Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't say I'm delighted with Houghton on the panel. If Andrea Pirlo had played under every manager in the world I'd trust his opinion on who we should appoint, because tactically he's a genius. I just don't trust Houghton to go for the tactically astute, knowledgeable manager. I'm just a sucker for those type of managers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Andrea Pirlo? Lol, how random...great player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Phillipe Troussier is been touted as the next Socceroos manager over here , I really think we should be making an approach before anyone else does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can Ray Houghton choose the right man for the job? Defi-NITE-ly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Philippe Troussier

(1) Managed national sides: Nigeria; South Africa; Japan; Qatar; Morocco.
    (2) World Cup: Got teams to the finals: Japan
    (3) World Cup venue: South Africa: He coached them.
    (4) He is 25th with 109 on the list of Coaches with 100+ Internationals

But we will probably lose him as we spend time selecting committees to select a selection committee, who will start selecting in the new year.

Oh yeah ..... I forgot the FAI are now busy moving furniture / selecting carpets / arguing over who gets the corner office, down in Abbotstown, to bother about football.

• Advertisement

..... maybe not
    (2) World Cup: managed teams at the finals: South Africa; Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

would be happy with him but how expensive will he be and can we afford it ? i suppose we have a few quid spare after the last two lads we had in, can't have been paying them much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

When Stan got the job, Troussier had said he wanted it and didn't care what it was paying (within reason I suppose. €20 a day and a fish supper from Beshoff's wouldn't cut it). He's probably found out what a bunch of f@ckwits the FAI are by now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

According to TodayFM sports news, Bruce Arena is now in the frame for the Ireland job too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    According to TodayFM sports news, Bruce Arena is now in the frame for the Ireland job too...

Probably has about as much chance as Tina Arena getting the job, can't see the FAI appointing a Yank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I actually have more chance than Bruce Arena. Really. Anyone else ever thought it sounds like a made up name? Like something from a Will Ferrell film.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Has the FAI set a date for when they want to have a manager in place? We'll need someone with a bit of competance to represent us at the fixtures meeting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

RTE reckon that it'll be February, and that Givens will negotiate the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

....and that Givens will negotiate the fixtures.

Thats a very important job, it made us for the 2002 WC. Get the manager in and let him take control form the start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Jesus christ, another one?

At this stage Im waiting for Brian Clough and Bill Shankly to rise from the dead and declare interest, everyone living has already been linked to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

il gatto wrote: »
    I actually have more chance than Bruce Arena. Really. Anyone else ever thought it sounds like a made up name? Like something from a Will Ferrell film.:D

'New Ireland manager Bruce Arena....'

Nah, don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mheyauqlidmh/
    According to the wonderful people at breakingnews its been offered to Venebales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oh no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Good God.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dat deyer is a wurld claaas manager.

Bucket please.

I see the new Ireland jersey is also out in the shops after Christmas..

Ireland Jersey 08/09

Oh ffs :eek:

****ing idiots, its clear as day Tel wants our job, so what does he do? Takes a leaf out of Mourhinos book, feigns interest in a team he doesnt even want to get the one he does want. Why would he want Bulgaria? They are 1000 miles from home, barely anyone there would speak English and on paper they have a worse squad than we do. And Id reckon the FAI can afford a higher wage. He wants to try his luck with a team full of prem players that are based only a 50 minute flight from London. He wants to asses his Ireland players by watching Reading v Sunderland, not Sofia v Krazkvia. The English FA clearly dont think he is good enough to manage their squad, so why does the FAI?

A spokesman for the Football Association of Ireland has tonight dismissed as untrue a national radio report that the position of senior team manager has been offered to a candidate.
    http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2732

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

On the subject of the Irish jersey, does anyone hate the home jersey design? I was in Arnotts the other day, and I was just looking at the difference between the home and away jersey(white). The green one looks sloppy on, while the white one makes you look more Athletic and tougher(I guess)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Trotter wrote: »
    I see the new Ireland jersey is also out in the shops after Christmas..

Ireland Jersey 08/09

Are you sure that's it?

I heard Umbro have producced a new kit designed specificially to meet the needs of our players when they're out there on the pitch playing for their country.

Here's a sneak preview of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

shane86 wrote: »

The English FA clearly dont think he is good enough to manage their squad, so why does the FAI?

An argument put forward by Eamon Dunphy a few times. But being honest, can we really compare the likely candidates that are going to be interested in the job. Can you really see the likes of Jose or Arsene etc being interested in the Irish job.

I know England have done very little in terms of International football, but it is still a much bigger job than the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OPENROAD wrote: »
    An argument put forward by Eamon Dunphy a few times. But being honest, can we really compare the likely candidates that are going to be interested in the job. Can you really see the likes of Jose or Arsene etc being interested in the Irish job.

I know England have done very little in terms of International football, but it is still a much bigger job than the Irish one.

also, he didn't leave the english post in 96 for footballing reasons, and I reckon the FA tried to get him to stay at the time too - there was massive support for him in the media and among the supporters at the time.

Tauren wrote: »
    also, he didn't leave the english post in 96 for footballing reasons, and I reckon the FA tried to get him to stay at the time too - there was massive support for him in the media and among the supporters at the time.

