Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Souness is now odds-on favourite for the Wigan job, 4/6 with the bookies.

It's just as well the FAI aren't handling the new appointment directly, Delaney would probably be on the phone to Chris Hutchings right now. Or to me maybe. I'd be cheap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Poll reset and chris hutchings added (out of badness).

Would be best if people didn't vote again (after all the point is to see who the forum picks, so if you go cheating, you're just lying to everyone) but I can't stop that.

sorry for the delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Chris is dying to get back into the game so its only fair he be considered :D

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhojmhausn/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Kenny Dalglish?He hasn't been up to much in the last few years.Always good at bringing success.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish?He hasn't been up to much in the last few years.Always good at bringing success.

Like the success he brought to Newcastle?

In fairness to him though, Newcsatle is a uniquely impossible job so maybe it's an unfair example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/7082416.stm
    Jewell is 'open to Wigan offer'

Former boss Paul Jewell says he would consider a return to Wigan but insists he has not been asked.

Jewell, who remains good friends with Latics chairman Dave Whelan, has been heavily linked with the job since Chris Hutchings was sacked on Monday.

He told Metro newspaper: "I'm surprised to learn I have been offered my old job back. I've had no contact with Wigan.

"But after six months away I am ready and willing to return to work. I will consider any offers that come my way."

Jewell resigned as Wigan boss in May - less than 24 hours after saving the Premier League club from relegation on the final day of the season.

He claimed he was absolutely drained and needed a break from football.

The 43-year-old joined had been in charge of Wigan for six years and in that time guided the club to the League One title in 2002-03, and in 2004-05 they finished runners-up to Sunderland in the Championship to reach the top flight for the first time in their history.

Wigan surprised many by finishing 10th in their first Premiership season - and they also reached the Carling Cup final.

Jewell admitted at the time of his resignation that it was extremely difficult to walk away from Wigan and it now seems he might be putting himself back in the frame.

He revealed: "I needed a break as the job consumes you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"I firmly believe I will return to football refreshed and a better manager.

"Talk of me returning to Wigan is a little awkward because me and Chris Hutchings are really good friends.

"I am doubly disappointed it has not worked out for him because of our relationship and the fact I recommended him for the job.

"I haven't spoken to him yet, as want to let things die down a bit before I call him.

"In the meantime I'm going to continue enjoying playing golf until I get a better offer."

Jewell has also been linked with the jobs at Leicester City and, before Gary Megson was appointed, at Bolton Wanderers.

Other names being touted as candidates for the Wigan job are Graeme Souness, Peter Reid, Joe Royle, Alex McLeish and Swansea City's Spanish manager Roberto Martinez.

But Wigan caretaker-manager Frank Barlow has ruled himself out of the running to take the job on a permanent basis.

So looks like Jewell may be ready to pick up where he left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

i voted for other because i would love to see paul jewell get the job!! he done a fantastic job at wigan and would be the perfect man for the irish.... otherwise i would give it to liam brady!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Sky sports reporting Gerard Houllier is top of the list now :eek: that wouldnt be too shabby at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aiden McGeady...."The next Zidane".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Houllier would be excellent to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tauren wrote: »
    Aiden McGeady...."The next Zidane".

surely that would be stephen ireland? mcgeady would be the next pires or some other french winger!

maybe we might find some french with irish grannies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A chap on foot.ie who seems a decent guy and wouldn't make stuff up says he heard that Houllier has been approached and he's interested. The odds at the time (a couple of hours ago) on Betfair were 7.80 (just under 8/1). atm he's under 2/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eirebhoy wrote: »
    A chap on foot.ie who seems a decent guy and wouldn't make stuff up says he heard that Houllier has been approached and he's interested. The odds at the time (a couple of hours ago) on Betfair were 7.80 (just under 8/1). atm he's under 2/1.

Sky touched on that on the post-match analysis of tonight's games as well.

Houllier says he is not going to be new Ireland manager on Canal+

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Houllier says he is not going to be new Ireland manager on Canal+
    Are you in France? How did the question come about? Was it a straight no? Was he expecting the question? So many questions. :D

• Advertisement

from what Keyes said on sky sports; Houllier interviewed Fergie after the United game and Fergie asked him whether he would take the Ireland job and he said 'no'. that was the gist of it i think.

Alex Ferguson? I didn't think he read the papers/had any interest in our national team. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Alex Ferguson? I didn't think he read the papers/had any interest in our national team. :)

Maybe he's on the panel to find the new manager?:)

Or he could be trying to sus out his competition for the job.:D

yeh i dunno, but it's on foot.ie too. maybe i just picked up on the fergie thing wrong but it defo was canal+ and he did say no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Its probably bollix but heard today that Souness has been offered the job and theres possibly going to be a press conference on Weds :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sizzler wrote: »
    Its probably bollix but heard today that Souness has been offered the job and theres possibly going to be a press conference on Weds :eek:

Ye, you'd have to take that with a bag of salt(never mind a pinch!).
    Unless an outstanding candidate, and Souness ain't it, suddenly declares he wants it we won't have a new manager for a few weeks yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nunu wrote: »
    Unless an outstanding candidate, and Souness ain't it, suddenly declares he wants it we won't have a new manager for a few weeks yet.
    Why? It's the FAI after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i cant see a manager in place for a month or so anyway. they will take their time with this.

yesterdays rags had houllier and venables as the 2 favourites.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paul Jewell rules out return to Wigan Athletic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/7092295.stm

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Paul Jewell rules out return to Wigan Athletic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/7092295.stm

Mike.
    One of the commentators on Today FM on Saturday who happens to be a friend of Jewells said that he spoke to him on the phone and asked him about the Irish job. He said that he was truly flattered that his name has been mentioned but he feels that he is not ready to tackle international management just yet.

Back page of tomorrows Mirror (I think) saying Jewell is going to be interviewed for the Ireland job. According to a guy on a Celtic forum who works for them it was originally a story about Houllier for Ireland but changed at the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone just catch John Giles on Off The Ball? Stand-by for some news tomorrow by the sound of it.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anyone just catch John Giles on Off The Ball? Stand-by for some news tomorrow by the sound of it.

Yes just had it on,sounds like Paul Jewell is the man from what I am hearing.He is still 4/1 on Paddy Power.

Mike.
    If the FAI announce a new manager the day before an International they are even more retarded than I thought they were.

Dub13 wrote: »
    He is still 4/1 on Paddy Power.
    6/4 now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

6/4 now.

I got Jewell at 4/1 on Paddy Power just after that post....:)

I hate the manager market,every time a job comes up I keep saying don't bet its a mugs game.But I am a mug for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dub13 wrote: »
    I got Jewell at 4/1 on Paddy Power just after that post....:)

I hate the manager market,every time a job comes up I keep saying don't bet its a mugs game.But I am a mug for it.

yes you are, givens will possibly win on sat and get the job full time.

maxi be out of prison then we just send him into the fai with high explosives this time.

kdjac

The FAI have denied any approach to Jewell, and the man himself has been negative anytime it's been mentioned. If Giles is part of the selection committee that would make Jewell a contender though, Giles and Dunphy both said on TV that Jewell would be their choice from what appears to be available (which unfortunately isn't a whole lot by the look of things).

Mourinho is out of work but we couldn't afford him, and if and when he comes back into football it will almost certainly be with a top club like Real or Bayern or someone of that stature.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The FAI have denied any approach to Jewell, and the man himself has been negative anytime it's been mentioned. If Giles is part of the selection committee that would make Jewell a contender though, Giles and Dunphy both said on TV that Jewell would be their choice from what appears to be available (which unfortunately isn't a whole lot by the look of things).

Mourinho is out of work but we couldn't afford him, and if and when he comes back into football it will almost certainly be with a top club like Real or Bayern or someone of that stature.

Plus, he has always said he would never manage any country other than Portugal... and wouldn't even consider that for a few more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This should make some people happy
    Roy Hodgson, the Finland and former Blackburn manager, has been linked with the Republic of Ireland managerial post. (Daily Telegraph)

The FAI have simply got to try get this man. He is the outstanding viable candidate.
    I am convinced he would opt to coach us instead of renewing his Finland contract.

The Finnish Football Association are determined to stop Republic of Ireland making a move for Roy Hodgson.

The Football Association of Ireland are believed to be weighing up a move for Hodgson as they seek a replacement for Steve Staunton.

Hodgson along with the likes of Terry Venables, Gerard Houllier and Paul Jewell has been linked with the vacant manager's job with Ireland.

The former Blackburn boss has done a tremendous job with Finland and they have enjoyed a superb Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

Finland are still in with a slim chance of reaching next summer's finals, but they need results to go their way.

However, Hodgson's contract expires at the end of this current campaign and this has alerted the Irish to his possible availability.

Finnish FA official Timo Walden is not surprised Hodgson has been linked with the Ireland job, but insists they want to keep the experienced tactician with Finland.

"It's natural that Roy has been talked about for the Ireland job because he is a top coach," Walden told The Guardian.

"We are extremely happy and satisfied with his work and we will work as hard as possible to keep him."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11966_2892606,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Martin O' Neill would be great but I know its not going to happen. Pity Laurie Sanchez already took the Fulham job too, he would be good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Houllier would be a good manager, I can't believe Roy Curtis of the Sunday World can get away with writing such insulting words about him and also write a load of crap.

Troussier would be good, Hiddink would be good.

Jewell would be a complete gamble again, and Venables would be terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Houllier would be a good manager, I can't believe Roy Curtis of the Sunday World can get away with writing such insulting words about him and also write a load of crap.

I can't believe Curtis gets away with calling himself a journalist full stop.

Not sure about Jewell to be honest. Yes, has proven himself to be a decent manager with PL struggler's, but is he the man to inspire our international team? My hunch is that he's not experienced enough yet for this challenge, and it might prove to be an expensive mistake.

I'm not sure if these guys have rules themselves out completely yet, but the Jol/Hughton combo was the one which caught my eye a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB wrote: »
    This should make some people happy.......

tbh by now everyone has been linked. Im surprised there hasnt been rumours that they are asking Stan back as assistant by now.

I dont really want Jol, he was happy for years for a place anywhere in the top 10, which really isnt the attitude we need.

Anyone reckon Hiddink will be sacked from the Russia job come tomorrow? Its not as if the FAI dont have the funds. Why exactly are they sitting on a big heap of money which, Id assume given the role a FA has, is meant to be spent out as much as possible once the wages have been paid.

"Throughout his entire managerial career, he is best recognised for winning the treble with PSV Eindhoven, leading South Korea to a 4th place finish in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, managing the Netherlands into the same position in the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France, leading Australia to the second round of the 2006 FIFA World Cup—their first appearance in the tournament for 32 years—and some impressive displays with PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA Champions League and Eredivisie"

Treble with a club (fair enough, you can buy talent of course) and even Stan would have trouble ****ing up the Dutch national squad, though they had an iffy game or two in these qualifiers. But Australia and South Korea were on our level, if not below it (although they would have had easier qualifying groups). He would be my no.1 but again, would Russia sack him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hiddink, ha. Jesus christ people are living in a delusional world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

He managed Australia and South Korea didnt he, no chance of him coming but managing a country that isnt a top top team is hardly the gonna be the most stressful job in the world. They have the money, there's gonna be lots of managers with loads of experience who might take the job if there asked. I know he done nothing for them, but Scotland got Berti Vogts and they were hardly a super power. Poland have Leo Beenhakker who managed Ajax, Holland and Real Madrid in his time. Finland have Roy Hodgson who managed Inter Milan and Switzerland. Ireland arent San Marino, if they settle for nobodies then there never gonna get anywhere.

Christoph Daum - managing in the german second division
    Jupp Heynckes - managing Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Vicente del Bosque - sitting on his arse

These guys are hardly lighting the world on fire atm, and managing a decent international side is hardly gonna be a lot worse than what there doing at the moment.

Theres lots of managers like these managing crap teams who i doubt would say no to managing a decent international side for a possible 2 years for good money. But instead were being linked with Paul Jewell ??? I want to be excited by a new manager and im sure the players will to, but Paul Jewell? I dont think so. He's being linked with the Birmingham job and we have some ppl here saying he's a future Liverpool and England manager? I think you should wait 10yrs before saying something like that.

I'd at least like to see them trying to talk to managers who'd make you think "jesus the FAI are actually trying"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Benhakker has just got Poland to their 1st Euro C`Ship (surprisingly, given their sides in the 70s and 80s), hes going nowhere.

If they threw enough money at Hiddink im sure he would take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hiddink would be amazing, but perhaps he fancies a return to club management?

He'd be the outstanding candidate, but I'm not sure he'd take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I demand the person who voted Chris Hutchings to be named and shamed and banned and hung for crimes against humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

rumour has it chris hutchings has just set up an a/c so as to vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I voted Liam Brady as a joke, then I saw he was joint-leader :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd imagine Hodgson might get approached by the English FA or will hold out if he can get approached.
    I wonder if El Tel will get booted today too.
    Just checked and he has.. the FAI will love that so!
    I think our man is ready so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

now with venebales sacked what would peoples view on him be?
    i personally think he'd be good.he's got international experience he gets on well with his players and id say he'd take the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well, whoever we want, will probably go to england, and we'll be left to choose from the leftovers!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement