Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

This guy has an interesting take on the next Ireland manager : http://www.rant.ie/
    Mini-biography: Cockney geezer Terry Venables was born and reared in the exact flat Only Fools and Horses was filmed in, and served as 'Cultural Advisor' to covert toff David Jason. Much of the rhyming slang heard in the programme originated in Terry's cavernous jowls e.g. Del Boy's infamous line in season 3, which garnered the BBC a record number of complaints: "oooh Rodders, you can be a right floozy's front sometimes, I tell ya". But Terry was far from a one trick pony. His flirtations with professional singing, and passionate love of white collar gangsterism are the stuff of legend. Occasionally, when not singing, acting, defrauding or avoisioning, Terry dabbled in football, with ever-decreasing success.

Pros: Aprés Match do a cracking impression that we can all enjoy as our seeding plummets

Cons: Will embezzle the living **** out of the FAI if made privy to the combination of the safe ensconced behind the painting of John Giles (dressed as a semi-naked Spartan) adorning John Delaney's wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I actually don't think El Tel would be a bad manager for Ireland. He's won trophies with Spurs and Barca, did well with England at Euro 96 (remember the decimation of Holland?), plays good football, helped put Australia on the footballing map...might be the best we can hope for tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lads, maybe the reason we are getting Venables over Hodgson, is because Hodgson is getting offers apparently from a host of coutries, not least England, but also premiership clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Its Vegetables. Trust me, done deal. :eek:

PM for more details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Oh dear!

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

4/6 still on paddy powers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd like Hose to get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

semibluff wrote: »
    4/6 still on paddy powers

Could have sworn the news last ngiht said Paddys were taking no more bets (mentioned Paddys by name and all). Maybe they are back on temporarily, could be a sly one by PP. Suppose PP knows Tel wont get the job. Calls off bets so everyone thinks he is coming. Puts the bets back on so some of those people feel its still worth a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

What's the story with odds with Paddypower offering 33/1 on Mick McCarthy for the job. I mean those odds sounds like he's got an outside chance of it, that for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dunphy is after giving venables some abuse there on rte.....giles is defending him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dunphy is after giving venables some abuse there on rte.....giles is defending him now.
    Big time.

And he's right.

Dunphy talked about the press being 'used' and kites being flown. very important ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dunphy is winning this argument hands down......wonder if delaney is tuned in?

Dunphy keeps telling Giles he won't shout him down. Then shouts him down.

TV Gold tbh.

• Advertisement

Dunphy wields no power with the FAI. They hate the guy.

I think they'd appoint him to spite Dunphy actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i'd nearly hope el tel gets the job just to piss dunphy off. i really really hate that man.

Souness > El Tel imo.

DesF wrote: »
    Dunphy wields no power with the FAI. They hate the guy.

I think they'd appoint him to spite Dunphy actually.

He is friends with John Delaney.

Dunphy knows El Tel is in and is trying to sabotage it, so fair play.

Rovers fan sticks up for Dunphy shocker :eek:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The stuff with Dunphy was brilliant. God I love RTE's coverage!

Agree with Dunphy 100%. Vegetables is a con man and if he gets in he will be detrimental to Irish soccer. We need someone like Hodgson or Houllier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hope souness doesnt get the ireland job as he is the only one who actually talks football on rte.

if i want politics ill watch the news
    if i want drama ill watch neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Houllier, Hodgson, Graham, Sousness, Brady, Troussier, O' Leary > Venables.

Venables is a joke, I missed Dunphys rant, wish I saw it, what points did he make and what were Giles and Sousness saying.
    Who did Dunphy want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Damn, wasn't watching RTE, wish I'd seen the Venables rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

ziggy wrote: »

haha that was great, got to love Bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Looked like and sounded like Souness was actually goin' thru' some form of interview tonight :rolleyes:
    Giles was gettin a bit pi$$ed with Souness at some stages too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Really impressed with Souness. He has a very good understanding of the game, and I think he would make us play good football.

Lol, imagine the lads on RTE come September, Ireland playing against Georgia and nobody defending..in preference for the 'Dutch style'. Dunphy would go insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Paul Dempsey on Setanta Sports closed their show tonight by saying that Andy Townsend is on the selection committee and they will be grilling him about his appointment on tomorrows Champions league programme.

Andy Townsend!!:confused:....how does he merit a place on the panel:mad:

Oh and he worked with El Tel for years at ITV:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

ziggy wrote: »

Dear Santa
    Ive been a good boy this year (trips to Prague and Glasgow, and any incident involving alcohol excluded, I always throw any coppers or tens in my McDonalds change in the kids collection ffs :) )
    Please make my christmas come early and let someone have recorded the discussed punditry on youtube :eek::(:)

Jesus Im dying to see this, sounds like a classic :D

I read Andy Townsend might be Tels assistant. Dont want either, Im for Troussier or Hodgson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Looked like and sounded like Souness was actually goin' thru' some form of interview tonight :rolleyes:
    Giles was gettin a bit pi$$ed with Souness at some stages too.

yeah it seemed he was really trying to up his stock, for the Ireland or the Scotland job. i never heard a man discuss so much about different styles of play in 5 mins in my life, it was like he wanted to prove that he was a student of tactical play, examining different strategy in detail. pity none of his teams ever looked like they trained together or received any direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1127/lyonbarcelona_av.html

Is this the pre match mayhem?. I only caught the last bit and am watching it now. Its over 20 mins so i think it might have all the fun and games?

Yeah, that's it.

All before the first break, it was about 20mins iirc.

Great stuff. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2007/1128/1195682517691.html

Opinions? I've none, as I don't know him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arie_Haan

As a manager

Two months after retiring as a player, he became trainer of Antwerp but in the middle of the 1985-86 season, he replaced Paul Van Himst who was fired from the club. Franky Vercauteren and Morten Olsen featured in his team alongside players like goalkeeper Munaron, Luka Peruzović, Erwin Vandenbergh, Alex Czerniatynski, Enzo Scifo and Georges Grün. In 1986, Anderlecht won the championship, after a two-legged play-off against Club Brugge. Club Brugge forced a 1-1 draw away to Anderlecht, and led 2-0 at home after thirty minutes, but Anderlecht managed to equalise. The same season, the club reached the semi finals of the European Champions' Cup, by eliminating Bayern Munich. The following season, his team retained the Belgian Championship.

After Belgium he became trainer of VfB Stuttgart in Germany on July 1, 1987. Stuttgart reached their first European cup final in 1989, the UEFA Cup, but failed to win the trophy against SSC Napoli (1-2, 3-3), a team that Diego Maradona was playing for at the time. He remained in Stuttgart until March 26, 1990. In July 1990 he became for one season manager of 1. FC Nürnberg.

Returning back to Belgium in 1991, he coached Standard Liège until the middle of the season 1993/94 and won the Belgian Cup in 1993. The season 1995-96 he became coach of PAOK FC and he remained there until October 1996, when he went back to his country to become Feyenoord manager for two seasons. In his first season, Feyenoord became 2nd in the Eredivisie.

After ten years, in December 1997, he became again for nine months Anderlecht manager and two months later he returned to PAOK to stay there until December 1999. He went to Cyprus, to become AC Omonia manager in November 2000 but he coached the team only for two matches since he had a great offer from Austria Vienna to become the team's manager. He asked from his club to release his contract and that was accepted. He left from Austria in August 2001.

He coached the Chinese national football team for two years since December 2002. In 2004, China hosted the Asia Cup and reached the final where his team was beaten by Japan. However, his team did not qualify for the 2006 FIFA World Cup after their elimination from the First round of qualifications, where China lost the first position the group to Kuwait. He remained as coach of China until November 2004.

Moving to Persepolis F.C. in February 2006, he helped his team reach the Hazfi Cup final. He was fired by the club just before the 2006-07 season began as he had problems with club management. Recently, he became trainer of Cameroon national team, however he resigned less than six months into a two-year contract citing interference from the president of Cameroon Football Federation Mohammed Iya as the reason. [1]

In November 2007 he stated his interest in filling the vacant Republic of Ireland management position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Oh yeah, I had a quick glance through the article, but what are people's reactions? Yay or nay? He seems about as competent as the other realistic options that are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

has bettin closed on it?

that rte clip is priceless

cue - keano for ireland, dunphy assistant. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I know in my heart and soul that the FAI won't even bother to chase the likes of Houllier, Jol or Hodgson (never mind Lippi!). They'll settle for Venables, a second rate manaber appointed by a third rate governing body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Arie Haan threw is name in the hat today.

Has the experience. Better choice than Venables.

Honestly, I'd take Hodgson or a European-style coach.

No more premiership-style managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, that's it.

All before the first break, it was about 20mins iirc.

Great stuff. Enjoy.

Enjoyed that alright, great stuff. Souness must be bored off his tree when he works with Sky after the outbursts on RTE :D

I loved when Bill pulled Dunphy's comment from two years ago when he was praising Venables!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I heard on the radio that John Giles said Don Givens will definitely be on the selection panel, doesn't fill me with confidence :( also said Andy T has ruled himself out of being on the selection panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i wouldn't object to someone like Haan. i don't know much about him but at face value he seems to tick a lot of the boxes. personally i'd prefer the new manager to come from somewhere outside the British school of soccer if that's possible. I think it's in our long term interests to get a manager who can get us playing a composed and more technical game, and tbh those from the continent are much better at creating this.

I don't like the noises i'm hearing though about the panel selection. In particular i despise the notion that Don Givens be on it. he comes with huge vested interests, he'll be thinking of self preservation when considering any candidate. We should be looking outside our traditional soccer circles to form this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's all well and good just reading a wikipedia article but it doesn't go into enough detail as far as i'm concerned. If you looked at Venables at England you'd think he did amazing, but if you actually look at it closely, it was far from amazing. Who is to say this guys achievements(which don't strike me as good anyway) don't have faults in them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Just watched the RTE clip. Great entertainment and Dunphy puts fwd an excellent argument.

Childish I know but picked these moments out....

15:45: Giles calls El Tel "Very Tenables" then quickly corrects himself.

18:45: Dunphy says "Birmingham Sh*tty" then also corrects himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

who voted for Chris hutchings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

madds wrote: »

Childish I know but picked these moments out....

15:45: Giles calls El Tel "Very Tenables" then quickly corrects himself.

*snigger snigger* was like that time he mixed up the 2 Ss in Steve Staunton and called him Steve Staunton :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ahhh...and there was me thinkin this was Foppe de Haan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I reckon if the FAI wanted Souness they'd have to move fast as he has expressed his interest in the Scotland job now too.

Klinsman for Ireland!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement