Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

• 19-10-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭

judging from Delaney's squirming and ass-covering on the news last night, Staunton is now a "dead stan walking" and will probably be gone before the Wales match.

So, who will (or should) be next to put their backside to the bacon-slicer?

btw - I've stuck Sanchez in there because he did a brilliant job with Norn Iron and I think it could be a smart move by the FAI - he'd probably never be able to set foot in Belfast again though...
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

not sure on any of those choices. keane would be great imo , but he is only settling into the premiership and i feel he is where he wants to be. anyway he wont work under the current regime.

if we could get him think martin o'neill "could do a job for us". but likewise he has a great set up going on at villa.

to be honest, i dont know.....i really dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

From that list, Souness please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Out of that list I'd have to go for O' Leary or Souness. Souness is a dodgy one, probably divide opinion to no end, but I always liked the guy, I think he's a decent enough manager.

Aldridge? No thanks, the celebs can keep him.

I think Keane at this stage is a bit of a fantasy. He's not gonna walk out on Sunderland, the FAI wouldn't hire him, and he wouldn't work for them. Ditto on Sanchez - he left NI for Fulham, so he's not gonna leave there any time soon.

Mclaren? Ha, he might be available soon alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

We should ask Mick McCarthy back again just to give him the opportunity to go "Oh...oh, gosh...you know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to
    leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

loyatemu wrote: »
    So, who will (or should) be next

Two different questions!!

I voted Keane, but he won't be the next, bit of a dream really.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Keane had one good year at Sunderland when he spent quite a bit of money and now this year Sunderland are really struggling and will be one of the favs to get relegated?! No thank you (even if it could ever happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

David O'Leary, I would think is the most likely out of that bunch, but his record at Villa is worrying.
    Brian Kerr is not going to happens.
    John Aldridge, sure he has more experience than Stan, but hasn't exactly set the world alight in his managerial roles.
    Graham Souness won things as a manager in scotland and turkey, mind you those aren't the most competetive leagues in the world. Still would be funny to see a former Rangers player and manager in charge, the Celtic jersey wearing crowd would be thriller I'm sure.
    Lawrie Sanchez - not a chance. Would be good though.
    Roy Keane - not a chance. Still relatively unproven, but my gut feeling is he would do well.
    Steve McLaren - not a chance. I reckon he would be better than Stan, the england setup isn't kind to managers.

McClaren would be an excellent manager for us, but never going to happen, and i dont particularly like the bloke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

What about Houllier, Coppell, or Hodgson.

Houllier i wouldnt imagine would be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

can we have a new list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Pigman II wrote: »
    We should ask Mick McCarthy back again just to give him the opportunity to go "Oh...oh, gosh...you know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to
    "
    I would say that is even more true of Kerr - we never should have got rid of him.
    colster wrote: »
    What about Houllier, Coppell, or Hodgson.
    I'd love to see Coppell get it. He may well be available soon too.

Yea Coppell would be great too, but do people think he is going to get the bullet from Reading? i would have thought he was safe enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Coppell or Dowie, unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

feelings on Souness Eirebhoy? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I heard that Chris Hughton is on the bookies list. I reckon he could do a very good job as a coach again for Ireland but doubt he would get the position of manager. I'd like to see him back in the setup again though.

Problem is there isnt alot of good managers looking for a job at the moment. Best of them would be Paul Jewel but he wont be interested. Maybe we will get another world class manager so how about Terry Phelan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Nah, not Dowie, didn't he leave Palace for Charlton under derogatory circumstances?
    Thinking along the lines of Jewel/Coppell/Bruce, dunno about Souness, might be interesting tho' to see him at international level, at least he won't be able to make bad signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Paul Jewell please.

I reckon Bolton will make a move for him so we'd want to get a move on. Sure it's grand, the FAI are well on top of it I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think Steve Bruce could well look in pole position for the FAI board.
    I'm sure he wouldn't cost a lot, and the FAI would know that our legion of Premier League fans (esp Man Utd heads) would probably welcome Bruce on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'd be happy with Paul Jewell too.

How about Martin Jol? Could be available soon?

Or Pat Fenlon?!? Promote him from the U23's !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i reckon RTE should create a new program - you're a manager.

3 footballing icons* travel the coutry running auditions for the role of the next Ireland manager. People turn up at hotels around the coutry to impress the judges with their football knowledge, with people getting select for boot camp, where the field is narrowd down to 10. Then, have live televised shows every week where all the contestents compete and ar put to a phone vote.

the overall winner becomes the next ireland manager.

*Judges would be Delaney, Dunphy and Souness.

Ratings winner I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Tauren wrote: »

3 footballing icons* travel the coutry running auditions for the role of the next Ireland manager. People turn up at hotels around the coutry to impress the judges with their football knowledge, with people getting select for boot camp, where the field is narrowd down to 10. Then, have live televised shows every week where all the contestents compete and ar put to a phone vote.

Ratings winner I say!

i love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Brian Kerr ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can't edit the poll afaics.

Jewell looks like he's going to Bolton, O'Neill isn't likely to leave Villa unless he's offered the England job - thats why I left them off.

I don't see the point in appointing some 3rd rate English league manager like Bruce or Coppell when we have a 3rd rate Irish league manager available in O'Dreary. If we're going for a foreign manager we might as well try to get someone with international experience, or someone with a winning track record (albeit a long time ago in the case of Souness).

I voted for Sanchez, but I agree its very unlikely for a variety of reasons. Whats Capello up to since he left madrid? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Phillippe Troussier FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

it should be Stephen Kenny, it will be Steve Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I reckon O'Leary is pretty likely.

And I actually don't think he would be too bad. He did quite well with Leeds. And Villa finished 6th in his first season in charge. That's kinda what we need for an international team: someone who can come in and make an immediate short term impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I think Steve Bruce could well look in pole position for the FAI board.

I was bad enough just having to look at his pug-face when he was a player but then he had to compound things by becoming a manager giving rise to frequent occasions of him actually talking on tv.

If that wasn't bad enough now just he's gone for wearing widecollared shirts open nearly halfway down his chest making him look like either a drunkard at a wedding reception or some sort of 70's throwback.

Whats next Brucy, a medallion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I was bad enough just having to look at his pug-face when he was a player but then he had to compound things by becoming a manager giving rise to frequent occasions of him actually talking on tv.

If that wasn't bad enough now just he's gone for wearing widecollared shirts open nearly halfway down his chest making him look like either a drunkard at a wedding reception or some sort of 70's throwback.

Whats next Brucy, a medallion?

Better than the boring, droney-arsed gaffer we have now!!!!
    Look, nevermind that sh!te what they wear, what they sound like etc....all we ask for is a manager that has actual managerial experience and is respected in the football world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Tauren wrote: »

Ratings winner I say!

Ha ha Brilliant

you should pitch that to the FAI and RTE straightaway

What odds would you get on Stan getting back in on the sympathy vote :D
    Either him or Brendan Kilkenny cos you know he'll be first in line at the auditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

martin Jol anyone?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Let's go for Glenn Hoddle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

it should be Stephen Kenny
    Not yet.

Give him time, do some work in Scotland, then maybe move elsewhere, then make him Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Liam Brady anyone (talks a good game, prove it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'd be happy with O Leary, Bruce or Jewell..

lets be honest, all of them have experience, so that immediately makes them better than our current manager :D

O Leary had leeds/villa playing decent football, Bruce can add that steel and team spirit, and turn the new landsdowne into a fortress, Jewell is probably the best of the bunch but doubt we'd be able to get him.

We basically need someone hot headed who'll do things their way and that the players will fear. Kerr or Staunton couldn't do that and that's the reason they've both been sacked.

In fairness to McCarthy, he had the balls to send keane home but that was a stupid, unforgiveable decision which backfired big time. But that's the sort of style we need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Liam Brady anyone (talks a good game, prove it)

Brady was manager of Celtic before.

He didn't prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Phillippe Troussier FTW!

pfft, fabio cappello ftw imho tbh ;)
    smemon wrote: »
    ...that's the reason they've both been sacked.

dont start getting peoples hopes up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Read this: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1019/stauntons.html

Thing is Delaney is still going to be in charge....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

No way would I want Paul Jewell. He got out of wigan when his decent reputation was still intact. If they got relegated he'd disappear again for years. May aswell forget about 2010 aswell if someone like him was appointed. He had one good season in the premiership, got relegated with Bradford and nearly got relegated again with Wigan (and Wigan had a bit of money).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Houllier i wouldnt imagine would be interested.

Thank god.At least he wouldnt be able to sign Baros though.

Haveing Houllier would mean years of Ireland snatching defeats from the jaws of victory.

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

djpbarry wrote: »
    I would say that is even more true of Kerr - we never should have got rid of him.

Yes we should. See my description of Houllier.
    he 's also worse at using subs than Eddie O'Sullivan. At least O'Sullivan knows he hasnt a clue what to do so abstains from using them.

Souness FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Phillippe Troussier FTW!

Afraid not.
    He is living out in the Middle-East, has converted to Islam and calls himself Omar these days...I'm not joking by the way.

Nobody on the list does it for me...not even Keano(he's not ready yet). Mainly because I believe we can get a top notch coach - the finished article.
    I wanted Roy Hodgson before Staunton got the job and I still want him now. He is a truly outstanding coach. At international level he is currently managing Finland who are punching above their weight. Also worked wonders with Switzerland. His club career is not to be sniffed at either. I would put him in the top tier of international managers with the likes of Lippi, Beenhakker and Hiddink. Those 3 names are almost universally agreed would not take the job but I am positive Hodgson would.
    If we get another 2nd rate guy after Staunton and Hodgson is not approached then that would be criminal in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

screw it, just splash the cash and get in Mourinho or Hiddink or someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

"

best post in thread! ripping off the simpsons is guaranteed funny! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The only runners at the moment look like being DOL, Bruce and Souness but it's the FAI lads!!! I look forward to Kevin Kilbane being revealed as Ireland's next Player Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Nunu wrote: »
    Afraid not.
    He is living out in the Middle-East, has converted to Islam and calls himself Omar these days...I'm not joking by the way.

Nobody on the list does it for me...not even Keano(he's not ready yet). Mainly because I believe we can get a top notch coach - the finished article.
    I wanted Roy Hodgson before Staunton got the job and I still want him now. He is a truly outstanding coach. At international level he is currently managing Finland who are punching above their weight. Also worked wonders with Switzerland. His club career is not to be sniffed at either. I would put him in the top tier of international managers with the likes of Lippi, Beenhakker and Hiddink. Those 3 names are almost universally agreed would not take the job but I am positive Hodgson would.
    If we get another 2nd rate guy after Staunton and Hodgson is not approached then that would be criminal in my opinion.
    Agree with more or less everything you say here.

But if you mentioned the name Hodgson to the Goon Squad in Merrion Square - do you think they'd know who you are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Afraid not.

NICE POST 100% Agreement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I don't think anyone on that list is suitable to be honest... What we need is one of the international 'mercenary' managers who has international experience, e.g. Guus Hiddink, Phil Scolari, Phillipe Troussier etc.. Guys that have managed 2 or 3 international sides and know how it works... I'm not saying that we should get one of these guys in particular, but they are the caliber of manager that we need.

After Euro 2008 there will be a lot of movement as there usually is after tournaments. I reckon we should wait until then... Might not give us time to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers, but we could get a better manager out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Afraid not.

Troussier and his wife Dominique converted to Islam on March 17, 2006 in the Moroccan capital Rabat where they live.

He has taken the name Omar and his wife is no longer Dominique but Amina, they have adopted two local girls Selma and Mariam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Troussier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id really like Paul Jewell, always had a soft spot for him. Seems like he's learned a lot over the past few years as well.

Another few names to throw into the hat;

Steve Cotterill, Joe Kinnear, Dave Jones, Tony Mowbray (very unlikely though, seems happy at West Brom).

Id be happy enough with Souness as well, at least he's a strong character to not be an FAI yes man, and could do good work getting the setup right. Also, he probably wouldnt be with the players long enough to start fights.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement