Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm confused about the selection process. Will the panel be the ones who make the decision or do they go to Delaney with their recommendation and he decides?

If it's up the panel to decide, what happens if they can't come to an agreement? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hodgson gone from Finland.

Could make things interesting

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=486202&cc=5739

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kraggy wrote: »
    Hodgson gone from Finland.

Could make things interesting

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=486202&cc=5739

Also, he is one of the ones helping the English FA in their selection process of a new manager, so I doubt if he's in contention for that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Grab Hodgson now before Scotland do. Anyone but El Tel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Grab Hodgson now before Scotland do.

+1. This is a no brainer.

+1. This is a no brainer.

but so is John Delaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Zing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm positive at this stage the FAI will not even talk to Hodgson. The whole selection process is so blindingly obviously corrupt:mad:

Did I hear right today that FAI officials are meeting with the 2 Dons (Howe and Givens) in London today to lay down the criteria for them being on the selection committee:confused:...to say I'm flabbergasted wouldn't even come close to summing it up:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

don givens has turned down the position on the selection committee - afaik

semibluff wrote: »
    don givens has turned down the position on the selection committee - afaik

Ye, thats what I heard yesterdday too, but then in todays Examiner:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=49237-qqqx=1.asp
    THE ‘panel meeters’ are on the move — the hunt for the next Republic of Ireland manager takes another step forward today with a meeting in London between the FAI and the men charged with recruiting the new boss.

Don Howe and Don Givens are the headhunters known to be in place, former Irish captain Andy Townsend having made clear that he was not interested in being the third man.

Howe, 72, is a former manager of Arsenal, West Brom, QPR and Coventry, and was England coach when Terry Venables — widely regarded as the favourite for the Irish job — was in charge of the national team in the mid-90s.

Don Givens, formerly a prolific striker for his country, is currently the manager of the Irish U-21 team and was caretaker boss for the recent senior game against Wales after the departure of Steve Staunton.

Chief executive John Delaney, President David Blood, Honorary Secretary Michael Cody and Honorary Treasurer Eddie Murray are the four FAI representatives who will attend today’s meeting.

Said an FAI spokesperson: “The meeting is to inform members of the panel of the conditions for the position.

“Following the meeting, the recruitment panel will take charge of the next stage in the process.”

It’s understood that the FAI want to ensure that there is no ambiguity about the role of the headhunters.

They are also likely to be told that a minimum annual salary of €1m will be on offer to the boss.

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »

great, so we have some mate of terry's choosing the manager.

great, so we have some mate of terry's choosing the manager.

Both are affiliated with Venables - Howe was part of his England set up for Euro 96 and Givens played with him for a few years at QPR:rolleyes:

givens turned it down because he dint want to pick the manager, and then be up for the blame as i was told - sorta like dev sending big mick over for the treaty negotiations - regardless nobody is going to be happy - so lets pass the buck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Remember though lads, if Venables messes things up(which will happen) we can't blame Delaney because the committee selected him :rolleyes:

venables drifting in the odds, 8/13 now from 1/2 from book closed . . .

arie haan from 66/1 to 50/1 to 12/1 today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

...they couldn't find a 3rd man to agree with Venables appointment:mad:

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2694
    The Board of Management of the Football Association of Ireland have appointed Don Givens and Don Howe to recruit the next manager of the Republic of Ireland senior team.

Four members of the Board met with Givens and Howe today in England where they outlined the conditions and requirements for the job and answered queries from the duo.

Speaking afterwards, the President of the Football Association of Ireland, David Blood, said the meeting had been extremely positive.

“We are delighted that we have found two extremely credible football men known throughout the game for their honesty and integrity. They will leave no stone unturned in their efforts to ensure that we get the best person for the job,” he said.

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney, who also attended the meeting, said:

“Over the past month we laid the groundwork for the next stage in the process. We have finalised the terms of reference, the criteria and financial package. The process has now been handed over the panel.”

The Board have given the panel the option of adding to their number if they deem it necessary. All relevant information in relation to the process to date has been passed on to the panel for their consideration.

The panel will now take over the recruitment process and their first task will be to draw up a list of the candidates they wish to interview. When they have completed their work they will return to the Board with a recommendation.

Don Givens is the current caretaker manager of the senior international team and manager of Ireland’s U21 side. He is a former record international scorer having netted 19 goals in 56 appearances between 1969 and 1982. His playing career included spells at Manchester United, Luton Town, Queen’s Park Rangers, Birmingham City, Bournemouth, Sheffield United and Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax who he went on to manage. He was youth team manager at Arsenal before taking over the Ireland U21 side. Givens has twice managed the senior international team having taken charge in 2002 against Greece and, more recently, against Wales.

“I am delighted to be of help to the association. I feel I have a good knowledge of what the job entails having worked with the three previous senior team managers and having been in charge of the current squad for the recent game against Wales.”

Don Howe, 72, is a former England international who won 23 caps and played in the 1958 World Cup. He played for West Bromwich Albion and Arsenal before injury cut short his playing career. He began his coaching career with Arsenal reserves and was first team coach when the Gunners won the English League and FA Cup double in 1971. After that his coaching and management career took him to West Brom, Galatasaray, Leeds United, Wimbledon, Queen’s Park Rangers, Coventry and England before he returned to Arsenal as youth team coach.

“I am honoured to have been asked by the FAI to assist in the selection of their next international team manager and I am looking forward to working alongside Don Givens,” said Howe.

Members are media are requested to direct all queries in relation to the recruitment process to the FAI Communications Department at 01-8999500. There will be no public update from the panel until the process is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Bigger shambles than the Sunderland defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

but so is John Delaney

Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Anyone backing a non-British/Irish manager might as well be pissing against the wind, now that this news is out.

Hodgson wants the Ireland job. I'm sure of it, so all this codology just makes it worse.

He was just on the phone there with Sky Sports News and more or less issued a come and get me plea regarding the Ireland job!

He said at the moment he is taking up an assistants role to Moratti at Inter in January.

Presenter asked him does that rule out of management, for example would he take the Ireland job?

He said he didn't want to say if he would or wouldn't take it but if they wanted to talk and let him know what was expected of the job he would meet with them.

So there you go. The most outstanding candidate confirms he is available and is willing to talk about Ireland job...over to you John Delaney:rolleyes:....I won't be holding my breath:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Don Givens is been made a scapegoat!

irish1 wrote: »
    Don Givens is been made a scapegoat!

Scapegoat me hole!

On the face of it himself and Don Howe are being given a bucketload of cash to climb aboard the great swindle and endorse the Venables appointment. If it comes off I will hold both of them just as culpable as Delaney.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd be happy with Hodgson. Recent record is quite good and i think he's do a good job.

Great news about Hodgson but the ones who should be taking notice are probably busy working on their propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Anyone backing a non-British/Irish manager might as well be pissing against the wind, now that this news is out.

What news???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What news???:confused:

that howe and givens are the 2 man panel to select our new manager...its one page back

I thought they were getting great football people to make this decision, so why is Givens on it? Hopefully they dont go for what we all suspect in El Tel and instead accept Hodgson's 'come and get me' to at least talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I swear I will never buy another Ireland match ticket or jersey if Delaney psses money away on Venables while Hodgeson is clearly available.

I mean why is he choosing Howe? Its clearly a decision already made. I mean if my Mammy was recruiting the new manager, I'd expect to get the job.

With Howe involved, Venables will walk into the job.

Show your liathroidí now JD and ring Hodgeson tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Don Givens to pick his new boss.

When will the farce end ?

Del Boy needs to go now.
    I personally have had enough. They can stick their tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I really think Givens needs to be got rid of fully, maybe this is Delaney's expensive way of doing that. Surely Giles, should have a word in Delaney's ear and appoint Hodgson, I would be happy with him, not Venables for the love of God :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Trotter wrote: »
    I swear I will never buy another Ireland match ticket or jersey if Delaney psses money away on Venables while Hodgeson is clearly available.

I mean why is he choosing Howe? Its clearly a decision already made. I mean if my Mammy was recruiting the new manager, I'd expect to get the job.

With Howe involved, Venables will walk into the job.

Show your liathroidí now JD and ring Hodgeson tonight.

Well Hodgeson has just started workin for inter so you can't be sure he's that available.
    Although he's certainly a better choice than Tel-boy i don't like the fact that he hasn't been at the same job for more than a year since leavin blackburn....way back in 98.

Edit: Wikipedia says he's been at UAE and a norwegian club for slightly longer. sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Its definitely going to be Venables, it has a feeling of inevitability around it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7124039.stm

Its definitely going to be Venables, it has a feeling of inevitability around it.

Agreed. I was reading the Herald today and Kenny Cunningham has written an article entitled "Venables the best man for Ireland job". The piece stinks and he leaps to the defence of the FAI coming out with utter bollocks. One bit made me laugh due to its absurdity. When talking about Venables, he remarks:
    The arguments against his appointment range from the predictable "but what has he won in the game", a ludicrous argument best debated in the primary school playground alongside that classic "my da's bigger than your da" debate.

Unbelievable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Howard Kendall has contacted the FAI about the job, has suggested he would have Peter Beardsley would work with him.

not one id like to see appointed but others may disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

He's been sacked from his last 2 jobs, and watch's the premiership on the weekends. no thanks.

liam brady 3-1 from 6's in two days

surely not????

terry drifting out and hodgson out as long as 12's now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Surely we have an FAI informant on boards.... I remember someone posted here about Staunton a day or two before it was announced - even before the bookies caught wind... I made a nice bit of money on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

semibluff wrote: »
    liam brady 3-1 from 6's in two days

surely not????

Nah Liam won't leave The Arsenal, why would he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    There's no question he wants the Ireland job. The only thing in favour of him is the player he used to be and the play he'd want the Irish team to play. Whether he could get the team playing that football is a serious doubt.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »

I think he would be a great manager and I don’t think he'd have to leave arsenal would he? Internationals would only take a few hours out of a manager’s time per week normally and there is only 3 days training before games, busiest time is during competitions when most clubs are on breaks...

Hopefully Houghton can bring some professionalism and proper order to this process...perhaps there is hope after all?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1205/ireland.html
    Ray Houghton, the former Republic of Ireland international, has joined the search for a new Republic of Ireland manager.

Scottish-born Houghton, who won 73 caps, will team up with former Arsenal coach Don Howe, and current Republic of Ireland U-21 boss Don Givens, as they seek a replacement for Steve Staunton.

The three-man group has been set the task of identifying and interviewing prospective candidates for the Republic of Ireland job.

At the end of the process the group will recommend to the Football Association of Ireland the person to lead the team in qualifying for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010.

Houghton will always be remembered as the scorer of two of the most important goals in Irish soccer history - the header against England at the European Championships in Germany in 1988, and a dipping strike against Italy at the Giants Stadium in New Jersey during the World Cup in the US in 1994.

The former Liverpool midfielder is a legendary figure among Republic of Ireland supporters and his addition to the recruitment process will be warmly welcomed by fans.

The 45-year-old, who also played with West Ham, Oxford, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace and Reading, joins Givens and Howe as they seek a successor to Staunton, who lost his job midway through a four-year contract.

Houghton was never short of the right stuff as a player, and his goals in Stuttgart and New York have ensured him legendary status among Irish soccer supporters.

But as he takes the plunge and joins the hunt for a new Republic of Ireland manager, he may yet be doing his country its greatest service.

Houghton scored six goals in his international career, including one in his final appearance in the World Cup qualifying play-off against Belgium in 1997.

Houghton knows the value of timing and he joins a headhunting process just when it most needed a lift.

His name and credibility can now be added to that of Givens and Howe as the search for Staunton's successor gathers pace.

A number of other former internationals have turned down the FAI's advances as they try to use football industry expertise to get the next appointment right.

Houghton joins the search for a world-class manager having played under a few himself.

His debut for the Republic of Ireland came on the same day that Jack Charlton took charge for the very first time - against Wales on 26 March 1986.

Eleven years later Houghton was still doing his thing on the right side of the Irish midfield; in the meantime he had played, either for club or country, under Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Ron Atkinson and Mick McCarthy.

Houghton is highly regarded within the game, and his work for media outlets, including RTÉ Radio and Television, has kept him abreast of the modern game and well within the public eye.

Because of his role in the recruitment process he will absent himself from comment and analysis on Republic of Ireland internationals for the foreseeable future in order not to be compromised or, perhaps more importantly, not to be seen to be compromised.

The media circus that has grown up around the Republic of Ireland story is an important element of the saga itself.

Houghton himself believes that someone had to step up to the plate. He was fed up of people ducking what he believes is a responsibility to the game in this country, and it is not in his nature to be negative about the chances of landing a decent managerial candidate.

He will look for a candidate that would inspire him as a player and there is reason to believe that his fellow RTÉ panellists Liam Brady and Graeme Souness fit that particular bill.

'The Irish players, traditionally, are a spirited bunch and an open mind and proper motivation can work wonders,' says Houghton. 'We can't afford not to speak to people in order to get the right man for the job.'

The timeframe, though, is important. Houghton believes he'll be busy in the run-up to Christmas and the hope is that a new boss can be identified early in the New Year.

The aim is to have a new gaffer in place by the time Brazil visit Croke Park on 6 February. Ideally, though, Ireland would have a new man at the helm in time for the World Cup fixtures meeting in Sofia on 16 January.

Houghton's addition will be seen as something of a coup for FAI Chief Executive John Delaney. A legend like 'Razor' Houghton is like a rabbit out of the hat, summoning the spirit of the Charlton era and adding huge impetus to the recruitment process.

The real coup will be to find a world-class candidate, particularly in a crowded market place.

Terry Venables remains the favourite for the job but Houghton is a contemporary of a number of other leading contenders.

He played with David O'Leary and Liam Brady and was managed (and sold) by Souness at Liverpool.

The search for the most important job in Irish football just got more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I voted for Troussier. English managers have achieved SFA since Brian Clough and Bill Shankly (may not actually be true:D). Seriously, we need to look outside of the usual Irish or foreign (ie. English) circles. The "traditional" game has been found out (re: Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales watching Euro 2008 on T.V.). It's time for something radical and be the first of the bunch to come out fighting in the WC qualifiers.

Roy Hodgson

Proven track record and wouldn't be a risk. I have great respect for Liam Brady BUT he does not have a good track record in management.

The amount of experience he has though - managing and failing(sometimes the best thing that can happen to someone) international experience in italy, and he's a great subbuteo player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Nunu wrote: »
    Hopefully Houghton can bring some professionalism and proper order to this process...perhaps there is hope after all?
    Ugh not houghton:(. Loved him as a player but if he's as good at choosin a new manager as he is a pundit then there is very little hope. He winds me up more then Dunphy with his poorly thought out opinions. I can't imagine he'll have any decent cotribution to the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

il gatto wrote: »
    IEnglish managers have achieved SFA since Brian Clough and Bill Shankly (may not actually be true:D).

Shanks was Scotish of course while Clough was from Mars.

Speaking of ex Liverpool managers from north of the border, I see Kenny Dalglish has thrown his hat in the ring.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has he really? Id be quite happy with him. Club management never suited him, too much stress. Was a natural at it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Roy Hodgson

Proven track record and wouldn't be a risk. I have great respect for Liam Brady BUT he does not have a good track record in management.

True but he's accepted some position at Inter afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah yes Mr Ray Houghton who can remember this outstanding performance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement