Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ziggy wrote: »

Exactly. And Sven Goran Eriksson was forced to do that too. They need someone who knows nothing about any of the players, and shows no favouritism(sp?) whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,090 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Exactly. And Sven Goran Eriksson was forced to do that too. They need someone who knows nothing about any of the players, and shows no favouritism(sp?) whatsoever.

...if such a person exists and is in a football job somewhere, they shouldn't be. The exposure of these players is worldwide, there's no such thing as a manager who will go in without any preconceptions about them from what they've already seen in the media and on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Here what about Quique Sanchez Flores?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ziggy wrote: »

So if you stick with the same method that failed the last time what do you expect to happen.

I think getting johnny giles on board and consulting with the senior players over the type of manager they want or what they would like the next manager to possess that the previous one hadn't is a very sensible thing do to.

I'm sure the FAI will have read that paper and moved jewell up the list, after it. This is sarcasm.

To say that the players that will be representing the country should not have any say is a little naieve. How are people not involved with actually playing football to have a clue about who to choose??? Wikipedia? Championship manager???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

They need someone who knows nothing about any of the players

Cmon now, did you really think this 1 through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

lordgoat wrote: »
    How are people not involved with actually playing football to have a clue about who to choose??? Wikipedia? Championship manager???

Don't be silly

Football Manager > Championship Manager

I think my dad should be manager....I'm serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think my dad should be manager....I'm serious.

Is your dad roy hodgson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Advertisement

current players should absolutely definately be brought in on this decision. Not on actually naming a manager, but saying what traits they found, from their experiences at international and club level could be looked for, what in particular was bad about Stan, what was good, what would they have felt would have been more beneficial to the team etc.

They're the ones who will be working with this new person so they're opinions on what should be required in that person are important.

I would again stress that they shouldn't be given a list of names and told pick their favoutite, but just talked to about traits, approaches to football, mentalities, suggestions etc.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Is your dad roy hodgson?

*Trying to think of something funny*

DAMN!!!

*CLAPS*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    current players should absolutely definately be brought in on this decision. Not on actually naming a manager, but saying what traits they found, from their experiences at international and club level could be looked for, what in particular was bad about Stan, what was good, what would they have felt would have been more beneficial to the team etc.

They're the ones who will be working with this new person so they're opinions on what should be required in that person are important.

I would again stress that they shouldn't be given a list of names and told pick their favoutite, but just talked to about traits, approaches to football, mentalities, suggestions etc.

Agreed, I think this happened already when Delaney met the players. It gives Delaney a good idea of what is required and no bias since names wouldn't be allowed to be mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mike65 wrote: »
    He's 8-11 with the bookies. I'm be disappointed but not surprised if he got the job. And it'll be either Townsend or Houghton as his number 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Townsend and Venables.

It'll be like watching a RTE/ITV merger come matchdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"For me, he could do the kind of job that Jack Charlton did with the Republic.
    Oh happy days.

Long ball here we come.

Yipee-do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

mike65 wrote: »
    GREAT! :rolleyes: sure why not chuck in Robbie Earle and Gabby Logan too while we're at it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7112789.stm
    Venables 'fancies' Republic job

Terry Venables lost his England assistant role last week
    Ex-England boss Terry Venables is interested in becoming the new Republic of Ireland manager, says close friend Ted Buxton.
    Buxton, who worked alongside Venables at Spurs, Crystal Palace and England, believes the former Barcelona manager "fancies" the Republic job.

And Buxton added that Venables sought his opinion on Irish players when they met socially last Friday.

"I would feel he would do a good job for the Republic," Buxton told the BBC.

"For me, he could do the kind of job that Jack Charlton did with the Republic.

"At that stage (on Friday), he hadn't been contacted by anybody about the Republic job although Terry does keep his cards quite close to his chest.

"But we had a few discussions recently about Irish players and in particular he asked me about the Reading boys (Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt and Shane Long).

"I see a lot of games so he would get my opinion on players."

Buxton is highly respected in the football world and also worked as part of Sven-Goran Eriksson's England set-up as a scout.

Weekend reports claimed that Venables had emerged as the main candidate to succeed Steve Staunton.

However, Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney refused to comment on the issue after Sunday's World Cup draw in South Africa.

Venables lost his job as England assistant last week following Steve McLaren's sacking.

Gerard Houllier and David O'Leary have also been linked with the Republic job while Graeme Souness and Philippe Troussier have publicly expressed interest in the role.

Ive a bad feeling about this:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

whats to be concerned about?

tics all the boxes stan didnt apart from being irish. always liked him as a manager and how he carries himself, we could do alot worse imo. perfect for the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

there's already a massive thread about the next ireland manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

el rabitos wrote: »

tics all the boxes stan didnt apart from being irish. always liked him as a manager and how he carries himself, we could do alot worse imo. perfect for the job

1: He has just been sacked for his involvement in the Engerland fiasco

2: His off the field reputation

3: When was he last deemed a success?

Can we have more ambition than some Brit who happens to be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Who do you propose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Would it not be fair to say that since managing Australia until 1998 he has done nothing of note with either Palace, Middlesborough, Leeds or England, as assistant.

What boxes exactly are "ticked?"

Pighead wrote: »
    Who do you propose?

Troussier.

Available, interested, has club experience at the top and has managed mediocre international sides to world cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Well said!

We should be scouring the continent as part of our search.
    Venables is a has-been. Lets remember hes 65 in January. Don't trust the shifty git as far as I'd throw him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

won La Liga with Barca in 1986
    FA Cup with Spurs in 91

took England to semis of Euro96, but they were playing at home and didn't have to qualify

since then he has done nothing of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

God no. Not El Tel please.

Why did the talk about Troussier go away? He declared his interest pretty much straight away, but nothing has been said since.

I voted for Hodgson in the other thread - wasn't his contract ending at the end of the Euro qualifying campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i think el tel would be a very good choice considering the options we have available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

For me:
    Venables - No.
    Hodgson - No.
    Trouissier - Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well at least vennables has a CV :rolleyes:

that's an improvement for the FAI.

he wasnt manager of england, judge mcclaren, it was his set up, his team, his responsability primarily.

his off the field reputation? i've always felt he has a reputation of being a very competant manager noted for getting the best out of players and a guy who is well respected and liked by the players he's coached. maybe i'm wrong

more ambition? ffs

who do u think we are exactly? its international football, and worse than that, its not the most attractive job in international football, its a good job as is the english one, but international management is not as attractive as it once was.

alot of managers these days prefer to be involved in day to day management, and the place to be is the premiership and the other top leagues and the champions league. thats where all the top managers want to be.

now if you can suggest a manager over tha age of 40 and under the age of 60 that would...

(a) want the job

and

(b) be good at it

then i'm all ears, but its not an easy find.

people moaned that stan was.....(long list here)

inexperianced,
    didnt know how to get the most out of players with limited quality,
    didnt have the players respect,
    didnt have the publics respect,
    was tactically inept
    looked like fr. dougal
    talked like fr.dougal
    was out of his dept,
    wasnt good with the media,
    was too young

imo venables has all those qualities and we'd do well to get him given the current state of international football and the other vacancy that needs to be filled across the pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

there's already a massive thread about the next ireland manager.

exactly.

the list as far as i can tell right now is;

Venebles
    Hodgson
    Souness
    Houllier
    Troussier.

Any of the above would be massive improvements on what we've had in the past term, but personally i'd have venebles behind hodgson troussier and souness I think. Would be a close call with Souness, but I dislike Venebles more as a person.

Having said that, God (fowler) in his book has nothing but admiration for El Tel and says the rest of the england team were the same and when they were asked about who they thought should get the england job, the time Sven got it, nearly everyone put Venebles as their first choice.

<edit> Should we be looking at Billy Davies as well now actually. No international experience but a very good manager none the less. Nobody could have done more with Derby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

his off the field reputation? i've always felt he has a reputation of being a very competant manager noted for getting the best out of players and a guy who is well respected and liked by the players he's coached. maybe i'm wrong

I think it was a referance to his reputation as a someone with sticky fingers.

I think it was a referance to his reputation as a someone with sticky fingers.

what are we english now? we care that much about who our manager pokes?

thats what stans problem was, he wasnt ****ing enough women

I always took sticky fingers to mean "has a tendency to steal"...i dont know of any accusations of him stealing, but this is what i would take that phrase to mean.

someone has seriously missed the point

he is like Harry Redknapp, there is a whiff about him but no-one has ever made anything stick

He'll forever be looked at as a great manager because of the misconception he was excellent for England and many people see him as a likeable character.

We'll find out he isn't in the next 2 years. Happy days

• Advertisement

Rally this Friday outside FAI HQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Terry Venables owned Pompey for a while, buying the club for £1 and selling it for £500k. While he was the owner, they sold Lee Bradbury to Man City for £3.5m. the company that managed this transfer was TV promotions and they took a 10% cut of the transfer fee. No prozes for guessing what the TV in TV promotions stands for.

One good thing he did for us was rebuild the Fratton End, unfortunately when Milan Mandaric bought the club, he discoveed that El Tel had inadvertantly forgotten to actually pay for it so Milan ended up picking up the tab. There was also a whole host of Aussie players who came and played for us, most of whom didn;t play more than one or two games and ended up having their contracts paid up. I don;t know who the agent was who managed the deal, but I can hazard a guess.

Terry gets a mention in this article as well written by Simon Jordon and talking about the previous owner of Crystal Palace

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1692117,00.html
    In 12 months, Goldberg lost £1m on agent fees. He paid Boca Juniors £187,000 for defender Walter del Rio, plus fees to multiple agents totalling £450,000. It then emerged that the player had been available on a free, and that documents showing his registration with Boca had been forged by a third party in Argentina. The money was never traced, and the player moved on after one league start.
    He paid Israeli club Maccabi Nevealon £800,000 for unknown defender David Amsalem, via a third party. Only £11,600 ever arrived at Maccabi Nevealon, and the player was released after six starts. He signed Chinese players Fan Zhiyi and Sun Jihai - now at Manchester City - for £1m, and only £600,000 arrived in China. He signed two bewildered wonderkids at the same time as Del Rio - Pablo Rodrigues and Cristian Ledesma from Argentinos Juniors - who went home before kicking a ball. The money paid for them wasn't traced.
    The High Court ruled that all those deals were a result of corrupt agents and, to paraphrase a bit, a stunningly naive owner. But the manager at the time - the man who recommended all 13 incoming transfers to Goldberg - was absolved. As the report put it: 'The High Court ruled that Terry Venables was entirely innocent of any wrong-doing.'

Maybe Terry Venables would be better suited for a seat in the Dail rather than Ireland Manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

loyatemu wrote: »
    won La Liga with Barca in 1986
    FA Cup with Spurs in 91

took England to semis of Euro96, but they were playing at home and didn't have to qualify

since then he has done nothing of note.

So he's pretty much passed it in other words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ATM it seems to me more then likely Venables will be the next manager. Therefore it is important we know his credentials. TBH he has never had to qualify a team for a major championship before. Also anyone who saw his demeanor on the sideline for England v Croatia would seriously think the guy just is not interested anymore. Is there not the risk he sees this as a retirement home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Well thats not what i meant. He has sticky fingers in the sense that he has been caught on more than one occasion with his hand in the honey jar in some of the companies he's been involved with.
    Not erm..sticky....for other reasons Ahem.

He was offered the wales job after declaring himself extremely interested in gettin it, but demanded twice the money offered. He seems to have a reputation of wanting to rip people off, but i doubt we could offer him enough to give him a chance to do it to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Looking at the group we drew yesterday and some of the far way countries we have to travel to, lesser countries which historically have given us trouble in the past, Hodgson is the one name that keeps coming to mind as being someone who can motivate/organise us to get results in these away games. He's done it on the continent with countries who supposedly have smaller playing resources than the Republic.

If El Tel is given the job, for some reason I can just see the little cockney rolling out the usual barrel full of excuses in 12 months time as to why we came out the wrong side of a 2-0 loss away to Montenegro or Bulgaria.

Hodgson has that unknown quantity about him which I think the players & supporters will respond to. 3 weeks ago I gave my vote to a Jol/Hughton combination, but Hodgson has my vote now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

madds wrote: »
    Hodgson has that unknown quantity about him which I think the players & supporters will respond to. 3 weeks ago I gave my vote to a Jol/Hughton combination, but Hodgson has my vote now.

Totally agree with you. Hodgson ticks all the boxes the way I see it. Venables hasn't done anything of note in years and if the Irish Examiner report posted earlier is true, I can see this campaign being an utter shambles.

To me, Venables and Townsend is simply Staunton and Robson but with better excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why would the FAI choose Venables over Hodgson? He brought Finland back to respectability and we need something similar.

Vegetables - as someone on here accurately described him - will be a joke of a manager. We might as well bring in Ian Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

darkman2 wrote: »
    ATM it seems to me more then likely Venables will be the next manager. Therefore it is important we know his credentials. TBH he has never had to qualify a team for a major championship before. Also anyone who saw his demeanor on the sideline for England v Croatia would seriously think the guy just is not interested anymore. Is there not the risk he sees this as a retirement home?

He has and he failed. Australia for World Cup 1998. They threw away a 2 goal lead at home to Iran in the 2nd leg of their play-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Some bookies have stopped taking bets on Venables :eek::(

Surely this appointment is a bit rushed if it is imminent? Id far prefer Troussier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement