Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote: »
    Claimed?

ORLY?

And, actually, it was Doyler, Hunty and Longy.

:D:D

*in Father Todd Unctious voice*

"Here they are....all the lads" :D I tried an oul goatee myself but, despite my hair being blacker than coal, my oul lad being the same, and not having one redser in the immediate family or the cousins, the ****in beard went somewhat reddish after an initial growth period of pure black :( wft like.

Of all the cities in Europe i cant say id choose Dublin for a work do if I was loaded but I suppose familiarity breeds contempt ;)
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Well I was in his bar in Liverpool so its not that much of a coincidence.Its acutely not a bad bar a lot of the Irish lads that go to games use it.

Aye, its called Aldos isnt it? Taxi man was saying he had been there (he had earlier dropped Aldridge at that TV3 touring sports quiz yoke that was on at one of my reg spots around here). Sound chap by all accounts (unfortunately due to plans for Australia the planned trip to the pool for NYE is off)

Personally Id be happy to hear Tel has taken the Bulgaria job, but I think he is gunning after us. If the 2nd in command in my firm got sacked for failing to reach the required performance targets he would have a problem finding a new job in the same field, so why are the FAI keen on foreign cast offs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

shane86 wrote: »
    Of all the cities in Europe i cant say id choose Dublin for a work do if I was loaded but I suppose familiarity breeds contempt ;)
    It was the day of the FAI Cup Final, Cork City -v- Longford. Doyler and Longy (that's what their mates call them :p) are ex-City, and Kevin Doyle was a pundit on RTE that day. I presume Hunt came along for the piss up.

I have another pic of Doyle and Hunt looking a fair bit worse for wear, on a Sunday night/Monday morning. Some day I'll send it to Steve Coppell.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

shane86 wrote: »
    Aye, its called Aldos isnt it? Taxi man was saying he had been there

Yea thats the spot,its not a bad little pub I have bumped into a few players/ex players in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Whose having a giraffe?

Why is Mick McCarthy 8/1 for the Ireland Job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

think Hodgson still has odds too despite taking an executive role at Inter...just shows the lack of actual candidates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

think Hodgson still has odds too despite taking an executive role at Inter...just shows the lack of actual candidates!
    "If a national team wanted to have me they would have to be a) very quick and b) persuade the president to get rid of me before he even takes me on,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

semibluff wrote: »
    ive been told by good source el tel def wont be getting it.

Good sources told us Stan would be gone by 6pm three days before it happened.
    Good sources claimed Jose had serious interest in the England job
    Good sources claimed Stan would stay irregardless of the September and afterwards results
    Good sources have at one time or another said the FAI are hours away from announcing the job has been given to Souness/Tel/Brady etc etc.

"Good sources" are often full of sh1te

So El Tel is the new Ireland manager then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I suppose Sanchez will be lauded by one and all now that he has been sacked by Fulham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nunu wrote: »
    I suppose Sanchez will be lauded by one and all now that he has been sacked by Fulham?

He deserves to be lauded for what he did with the NI team.

Oh yes, plus he has the experience of managing an Irish national side - sounds perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He deserves to be lauded for what he did with the NI team.
    What, left them in the sh1ts when they had a chance of qualifying?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What, left them in the sh1ts when they had a chance of qualifying?

He left them top of their group. Wouldn't call that leaving them in the sh1ts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He left them top of their group. Wouldn't call that leaving them in the sh1ts.
    Well he didn't hang for the most important part.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well he didn't hang for the most important part.

He left them in a better state than he found them in. He ought to be lauded for that. He'd make for a much better appointment than Venables or Brady in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Whose having a giraffe?

Why is Mick McCarthy 8/1 for the Ireland Job?

Yeah wtf is that about :eek:

Noticed Houllier is 2nd fav with Paddypower. Personally i'd be happy enough if he got it.

Would people be happy if he became manager?
    And is he actually on for doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Don't forget the spin, if you want to go stay in work
    Or you'll end up where you came from like the rest of us
    Digging, digging, digging, ow di liddle do

And don't forget your shoes and socks and shirt and tie and all
    Don't forget your shoes and socks and shirt and tie and all
    We’re afraid Souness will make the frame if you make a call
    How's it goin' - Not too bad - Ow di liddle do

And we want a good eleven, but we're always leaking goals
    And we want a good eleven, but we're always leaking goals
    Yeah, we want a good eleven, but we're always leaking goals
    Well there's one thing you can say - we know where we are going
    Any chance of a qualification - No - OK - Ow di liddle do

And if we want to do it – we won’t be playing ball
    If you want to hide – a panel is better than a wall
    Never seen a player in the FAI at all
    There's a place down in Kildare where they won't see you at all
    Mind your Mercedes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

just been looking this list again now that Hodgson is gone off the market.

is there anyone else that we're all missing off the list? some magical left field candidate...the next Wenger perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

nurse_baz wrote: »
    just been looking this list again now that Hodgson is gone off the market.

is there anyone else that we're all missing off the list? some magical left field candidate...the next Wenger perhaps

More to the point, are there any candidates at all at the moment? Seems to be a serious lack of options, unless like you say there's someone out there that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

FAI are probably waiting for Venables to finish his xmas holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Read in the world that it looks like its going to be Brady in charge with Giles in role similar to Bobby Robson, rather have that than El Tel tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Bryan Robson is about to get the sack at Sheffield United, he is a possible candidate.

I think we should ask Graham Souness again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Souness? Are you serious, the man is a disaster of a manager!

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Bryan R...... is about to get the sack at Sheffield United, he is a possible candidate.

I think we should ask Graham Souness again though.

Delete your post please! ;)

Never mention Bryan R........ and Ireland job together

He is up there with Staunton and Mclaren as useless managers!

One of the dutch guys, Haan i think, is after getting the Albanian job. They probably offered more money.

Albanian's have HD channels now, that tells you how backward our country is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bruce arena said recently he wants it didnt he? he cant be all bad considering he did ok with the yanks

Souness? Are you serious, the man is a disaster of a manager!

He is terrible in the transfer market, and he cant wreck us that way, thats what sent him out at Newcastle after taking them consistently to the top 6 and even the Champions League where they won away in Milan... Doesnt sound too bad to me.

Also with his RTE punditry he knows Irish football.

and Kaisersoze Bryan Robson came in and kept West Brom in the Premiership.

We have to look for managers who have some sort of achievements.

whopedeedoo

What about the following season with WBA, what about his time at Bradford, what about Middlesbrough. He was a good player but he's a useless manager.

Jesus nearly every manager out there had one good season at some stage. If people are happy to have people like this managing Ireland then what hope is there. I would have cried if Paul Jewell got it, and he'd be 10 times better than Robson!

Keeping a team from being relegated isnt an amazing achievement. We had one terrible manager, we dont need another who's biggest achievement is coming 17th in the premiership.

To make matters worse, most of Sheffield Uniteds players were playing in the premiership last season and would have probably stayed up only for the west ham loving premier league and he also bought players, yet there near the bottom of the table. I think that helps to suggest that he's a crap manager.

If Sheffield United sack him, do we just ignore the fact he was sacked and just remember how he kept a team up before and won a few cups after spending millions and millions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

God i wish the FAI would just appoint anyone at this stage just so this thread could die a death.

Prediction: Most people wont be happy, whoever is appointed. For the simple reason...no one wants the Irish national job. Its a ****ty job.

• Advertisement

whopedeedoo

What about the following season with WBA, what about his time at Bradford, what about Middlesbrough. He was a good player but he's a useless manager.

Jesus nearly every manager out there had one good season at some stage. If people are happy to have people like this managing Ireland then what hope is there. I would have cried if Paul Jewell got it, and he'd be 10 times better than Robson!

Keeping a team from being relegated isnt an amazing achievement. We had one terrible manager, we dont need another who's biggest achievement is coming 17th in the premiership.

To make matters worse, most of Sheffield Uniteds players were playing in the premiership last season and would have probably stayed up only for the west ham loving premier league and he also bought players, yet there near the bottom of the table. I think that helps to suggest that he's a crap manager.

If Sheffield United sack him, do we just ignore the fact he was sacked and just remember how he kept a team up before and won a few cups after spending millions and millions?

Wow, sorry for making a suggestion, i didnt mean to offend you. who do you want in the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Read in the world that it looks like its going to be Brady in charge with Giles in role similar to Bobby Robson, rather have that than El Tel tbh .

Have great respect for the knowledge of those two but Giles hasn't been involved in senior football since his Rovers days maybe? And Brady has only Youth Team experience at Arsenal after Brighton and Celtic disasters. You know they'd want the team to play quality football but having the right idea in your head doesn't easily transfer into real life. Better than EL Tel every ****ing day of the week though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

If Liam Brady wants the job then they should give it to him IMO. We have not exactly got a wealth of experience interested in the job.

darkman2 wrote: »
    If Liam Brady wants the job then they should give it to him IMO. We have not exactly got a wealth of experience interested in the job.

We did have. But Fulham, some Japanese club and, wait for it, the Albanian FA* all moved faster, all while the FAI sat by the phone like some 17 year old who wants to ask a bird to the debs but is too shy to do it. Do we want Tel? No....we dont.....**** it Ill call him.....nah, mybe its not so good". Ridiculous

*: Maybe I dreamt this, but I read somewhere that when the Albanians came to play us in a qualifier in the early 90s they were so underfunded/woefully organised that they ended up playing wearing our away jersey, they didnt have enough for their own side. Is that true? If it is, and an FA like that grabbed Haan faster, it says it all really about the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    God i wish the FAI would just appoint anyone at this stage just so this thread could die a death.

Prediction: Most people wont be happy, whoever is appointed. For the simple reason...no one wants the Irish national job. Its a ****ty job.

I definately agree its a bit of a **** job, but at the same time, both Troussier and Hodgson actually expressed interest. Why we didn't bite their hands off i dont know, but i think we've missed the boat on getting someone decent that most people would have been happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Why we didn't bite their hands off i dont know

That's the problem here. The FAI isn't US.

It's a law unto itself. It does what the hell it wants, when the hell it wants.

And that is an absolute, undeniable fact.

It's why I hate the bastards so fúcking much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I really have a bad feeling about the next manager. I think it's giong to be Terry Venebles, best case scenario :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

DesF wrote: »
    That's the problem here. The FAI isn't US.

It's a law unto itself. It does what the hell it wants, when the hell it wants.

And that is an absolute, undeniable fact.

It's why I hate the bastards so fúcking much.

agreed + 1million

i have no idea whats goin on in the Ivory Towers of the FAI but from the outside looking in.........well it smells bad

nurse_baz wrote: »
    agreed + 1million

i have no idea whats goin on in the Ivory Towers of the FAI but from the outside looking in.........well it smells bad

When you smear your own poop all over the walls that's what you get :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What are the chances of the next manager calling up Fernando Cavenaghi?

Think about it......arrived in Beunas Aries...illiterate...jot down and i by accident...or in attempt to Spanishify(?) the name, the i was added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ummm.....okay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dalglish the new favourite for the Ireland job. 2/1 now with Paddys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Pighead wrote: »

Done nothing for over 10 years

I'm seeing a trend here

Probably have Howard Wilkinson and Jack Charlton emerge next.

Pighead wrote: »

Totally out of touch with the modern game. His last two appointments resulted in pathetic showings from the two teams involved. Always struck me at Newcastle that he didn't really give a **** about the club or his job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Unearthly wrote: »
    Done nothing for over 10 years

I'm seeing a trend here

Probably have Howard Wilkinson and Jack Charlton emerge next.

Dalglish has a decent record though, and alot of experience. I'm not sure I'd be a big fan of him getting it myself, he might be yesterday's man, but at this stage we have to accept that we're not going to get a Hiddink or Mourinho. Our stock has fallen too far, and we couldn't afford the likes of them anyway.

Dalglish might be as good as we'll get, and definitely a better option than Graeme Souness. I don't know why people are still mentioning Souness. He's a disaster of a manager. This is the guy who nearly brought Liverpool FC to it's knees, and who signed a player for Southampton that was so woefully inadequate he was removed from the fray within 20 minutes of his debut, never to be seen again.

I like him on the RTE coverage but as a manager his record is not good, and he's had a persistent tendency to fall out with players at every team he's managed.

EDIT: How the funk did Chris Hutchings make it into the poll??!! Is that a joke???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Does anyone think we should play the Scannel guy from Crystal Palace in our next game? I presume playing for the u-16 means he has already made his choice to play, but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

aidan24326 wrote: »

EDIT: How the funk did Chris Hutchings make it into the poll??!! Is that a joke???

Never mind how he got in, who the fcuk voted for him??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dalglish would be an interesting selection. He has been out of management for seven and a half years, and has rarely been touted for a job since 2001 when it was considered that he would take over from El Tel at Middlesboro. His time at Celtic was poor, and he completly ruined Newcastle after the departure of Kevin Keegan. This was indicated by his decision to sell Les Ferdinand, David Ginola and Faustino Asprilla and replace them with Stuart Pearce, John Barnes, and Ian Rush. He also brought a washed up Ian Wright to Celtic from West Ham.

In response to that he had an excellent time at Blackburn Rovers. People say he was well monied by Jack Walker, however, in 1994 he nearly caught Manchester United, before finally winning the title in 1995. It takes a lot to be able to convince the like of Chris Sutton and Alan Shearer to sign when bigger clubs were interested, but he did it. His Liverpool days were also very successful.

He has had some good times, and some bad. As such I am indifferent about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id definately have Dalglish over most of the other remaining options anyway. The obvious worry is that he's been out of the game a long time, but that isn't as much of an issue with international management. He has plenty of time to ease back into it before our first competitive game. He's also someone who brings immediate respect from everyone he works with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

How about Benitez, he could be out of a job soon! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement