Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC window problems

Options
  • 04-02-2008 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've double glazed PVC windows in my house. now several of them have problems closing properly, i.e. the left edge where the handle sits can be closed properly but the right hand side where the hinges are doesn't sit in properly. It's like the hinges, which are on the top and bottom of the windows have loosened over time. If I had hanldes on the right hand side also then I could pull them in properly, but as they are they doen't sit fluch and the gaps are very noticible with the fierce wind at the moment.

So anyway my question is if anyone knows any companies (that do West Dublin) that can adjust or fix the hinges to make the windows fit properly when they close.

I was thinking that I could fit alternatively addtional handles on the right sides that would both allow the windows to sit flush and also add some extra security. Howver I'm reluctant to attempt this on double glazed PVC windows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

We had the same problem a few years back and had to have the hinges replaced. They where exactly like your own, wouldn't close properly or sit right in the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you don't mind, can you tell me who did the replacements and how much did it cost?

I wish I could remember it was a few years back :o, ring around for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's my problem - I don't know who to get a quote from.....

Well try the golden pages or maybe there some local business directory for your area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I've often seen ads for this kinda service in the weekly freesheet newspapers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have had a similar problem in our house - five year old house. Found that the hinges are recessed in the pvc extrusion, so they can't be adjusted in and out, but if you can slightly open the screws holding the hinges in place, you can manipulate the window section to minimise the gap before tightening the screws in the new position. If necessary, a bit of self-adhesive foam on the inner edge can bridge the gap. Its made a significant difference to ours. (I also cleaned and lubed the slides to try and prevent the hinges from resuming their old positions). HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eire1977

Hi

I've double glazed PVC windows in my house. now several of them have problems closing properly, i.e. the left edge where the handle sits can be closed properly but the right hand side where the hinges are doesn't sit in properly. It's like the hinges, which are on the top and bottom of the windows have loosened over time. If I had hanldes on the right hand side also then I could pull them in properly, but as they are they doen't sit fluch and the gaps are very noticible with the fierce wind at the moment.

So anyway my question is if anyone knows any companies (that do West Dublin) that can adjust or fix the hinges to make the windows fit properly when they close.

I was thinking that I could fit alternatively addtional handles on the right sides that would both allow the windows to sit flush and also add some extra security. Howver I'm reluctant to attempt this on double glazed PVC windows.

Jimmy,
    Do you have any idea who supplied your windows? Maybe they should be the one to fix the problem....

Advertisement