Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,130 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I can't believe people are suggesting the likes of Bruce and Jewell - these are managers whose major achievements are staving off relegation (and they haven't always managed that either). Just like last time around many people were suggesting Bryan Robson. talk about lack of ambition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wim jansen ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I don't think anyone on that list is suitable to be honest... What we need is one of the international 'mercenary' managers who has international experience, e.g. Guus Hiddink, Phil Scolari, Phillipe Troussier etc.. Guys that have managed 2 or 3 international sides and know how it works... I'm not saying that we should get one of these guys in particular, but they are the caliber of manager that we need.

After Euro 2008 there will be a lot of movement as there usually is after tournaments. I reckon we should wait until then... Might not give us time to prepare for the World Cup qualifiers, but we could get a better manager out of it![/QUOTE]

Very good point. It might be a gamble, but on the face of it if you look around now there are not many credible managers available, so could be worth it.
    On the other hand, if Staunton is sacked by Nov 17th then having the national team managers job in limbo for 7 months is not very desirable.
    It's a tough one. I'm certain that most current international managers are contracted until next June because usually the are up for review after each campaign(something the FAI chose to not do:rolleyes:0). So, maybe we should try and secure one of those managers who are out of contract in the summer and have an interim coach in the meantime.....this is what England tried to do with Scolari before he backed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Id be happy enough with Souness as well, at least he's a strong character to not be an FAI yes man

This puts him out of the running. Completely.

Brian Kerr wasn't a yes man, and he was shafted by Delaney.

Steve Staunton is a yes man. It's why he got it.

Look lads. Young up and coming English managers aren't going to want it.

You can say 'people like' Allardyce and Coppell, but who else is 'like' them? And, seriously, someone 'like' that wouldn't be idiot enough to work for the FAI.

It's going to be an ex-internatoinal, probably someone who played under McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

loyatemu wrote: »
    I can't believe people are suggesting the likes of Bruce and Jewell
    The appointment of Stan is the cause of that.

I think Third_Echelon is right we should be hiring a Mercenary type Manager that has a good track record and who will at least get us qualified for a tournament. But whether that happens is another thing all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What was the name of that manager who was doing really well with Hearts about 2 years ago but got sacked by the owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I reckon it will be John Aldridge..

Until heads role in the FAI we aint going to get a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

DesF wrote: »
    It's going to be an ex-internatoinal, probably someone who played under McCarthy.

+1 for jason mcateer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What was the name of that manager who was doing really well with Hearts about 2 years ago but got sacked by the owner?

George Burley, currently mis-managing Southampton.

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote: »
    George Burley, currently mis-managing Southampton.

Ah! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Q_Ball wrote: »
    +1 for jason mcateer

That's just crazy talk! Phil Babb is a much better option.

What about resurrecting the Three Amigos.

What about resurrecting the Three Amigos.

Trio's clearly don't work for us. Look what the last one achieved. They chose TheGaffer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Paul Jewel has said he does not want International management. Hodgsen FTW or someone else of that ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Souness. Based on what?!?

Hodgson would be a good appointment, but it's a sensible one, so I can't see it happening. Gerry Peyton gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

jose mourinho would love this job. I reckon he could whip into shape for the world cup and then probably leave after we win just so he could maintain his special one status

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We need someone who knows the structures required for elite soccer players, not just a coach who picks players.

Someone with the experience of Hodgson would be great, but will it happen, not farking likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

aldridge

have absolutely no doubt in my mind about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'm sure Paul Jewell will be a contender...Souness, O'Leary perhaps...

A better quesiton would be: who'd want this job? It's gonna take a lorra money...apparently the FAI made a 45m turnover last year...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ok realistically then who do we think it's going to be.

I'll set up a couple of categories:

* Promoted from eircom league / youth level, e.g. Givens, Fenlon etc

* Played for Ireland under Jack/Mick, e.g. Whelan, Aldridge, O'Leary

* Young inexperienced (at international level) English league manager e.g. Jewell, Bruce

* Senior inexperience (at international level) English league manager e.g. O'Leary, O'Neill, Burley

* 'Mercenary' type international manager e.g. Hodgson, Beenhakker, Hiddink

* Or some totally unpredictable other category, for example someone who's not managed at any level in say 5 or more years.

For me, I think it's going to come from the mercenary type international manager, but they're only going to be appointed after the Euro 2008 championships are over. (Or beforehand if they are free, meaning they weren't managing a team in Europe or their team didn't make it).

• Advertisement

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Souness. Based on what?!?

Based on his charasmatic appearances on RTE during the world cupán.

I'm sure if Hitler was around today, came on Prime Time and demonstrated that "ah sure he's not that bad!" we'd probably elect him Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Based on the fact that he would have all the players respect. would not be a yes man with the FAI. Has won competitions in Scotland and Turkey. Did well enough in England to get the Newcastle job (probably the 5th biggest club). Isn't currently in a job and might actually want to take it.

Seriously, i don't think we could realistically expect anyone better.

There is only one man for the job....

Shay Given...player manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Where did all this hate for souness come from?
    The man has won a lot of throphies.

And the last thing you can blame him for is unorganised teams, he is exactly the type of manager we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

he'd take no crap off the players anyway, and strikes me as a good motivator, he's done and seen it all as a player after all (duh that counts for nothing! read: Stan)...yeah

Seaneh wrote: »
    Where did all this hate for souness come from?
    The man has won a lot of throphies.

And the last thing you can blame him for is unorganised teams, he is exactly the type of manager we need.
    Could be a lot of it coming from him nearly destroying Liverpool Football Club in the early nineties. Plus getting rid of all the Irish players out of said club. Plus managing Rangers.

That enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Arrigo Sacchi. :cool:

For the last time lads.

The FAI will not appoint a non-yes man.

w00t - 7,000 posts

Cant help but feel a lot of the hate towards Souness may lie with his previous involvement with Rangers.

No doubting that a fair amount of Irish fans wouldnt be impressed if he got the job. Unfortunately.

edit: souness shambolic time managing liverpool was at a time when he still had so much to learn in management, he admits himself now that he would do almost everything differently if he was to be able to go back in time. As for selling all the irish players/anti-irish buzz? dont be so ridiculous. says selling Duff was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made in management. the anti-irish thing is just something **** celtic fans like to bash him with. not true at all. married to an irish woman for christ sake.

(by **** celtic fans, i mean anti-rangers,jersey & track-suit merchants for all occassions who know nothing about football, but know all the lyrics to the wolfe tones greatest hits)

He wouldn't be affraid of making big decisions, droping players etc, which i think Stan and Kerr have been.

also, AFIK, Shay given gets on well with him.

• Advertisement

also, AFIK, Shay given gets on well with him.
    Well that's a relief! I hear he also makes a lovely cup of tea.

He seems to have left club after club in a worse state than when he joined them. The only thing in favour of him getting the Ireland job is that that outcome would not be an option this time around.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No doubting that a fair amount of Irish fans wouldnt be impressed if he got the job. Unfortunately.
    Who?

The wánkers who boo ex-Rangers players?

Fúck them, idoits.

Also, the myth that Souness is Anti Irish holds no water.

His wife is Irish.

Maybe he just likes fúcking the Irish.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Still would be funny to see a former Rangers player and manager in charge, the Celtic jersey wearing crowd would be thriller I'm sure.

Come to think of it, I'd honestly love to see that happen.
    It'd be very interesting to see how Irish based Celtic fans would respond to an appointment of Souness.

Also, the myth that Souness is Anti Irish holds no water.

His wife is Irish.

Maybe he just likes fúcking the Irish.:D
    Maybe Anti Irish is a bit strong. But after having managed Rangers, and being openly opposed to Scotland's separation from England, I wonder where he'd stand on the Gibson case...

joker77 wrote: »
    Could be a lot of it coming from him nearly destroying Liverpool Football Club in the early nineties. Plus getting rid of all the Irish players out of said club. Plus managing Rangers.

That enough?

Boo-fuking-hoo, he sold some Irish players ebcause he thought he could improve the team, most of the players he sold were coming to the ends of their carees anyway. it's called over-hauling, happens everywhere.

He has signed Irish players for both Newcastle and Blackburn, he works for Irish TV, some of his best mates from his playing days are Irish, he's not some paddy bashing idiot.

He did bad at ONE club, whoop, Alex Ferguson was **** for the first 3-4 years at Man U, look at him now.

Again, Boo-fukin-hoo, he managed rangers, who gives a flying fu(k except a couple of bigoted idiots in leprechuan suits and hooped jerseys, generally the sae idiots who protested outside croker saying "keep forgien games out of Croke Park" while wearing hooped jerseys.

Get over it.

We'd be lucky to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah I'd go Souness if only to wind up the Celtic skangers. Be hilarious.

Ah, I just despise Souness for what he did at Liverpool, I just can't see past that.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd go Souness if only to wind up the Celtic skangers. Be hilarious.

Ha, it'd be a good headfu*ck!!!!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Boo-fuking-hoo, he sold some Irish players ebcause he thought he could improve the team, most of the players he sold were coming to the ends of their carees anyway. it's called over-hauling, happens everywhere.
    If he made the team better, I probably would 'Get over it'.
    But when he took over Liverpool he ruined the club and it took them years to get over it.

openly opposed to Scotland's separation from England, I wonder where he'd stand on the Gibson case...

What do his political views have to do with the price of butter?

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let someone with gibbsons potential play for the republic if he was given the job, infact, I reckon he'd champion the boy.

Ah, I just despise Souness for what he did at Liverpool, I just can't see past that.

Ah yeah, but he won't be able to buy/sell players ;)

I know where you are coming from joker77, but he is a different manager now. And we wouldnt be able to get another manager with NEAR his experience.
    plus, he is one of Liverpools greatest ever players :)

And Des, i agree, the idiots who would have a problem with his appointment because of his connections to Rangers, should not even be nearly catered for. **** em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Who keeps voting for O'Leary?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's amazing what a job on RTE can do for your reputation. :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054884020

I'm actually a fan of Souness. There's something about Dowie though that I just think we should go for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cant help but feel a lot of the hate towards Souness may lie with his previous involvement with Rangers.

edit: souness shambolic time managing liverpool was at a time when he still had so much to learn in management, he admits himself now that he would do almost everything differently if he was to be able to go back in time. As for selling all the irish players/anti-irish buzz? dont be so ridiculous. says selling Duff was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made in management. the anti-irish thing is just something **** celtic fans like to bash him with. not true at all. married to an irish woman for christ sake.

(by **** celtic fans, i mean anti-rangers,jersey & track-suit merchants for all occassions who know nothing about football, but know all the lyrics to the wolfe tones greatest hits)

There was also still foreigner restrictions in Europe at the time .

In fairness Eirebhoy, most of the posts in that are nonsense :) this is a good one though!

Originally posted by Jivin-Turkey:

And lets think back those ten years

Two years with Galatasaray - Two 2nd place finishes and a cup win. Not bad.
    One year with Southampton - Safe going into the last day of the season for the first time in years, playing smashing football. Scoring loads of goals. Not bad.
    Torino for a few months - Bit of a weird scenario, left after only three months. Not good.
    Two years with Benfica - Two 2nd place finishes. Couldn't break Porto's monopoly. Not bad though.
    Four years with Blackburn - Brought from mid-table Div1 to European qualification through the league, an amazing achievment. He won a league cup too. Finished his spell badly unfortunately, but still a good job overall.
    One year with Newcastle - A team requiring surgery, poor league performance but distracted by two excellent cup runs (semis of both UEFA and FA). Not a great start to this year.

So in summary the only bad jobs he has done over the last ten years are Torino (for a few months) and.................actually that is all.

Newcastle did poorly in the league last year but he was trying to mould his team. They had two excellent cup runs and were in contention for Europe too until two players decided to go at each other on the pitch against Villa starting a run of 6 losses on the bounce.

This year Newcastle have been stuttering. Injuries have played a big factor, but it's blatantly obvious that some of the players are not good enough. Souness hasn't addressed this and has ultimately paid the price.

Still though, overall it is a bit much to say Newcastle are in disaray. They are in a much better position than they were when he took over. They have some cracking players. I bet once the new manager gets everyone fit that they will begin to do very well, just as I'd bet Souness would have done if he had a fit squad.

Souness was not the problem at Newcastle, it goes far far deeper. Which will probably be proven when Shepard goes and appoints SGE in the Summer.

Overall though you can't say Souness was great for them in fairness. He was hardly shocking though. So that makes two poor jobs out of six over a decade.

So yes I would consider his decade to be successful still Lemlin.

The above would seem to be confirm considering roeder and big sam are hardly setting the world alight! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote: »
    There's something about Dowie though .

The giant forehead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I absolutely despise Souness as a manager and I couldn't give a toss about Rangers or Celtic. The guy is an absolute joke.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The giant forehead?

Ha ha ha....very good

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement