Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

How about Benitez, he could be out of a job soon! ;)

Big Sam must be edging near the door aswell after last night's dismal result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

nurse_baz wrote: »
    just been looking this list again now that Hodgson is gone off the market.

is there anyone else that we're all missing off the list? some magical left field candidate...the next Wenger perhaps
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    More to the point, are there any candidates at all at the moment? Seems to be a serious lack of options, unless like you say there's someone out there that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Now that my longterm number one Hodgson is a non runner my numero uno is now Ottmar Hitzfeld. Wishful thinking when you consider his pedigree and who is in charge of getting our new man:rolleyes:, but it's not a completely fanciful idea...

He is not renewing his Bayern contract so walks on June 30th.
    At the moment his only intentions are to have talks with the Swiss FA regarding their top job in the coming weeks and see what they have to say - We should at least aspire to this with Hitzfeld, no? They need a new manager after Euro 08 when Kobi Kuhn steps down (actually he's not a bad option either, considering his unbeaten record against us:D)

I still can't get over that the FAI don't even seem to have contacted Hodgson on any level...and this was a candidate who all but laid his cards out on the table about his interest in the job!

Why are they so insular in their scope about the whole recruitment process, have they no imagination or aspirations at all? Hitzfeld announced his plans 2 days ago, so if the FAI have not already set the wheels in motion about trying to arrange an interview then that in my opinion is gross neglect of their duty.

If the Swiss FA can arrange talks with Hitzfeld then surely so could we? Managing Switzerland is not really any bigger a job than managing Ireland, we might even have more medium-term potential. They'd likely have more money to offer but I still don't understand why the FAI have to give it the poor mouth all the time about having no money. Why not? If the right man is available they'll have to stump up whatever it takes to get him. 1M per year should get most managers on board, for what is effectively a part-time job alot of the time and a job that doesn't carry the same kind of intense pressure as managing England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I don't see the harm in trying. For some reason I can't see the committee aiming that high though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hitzfeld spent the majority of his playing career in Switzerland and is supposedly a bit of a hero there so can't see him not taking that job. Hodgson was the one and only outstanding candidate (from a technical/coaching POV) and now he's gone. I'm sure when they asked Don Howe did he contact Hodgson he replied, "Hodgson? Hodgson?? What sort of a name is that? Sounds like a poofter to me." And then proceeded to continue his game of bridge with El Tel while puffing on a crate of Cubans supplied by the FAI's man in Cuba

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hitzfeld spent the majority of his playing career in Switzerland and is supposedly a bit of a hero there so can't see him not taking that job. Hodgson was the one and only outstanding candidate (from a technical/coaching POV) and now he's gone. I'm sure when they asked Don Howe did he contact Hodgson he replied, "Hodgson? Hodgson?? What sort of a name is that? Sounds like a poofter to me." And then proceeded to continue his game of bridge with El Tel while puffing on a crate of Cubans supplied by the FAI's man in Cuba

Completely agree actually...I'm 80% sure he'll take that job.
    But, I'm sure you'll agree that this is not reason enough to not at least approach him? If you're not in you can't win, you'll never know unless you try etc. etc...

Incredibly, he's actually on shaky ground at Bayern now. This despite going into the Winter break 20 odd games unbeaten!! Big mouth Rummenigge lambasted him in the press about his recent tactics in the wake of their 2-2 home draw with Bolton and it seems both parties have had enough judging by Hitzfelds retort that "When the club president publicly criticizes his coach, the pleasure of doing the job is no longer the same. Especially when you've gone 24 matches unbeaten. At Bayern, things have got out of hand."

So, he might even be available for something else much sooner than the summer.

LeixlipRed wrote: »

Given Don Howe's close links to El Tel that will surely be his first choice, assuming Venables wants it. Houghton seems to favour Venables too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

God help Houghton if El Tel is appointed. I'm sure he was listening Dunphy's rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

My God, Hitzfeld would be an absolute dream appointment. Top class manager, we can dream I suppose!

Pat Dolan for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hodgson was interviewed for the job.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0105/ireland.html

Good news in that they're at least approaching people.

When do you expect the appointment to take place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

When do you expect the appointment to take place?

Cascarino last night on the last word said he expects the appointment by the end of January. He said he is under the impression Venables has been offered it and is on holiday thinking it through.

Eirebhoy, yeah its good news that we're onto the right people, but bad news that we're leaving it too late, and didn't actually offer him the job.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Hodgson was interviewed for the job.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0105/ireland.html

Good news in that they're at least approaching people.
    'There was contact from Ireland. It came at the same time as Fulham got in touch. But I was not offered the job,' he said.

'I had a meeting with the people who were given the task of finding the next Ireland coach.

'It was a good meeting and I was very happy with the way things went, but I don't know if it would have led to me being offered the job.

'The people who saw me were meeting the other candidates as well.'

So, Basically my reading of that is if he was offered the job he would have taken it - how ****ing depressing:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This means that Hodgson was a very real possibility but the FAI gimps f*cked about for too long and now we'll end up being stuck with Tel Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nunu wrote: »
    So, Basically my reading of that is if he was offered the job he would have taken it - how ****ing depressing:(

Possibly, but then again who knows, same time as Fulham job came up,so even if he had been offered the job, he still could have gone with Fulham.

Nunu wrote: »
    I don't agree, I think he was going to take the Fulham job either way. If he really wanted the Ireland job he'd have contacted the 3 amigo's before accepting the Fulham job and filling them in on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I know this news is 2 days old but I only seen it today;

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/06/FAI-decision-date/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/
    The FAI's three-man selection panel will be decide on who will be the Republic of Ireland's new manager on January 22, according to reports.

The Irish Sunday Mirror says that Don Givens, Don Howe and Ray Houghton will make their decision and present it to the board of the Football Association of Ireland just two weeks before the meeting with Brazil in Dublin.

Former England boss Terry Venables remains favourite to secure the post, but Everton and Ireland midfielder Lee Carsley has warned the FAI that they must take into account the fans' wishes before coming to a concrete decision.

"I've seen plenty of names mentioned, some fantastic candidates and Terry Venables sticks out like a sore thumb," The Sunday Mirror quoted Carsley. "I know he'd go well with the players.

However, the defensive midfield man insists "the FAI have to listen to the fans. At the end of the day they're paying the wages.

"If they don't behind the team and fill Croke Park it won't be beneficial to anyone.

"It's like when Stan (Steve Staunton) got the sack - it was because generally the public weren't happy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

el Tel has apparently been linked with the Bulgaria job. Reports say he's on the 2 man shortlist of the Bulgarian FA.

• Advertisement

psi wrote: »
    el Tel has apparently been linked with the Bulgaria job. Reports say he's on the 2 man shortlist of the Bulgarian FA.

Wouldn't it be ironic if he masterminded our knockout after all the stick he has got in this topic(including myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i always associate the saying - "sticking out like a sore thumb" as having negative connotations!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Tip off from a reliable source that Didier Deschamps is being offered the job next week. He's gone from nowhere to 100/1 shot and paddypower now offering 25/1.

boy_wonder wrote: »
    Tip off from a reliable source that Didier Deschamps is being offered the job next week. He's gone from nowhere to 100/1 shot and paddypower now offering 25/1.

Is this the same reliable source the sun uses for transfers

boy_wonder wrote: »

Hmm id be pretty happy with him. Had a great spell with Monaco and did a good job with Juve last year. Thought he was unlucky not to get to stay on there, though it seems he and the board were at loggerheads.

Definately one of the best candidates out there now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Yeah id be pretty happy with him too taking all other options into account.
    Its from an FAI source and big money exchanging hands on him at moment

• Advertisement

He'd be excellent. A real football man

I'm not convinced he would be the right man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Deschamps would be brilliant but I can't see that happening.

All this stuff in the press about Bulgaria on the verge of taking Venables comes across to me like media spin and bullsh*t designed to prepare the public for Vegetables' eventual appointment.

I'm not convinced he would be the right man.

Given the realistic alternatives, or lack thereof, I think he's as right as we're likely to get at this stage. We've already lost out with respect to the guys with international experience with the exceptions of Hoddle and Venables. Venables I just don't want, couldn't see him taking it as seriously as well need, and, well, Hoddle's insane. Especially not a fan of his hiring of a mystic/witch/spiritual seer whatever you wanna call it, with England, we're enough of a laughing stock as it stands without that sort of approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Deschamps is certainly a lot more exciting than Dalglish anyway...

• Advertisement

I just think while obviously he could be a success, the chances of failure with him at the helm increase. Sort of like it could be brilliant with him, or we could end up being even worse than under Stan. I guess he would continue to make us play with the right way of football, which is a good thing. I actually think under Staunton there was an effort to have a good style, however we never attack using through balls, or intricate passing, we always rely on the wings.

Tbh any managerial appointment is a risk...I doubt the ship could sink any lower than it did under Stan, too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Deschamps has a bit of pedigree alright, but I'd be a bit suspect on his knowledge of the Irish, and probably more importantly the English game. I'm sure he knows the big names etc but we're not quite at that level are we with the players we're calling up.

That said, with a decent backroom team to balance that out, he'd be a good manager/coach for any team

Thats a good point about his knowledge of the game, but id image he will be brought in with another former irish player as his No.2. Wouldn't mind Brady in that role actually.

Don't think the knowledge should be much to be concerned about. He'll have a few months to study most of our players, we are not like England where we have loads of choices. The squad is pretty straight forward. It's just about getting them working together as best as possible.

I don't think bridging the gap will be too difficult, Ireland is a small place with a limited number of players...as opposed to somewhere else (England, Spain etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

maybe a bit of fresh thinking is what we need. I did say that having a good backroom staff would pretty much balance it out. Brady as Number 2 looks good on paper anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Liam Brady would be good as a Number 2, he can look outside the box which most cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i dont understand why people dont want venables.
    hes got a great international experience.
    the players want him.
    we can afford him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

prendy wrote: »
    i dont understand why people dont want venables.
    hes got a great international experience.
    the players want him.
    we can afford him.

He's just in it for the money and that's reason enough to not want him. Those sunbeds don't pay for themselves. Plus we can't afford someone else to 'do a Bobby' and keel over midway through a job.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's just in it for the money and that's reason enough to not want him. Those sunbeds don't pay for themselves. Plus we can't afford someone else to 'do a Bobby' and keel over midway through a job.

This strikes me as odd. Why would Venables be 'just in it for the money'? Unless he's the greediest money-grabber of all time. He's said to be a wealthy man from his private business interests, not to mention the football management,TV punditry etc(pocket money), and surely isn't stuck for the couple of million we'd be paying him over the duration of his contract.

At the age of 64 he hardly needs any more money than he's already got (a multimillionaire already). So is he just plain greedy, or is he serious about doing something with Ireland should he get the job? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say himself, seems to be keeping unusually quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the holiday homes property market is booming in bulgaria at the moment.

this morning the independant have named houllier as one of the favourite.
    so we have had venables, dagleish and houllier all as "certainties" this week alone.

;)

the holiday homes property market is booming in bulgaria at the moment.

this morning the independant have named houllier as one of the favourite.
    so we have had venables, dagleish and houllier all as "certainties" this week alone.

;)

Dont forget Deschamps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's just in it for the money

if that was the case there are FAR more lucrative jobs than the relative pittance he'll be getting from the fai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

At this stage I don't care who manages Ireland, just as long as they have some managerial credentials, 'cause I've lost interest in the whole thing TBH. If it's Venables, the FAI need to let him know to refer to the team as 'The Republic' or 'Ireland' and not 'Eire'.......or maybe that's just an Apres Match thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flanzer wrote: »
    'The Republic' or 'Ireland' and not 'Eire'.

Why.

Here, let me quote from The Constitution of Ireland, Bunreacht Na hÉireann

Article 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Helix wrote: »
    if that was the case there are FAR more lucrative jobs than the relative pittance he'll be getting from the fai
    I don't know about that. Which country would pay him €1.5m a year?

Venables was England manager for 24 games. 21 of them were at home. He still has the same win success rate as Graham Taylor who played 23 of his 38 games outside of England. Home advantage is huge and kind of discredits Venable's England record imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

just seen the front of a red top saying mick mccarthy is in the running:eek:.
    dont know which one and didnt read the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Venables was England manager for 24 games. 21 of them were at home. He still has the same win success rate as Graham Taylor who played 23 of his 38 games outside of England. Home advantage is huge and kind of discredits Venable's England record imo.
    I wouldn't say it totally discredits it but it certainly doesn't cover him in glory especially when you consider that he didn't have to qualify the team for the Euros as they were hosts.

We need someone that could qualify us for a major tournament and so far he has never achieved that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement