the time there really wasn't any other option - it was either pay that last month's rent, or actually have money to move me, my missus and our stuff back to the UK, even if it was only going to be temporary (my mother lives in London and has been extremely unwell). Hopefully the landlord wasn't out of pocket, since they kept the deposit, we ensured to leave the place in pristine condition, and I believe they found a new tenant pretty quickly. I do feel like a prize bastid, but it couldn't be helped. :(

Can you drop me a PM with the details of the list and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Teh Russ wrote: »
    So, does this actually exist? If so, is there any way to find out if we're on it? And, if we are, how do we go about getting taken off it?
    But wait if a database of bad tenants exists, shouldn't there be a database of bad landlords? But if someone was to set that up, someone might get sued for libel. So whats to stop a dip of a landlord entering someone onto a "bad" list for giggles? Why, nothing. But under EU data protection laws, all information stored about someone must be readily viewable by that person, so whats to stop bad landlords getting sued? And what happens in the case of a dispute, whose word do we take?

Ah I love this country. If a blacklist exists, it won't be around for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would be very skeptical of any such database existing. If it does exist, you have a right to see the information contained about you on it and to correct any errors. Do you not have a copy of the tenancy agreement that you signed?

I would imagine that the letting agent may have a note on your file as to their previous experiences with you, but they wouldn't be allowed to share this information with any other letting agents without your express permission.

They would also need to be very careful about what they say. Anything ambiguous or non-factual could land them in court with a big lawsuit.

So, I would very much doubt that any kind of country-wide database exists. As said, if one exists, it won't exist for very long as soon as someone finds out about it. In the event that you find yourself having accomodation refused, ask why.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I've never heard of anything like this and I'm a landlord as I'm sure is half the country. The only database that I know of is that run by the PRTB in which landlords are required to register the property and tenant details. They can be used to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants, but wouldn't be used to keep track of "bad tenants".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Other than the PRTB there is no such database. Unless you want to consider the Irish Credit Bureau or the likes, but thats unlikely to apply short of a judgement.

Where you may be in trouble is if your new landlord asks for references.
    FX Meister wrote: »
    I doubt it would cause you too much trouble. Bit of a **** thing for you to do though. That said, I know the guy who runs the list. Send me €20 and a €50 deposit and I'll make sure you get taken off the list.
    Behave. Asking people for money is not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Victor wrote: »

Where you may be in trouble is if your new landlord asks for references.Behave. Asking people for money is not funny.

I find it amusing. Surely he knows I'm joking, and if not I wouldn't take his money anyway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I have seen a blacklist kept in a particular letting agents but it was mainly for people who either wrecked places or scarpered owing a fair bit of rent. For the very serious ones (robbing the furniture, dealing drugs out of a place etc), names were circulated amongst other letting agents in the city.

For the circumstances you describe, you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Half the places rented are not even registered with the prtb..I wouldn't worry at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thybony

If you going to rent get 2 months deposit and state in your agreement failure to pay your out in two weeks , that it done every ones knows where they stand with a good rental agreement the flat or house is returned the same way you gave it read out every part of your agreement and ask do you under stand make them sing beside that part so every one is on the same page .and good luck because your going to need it if your going to rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

I was trying to get access to such a list but i dont think one exists.
    What does exist though are estate agents keeping their own lists of troublesome tenants. I know they do share this with each other. They just email the other agents and ask them have they had any dealings with a new potential tenant.

Eerily, I was talking to someone about this very subject on the golf course today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

thybony wrote: »
    If you going to rent get 2 months deposit and state in your agreement failure to pay your out in two weeks

pretty sure such a clause would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If you going to rent get 2 months deposit and state in your agreement failure to pay your out in two weeks , that it done every ones knows where they stand with a good rental agreement the flat or house is returned the same way you gave it read out every part of your agreement and ask do you under stand make them sing beside that part so every one is on the same page .and good luck because your going to need it if your going to rent
    Illegal clause and wouldn't hold in any claim with the PRTB for illegal eviction

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So would retaining peoples info under the data protection act

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Why are literacy skills for landlords invariably inversely proportional to their militancy towards tenants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

gaius c wrote: »
    Why are literacy skills for landlords invariably inversely proportional to their militancy towards tenants?

One of the reasons I like this forum is the grammar nazi police don't patrol. We all know we have valued posters here whose writing style wouldn't pass muster on other forums, but there is a tolerance. Probably because we save our pouncing for the bears/bulls.

Leave it out gaius.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hatchet jobs not welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

OP, maybe what you have heard of is the PRTB's page on published determination orders. This list names both Landlords and tenants though and the result of claims filed by either party. I haven't heard of any blacklist of bad tenants (nor one for bad landlords).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

One of the reasons I like this forum is the grammar nazi police don't patrol. We all know we have valued posters here whose writing style wouldn't pass muster on other forums, but there is a tolerance. Probably because we save our pouncing for the bears/bulls.

Leave it out gaius.

Not really on topic but it's the same over at irishlandlord.com and rather brilliantly parodied by Jimmy Connors.

Advertisement