Certainly was, I was living in London at the time of Euro 96, and their was huge support for him. It has been argued that football has moved on since then, but he still a very good coach, and thats from an Arsenal supporter. It is also hard to know what role he exactly had with McClaren. I just don't think Ireland have the players at the moment, best they can hope for is qualification, they need someone who will be able to get the best out of the players,Tel could be that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Certainly was, I was living in London at the time of Euro 96, and their was huge support for him. It has been argued that football has moved on since then, but he still a very good coach, and thats from an Arsenal supporter. It is also hard to know what role he exactly had with McClaren. I just don't think Ireland have the players at the moment, best they can hope for is qualification, they need someone who will be able to get the best out of the players,Tel could be that man.

what Ireland need above all is a motivator - someone to get the lads pumped to play for Ireland again, and someone who understands tactics.

We don't need a world class coach or trainer - I don't think any international side really does (as all the player education and training will be done at club level)

If Tel could get the lads playing as a unit and with pride/determination, we'll do ok - that is what we have been missing; the ability to play as a unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

eirebhoy wrote: »

And we've started believing the FAI now:eek:

Its becoming clear that its going to be El Tel, Souness's vibes alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Graeme Souness declined a meeting with the FAI's three man selection committee last week, while last night an FAI spokesman dismissed as untrue a radio report that the position of senior team manager had already been offered to a candidate.

As reported in the Star Sunday today, Souness declined a meeting with the committee during the week and last night told the newspaper: 'It is a huge pity as I feel this was a great job with real possibilities and feel that with my experience in England and on the continent, I could really have brought something to Irish football.

'I cannot reiterate how disappointed I am in this decision because I love Ireland and the thought of working with so many talented young players was something I would have relished.'

Meanwhile, an FAI spokesman denied a report the job had already been offered saying: 'The report is not true.

'At present, the panel, which was set up to recruit the new senior team manager, is in the process of contacting potential candidates to set up interviews and it is completely erroneous to suggest that somebody has been offered the position.

source: rte.ie

Well at least thats one bit of good news. Venables is a better choice than Souness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

So Souness is very dissapointed but didnt want to go to the meeting, did he just want to be offered the job straight away without any interview process? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Tauren wrote: »
    what Ireland need above all is a motivator - someone to get the lads pumped to play for Ireland again, and someone who understands tactics.

Pat Walker / Roy Hodgson Combo? Part 1

Pat Walker / Roy Hodgson Combo? Part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ireland parted company with Steve Staunton,

Since then
    England sacked their manager,
    England appointed a new manager
    and the new England manager will have learned a new language

before the FAI wake up.

Inaction FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

kincsem wrote: »

Inaction FTW.

Thats very unfair, I'm sure at this stage the FAI have ruled out/annoyed/alienated/been rejected by many suitable qualified candidates...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was talking to John Aldridge in the jacks of his pub in Liverpool on Sunday,I asked him would he have liked the job this time and he said...that never will he apply again the FAI are **** heads.He said he should have got it when Kerr got the the job.

He went on to say he heard Venebales is busy getting a backroom team together and he has asked Terry Butcher to be his number two.Now there is a strange choice.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I was talking to John Aldridge in the jacks of his pub in Liverpool on Sunday......

How the hell is everyone on this board running into everyone? The other day some lad said he was chattin to the Bolton players in Dublin. Two people claimed to have run into Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt. In 21 years Ive only ever seen Packie Bonner and Paul McGrath in public, and both from far enough away :confused:

Anyway, I see Troussier has accepted a Japanese club job :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How the hell is everyone on this board running into everyone? The other day some lad said he was chattin to the Bolton players in Dublin. Two people claimed to have run into Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt. In 21 years Ive only ever seen Packie Bonner and Paul McGrath in public, and both from far enough away :confused:

Well I was in his bar in Liverpool so its not that much of a coincidence.Its acutely not a bad bar a lot of the Irish lads that go to games use it.

I did hear that the Bolton and Cardiff players were in Dublin over the weekend for there Xmas night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Praying big time that Hodgson gets offered it. He clearly left it open for someone to come in for him when he said he'd turn down the Director of Football job at Inter "if an international side expressed an interest".

Very good manager and in my opinion, better qualified than Venables who is not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

just an update on the betting - el tel even money - gone in slightly
    brady out to 10/3 - glad to see this to be honest
    houllier in slightly to 7/1
    hogson 14/1

would rather houllier or hodgson. relatively fresh and innovative ideas as opposed to terrys failed approaches (judging by his most recent last ten years or so- which is what a coached should be judged on, his most recent successes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Two people claimed to have run into Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt.
    Claimed?

ORLY?

And, actually, it was Doyler, Hunty and Longy.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what's that yoke on your chin?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Eventually I will look like him

<
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

hehehe

semibluff wrote: »
    would rather houllier or hodgson.

Couldn't see him taking it.

houllier into 5/2

el tel out to 11/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

semibluff wrote: »
    houllier into 5/2

el tel out to 11/8

Good

I have a feeling Houghton is firmly against Venables.

yeh its a bit exciting - finally someone id like to see get the job. and there must have been some sort of moves made to support such movement in the market

Houllier is the players choice apparantly and Delaney had a meeting with a few of the players after the Welsh game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement