Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

prendy wrote: »
    just seen the front of a red top saying mick mccarthy is in the running:eek:.
    dont know which one and didnt read the article.
    McCarthy has been linked with the vacant post following Steve Staunton's sacking but Moxey is adamant the former Irish boss is not leaving the Championship club.

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2008/0108/1199313665514.html
    Wolves fans woke this morning to find the tabloids full of further speculation regarding the future of manager Mick McCarthy.

the Mirror and The Star both claim tha the FIA are on the verge of making an official approach to McCarthy following the stalling of talks with Terry Venables.

With Super Mick being on a 12 month rolling contract, and offical talks between the FIA and McCarthy would surely have to be sanctioned by Wolves who have so far given no indication of a willingness to lose the Yorkshireman.

Publicly, anyway.
    http://www.wolves.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=95801

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What have the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile got to do with the appointment of the next Irish Manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

DesF wrote: »
    Why.

Here, let me quote from The Constitution of Ireland, Bunreacht Na hÉireann

Article 4
    That is the name of the country as a whole, not the football team, which is officially called Republic of Ireland

Eleven a side saying Houllier is favourite now

http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=30535

It seems as if there is a new favourite every day now

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What have the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile got to do with the appointment of the next Irish Manager?
    Didn't think they had anythong to do with it, but thinking about it they would probably know as much as the powers that be currently do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Big Sam will probably be linked too now, opinions on him as Ireland manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

deise59 wrote: »

hoofball ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

any worse than El Tel??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Hate Aldyrdyce, but he is TOO qualified for the Ireland job.

He will have the rest of the season off and he'll have his choice of a few prem clubs in the summer

deise59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be great to watch, but I don't think anyone would care how we play as long as we qualify, id love if he got it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Wouldn't be great to watch, but I don't think anyone would care how we play as long as we qualify, id love if he got it

Nolan might declare for us ;)

• Advertisement

We'd need Kevin Davies too for it to work, or else he could just do a job on Gary Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Prendy: But Venables doesn't actually have a good record at all, 2 trophies in his entire career (85 and around 93 I think) They were the Spanish league and the fa cup.
    He has since dragged leeds down as well as dodgy dealings with pompey, His English side didn't actaully play too well in 96 if people remember performances and he didn't have to qualify....his latest england spell as number 2 was a disaster.

He is a joke of a manager.

Compare him to Houllier who has trophies galore (more in one season than Venables entire career)....Houllier 6 major trophies in 6 years, managed the underage french side in the years before 98 (bringing up the young players)...and knows the english game aswell as wanting the job.
    He is the perfect canditate.

Who said the players want Venables??? A fella I know was talking to Kevin Doyle and Hunt in Dublin when Cork City won the FAI Cup and they said that Houllier is the players choice.

Other Canditates:
    Deschamps...I dont know enough about him tbh
    Sam...I would be sketchy as I don't like him BUT he is alot better than El Tel.
    Dalglish...think he could be good aswell.
    McCarthy...what a joke....never gonna get the irish job...he couldn't.
    Brady...I don't know why everyone loves him...has Arsenal youth experience...is that really enough? Still tho' miles better than Terry, is a risk but could be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Prendy: But Venables doesn't actually have a good record at all, 2 trophies in his entire career (85 and around 93 I think) They were the Spanish league and the fa cup.

He is a joke of a manager.

The second coming of El Tel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Itll be just like old times if Sam got the job. Sure if it worked for Charlton ........ :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Prendy: His English side didn't actaully play too well in 96 if people remember performances and he didn't have to qualify.

Have to disagree, thought England were very good in 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Who said the players want Venables??? A fella I know was talking to Kevin Doyle and Hunt in Dublin........

Enter the Des :D again.....
    As said before, looking for people sacked from previous jobs for underperforming is a disastrous way for an organisation with funds like the FAI to conduct themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Yeah they were. Destroyed Holland, comfortable against a decent Scotland side and were unlucky to lose in the semi's against Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

em, I think you forgot to mention Switzerland and Spain. They were second best against both teams. There wasn't much between themselves and Scotland and you could say their performance against Germany was brave. Fair enough, they deserved to beat Holland. But they were at home. You'd expect them to have the better of every game they play at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

a new rumour has reered its head now, stating that the FAI have already approached the "dream team" of liam brady and johnny giles!! now i would love that....just think of the apres match possibilities! :D

we have to think of it this way, no manager is going to be a miracle worker, we are a minnow and dont have a great team, gone are the days where we are a team that others are weary of! our star striker couldnt hit a donkeys arse with a banjo for ireland, he needs to be dropped by the new manager, stans idea of making him captain was infact his worse decision as ireland manager imo! the FAI better be careful about who they pick, lets not forget who we are against in febuary in croker! (the FAI promised us a manager before that match)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

a new rumour has reered its head now, stating that the FAI have already approached the "dream team" of liam brady and johnny giles!! now i would love that....just think of the apres match possibilities! :D

That rumour is going around a week or two now.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    That rumour is going around a week or two now.

yeah but ive been waiting to be granted access to the soccer board!! :D i still think its a possible one as neither party have denied it! (admittedly neither have fed the rumour either)

I wish they would just name a manager. Fair enough if they took their time finding out excellent candidates that may be interested but apart from the odd chance, it looks like we are getting a manager past their best, or not exciting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/10/International-Allardyce-contacts-Givens/

Sam Allardyce's agent has reportedly made contact with Don Givens with regard to the vacant Republic of Ireland manager's job.

Allardyce parted company with Newcastle United on Wednesday afternoon and confirmed that he would be taking a break from Premier League management.

However, he made no reference to international coaching and 2fm radio station in Ireland are reporting that the agent of the former St James's Park boss made a phone call to Givens in relation to the Republic of Ireland post.

Givens, who is caretaker coach of the Irish national side and part of the panel entrusted with finding a new manager, confirmed he had taken a phonecall but revealed that he has yet to follow up on it.

The FAI, meanwhile, have refused to comment on the latest development.

Allardyce, who wishes to stay in football, has some history of managing in Ireland after spending a year in charge of Limerick City.

He took up the role of player/manager in 1991-92 and guided the League of Ireland side to promotion from the First Division during his only season at the club.

Allardyce is currently 16-1 with the bookmakers to become Steve Staunton's successor.

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the job or at the very least was considering it. He could possibly see it as a stepping stone to the one job he really wants, that of the England Manager. Whether he'd be any good is another matter.

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if he got the job or at the very least was considering it. He could possibly see it as a stepping stone to the one job he really wants, that of the England Manager. Whether he'd be any good is another matter.

I was thinking the same myself. The thing that let him down not getting the job before was no proven record in Europe or the International scene(even mclaren did)

So if he was to do well at ireland, he would be the number 1 choice to be next england manager I reckon

Unearthly wrote: »
    So if he was to do well at ireland, he would be the number 1 choice to be next england manager I reckon
    He's definitely be in the running alright. The general consensus with the FA is that Capello is just a stop gap until they get an English manager in.

There only seems to be room for one real creative player in a Sam Allardyce midfield.

Keane---Morrison
    Duff---Kilbane--Carsley--S.Reid

I could see him going with something like that. He'd reluctantly play Keane.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There only seems to be room for one real creative player in a Sam Allardyce midfield.

Keane---Morrison

I can see him go for S.Reid in centre and Ireland out on the right.

Then again he might go for his 433/451 tactic but we don't have the players for that.

Keane---Morrison

No Kevin Nolan? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Unearthly wrote: »
    I wish they would just name a manager. Fair enough if they took their time finding out excellent candidates that may be interested but apart from the odd chance, it looks like we are getting a manager past their best, or not exciting at all.

He was booted out in October 2007... Correct me if i'm wrong but 4 premiership manager have been booted and replaced since then and 1 english manager too!!

He'd reluctantly play Keane.

i hope if he is manager he will at lest remove the armband from keane, he doesnt deserve it in fact imo he doesnt deserve his game, and i hope whoever becomes our new manager knows that and has the balls to light a fire underneath keane.....either step up or get out!

in fact imo he doesnt deserve his game
    I wouldn't go that far. Keane just needs competition. He plays better when he has something to prove. Being guaranteed his place every game doesn't help. Also, being Captain doesn't help when it comes to changing your options mid game as Captains invariably play the full 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

apparently (according to someone on the Gambling forum), Didier Deschamps has just been spotted outside the Fai's headquarters.

s8n wrote: »
    apparently (according to someone on the Gambling forum), Didier Deschamps has just been spotted outside the Fai's headquarters.
    "My mate just saw Didier Deschamps outside the FAI offices on Merrion Square"

The FAI headquarters isn't in Merrion square any more so it's rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"My mate saw Didier Deschamps in Merrion Square cos like many vistors, he was lost"

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

no his mate said the FAI...didnt say where.
    he's gone from 100-1 into 4-1 since wednesday so someone knows something.

Time to get the cocks out lads?

I wouldn't go that far. Keane just needs competition. He plays better when he has something to prove. Being guaranteed his place every game doesn't help. Also, being Captain doesn't help when it comes to changing your options mid game as Captains invariably play the full 90 mins.

atm he is not playin well for ireland, and hasnt done in a long while (does everyone remember the sitter he missed in croker against germany-some start striker) and when a player isnt well he should be dropped, imo this will wake him up and he will learn that he is not indespensible! and this may finally make him play at least half decently!

atm he is not playin well for ireland, and hasnt done in a long while (does everyone remember the sitter he missed in croker against germany-some start striker) and when a player isnt well he should be dropped, imo this will wake him up and he will learn that he is not indespensible! and this may finally make him play at least half decently!
    I think we're actually singing from the same hymn sheet tbh.

A clean slate for everyone when a new manager comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

TV3 news just implied that Venables has pretty much been offered the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bulgaria have given the job to the other bloke

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I hope they're wrong.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

didier or big sam, would be happy with either of them, closely followed by Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah I think Sam would be the kind of manager Ireland needs, getting the best out of limited resources like he did at Bolton (but not at, er, Newcastle...)

Andy Reid - Arguably the most gifted passer of a ball we've had since Brady.

Duff/McGeady - 2 of the most skillful players we've ever had.

Robbie Keane - The most naturally gifted striker we've had. Seedorf in 2000: "He is a phenomenon. He has some incredible moves, especially when it comes to dribbling"

Stephen Ireland - Another player with excellent technique. Especially with the outside of his foot, probably the hardest technique to master.

Owen Garvan - On their day Ipswich are probably the best football team in their division and Garvan is the main man in that team. He's now playing in the deep lying role regularly at 19. This is how the Guardian described a man of the match performance a couple of months ago:
    "To score a hat-trick and not be man of the match says something for the man who was. Garvan was the fulcrum of this fantasy football."

Jamie McCarthy - advisor George Gray: “Rafa Benitez was very impressed by him. He told me that he regarded James’ technique as better than Steven Gerrard’s was at the same age."
    I don't know how Benitez would know how good Gerrard was at that age but it's probably possible to some accuracy tests or something.
    Anyway, I think he definitely has a big future and should be making in the Ireland squad in the next couple of years.

Anthony Stokes - I still haven't lost faith in him. He played up front with Connolly against Newcastle reserves the other day. Scored 2, hit the bar and forced the keeper into a great save. Stick him up front and I think he'll get you goals. He relies heavily on through balls and the type of service Filipo Inzaghi thrives on.

There are other players playmakers like Glenn Whelan and Darron Gibson too but I think all of the above are certain to be in or around the Ireland squad in the near future.

Anyway, all of the above players would be best suited to a short quick passing game. I haven't even mentioned Carsley, Steven Reid, Hunt and Doyle because I don't think they rely on good passing football as much as the others. They'd certainly have no problems with it though obviously.

Kerr tried to focus a lot on the passing aspect. He was successful in the friendlies. We outclassed Holland in Holland. We deservedly beat Portugal and Croatia. We showed in those games that we can compete with the best teams by playing football. Unfortunately Kerr's teams bottled it in the competitives, especially after going ahead.

There's no question we've a much better team than Poland. Celtic's Zurawski captains them from midfield. Half their team still play in Poland and the rest in the 2nd and 3rd tier leagues around Europe. They've been successful playing a decent style of football and topped their last qualifying group containing Portugal. Meanwhile England failed to qualify with their brainless football (Ⓒ Florent Malouda).

For some reason when I say that I want a tactically astute manager who'll focus on attractive passing people ask if I prefer good football to success. They seem to be mutually exclusive when it comes to Ireland. We can play ugly with a chance of success or try to play football and give up any hopes. I simply think we'll be more successful playing a more continental style of football and I believe we have the players.

It's probably unfair to say Allardyce is a long ball merchant considering Okocha was once then main man in his team. But the fact is, every one of Bolton team from last season have a better pass success rate since he left. The average has gone up from 66% to 73%. I just don't see how that could be for any other reason than players taking more risks with their passes under Sam, ie. more long passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Amazing post, and spot on. Ireland does not have the same style as England. Our players are not 'typically English'. I don't believe we have British Charachteristics in our game. Ok we have the term 'fighting Irish'(as a country) but I don't think this is us. We need someone to let the players go out an play with flair.

I expect James McCarthy to get into the squad during the campaign.

Great post Ger.
    As did the last word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just Take The Job Terry! I Want This Thread To Die! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I will go into a state of depression should El Tel be given the job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement