Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'll officially hate football if he does take the job.

In fairness, I think there has beena huge decline in the quality of players, from a technical point of view, since the gap in developed and undeveloped countries widened. Blame the Playstation!!!

As such, I don't think Ireland are as far behind other countries as some would suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

great post eirebhoy....actually makes me quite hopeful again for the future and makes me even more sure that El Tel should not get the job! We'll not win the World Cup alright, but at least abject failure won;t be such a genuine fear

the speculation about Deschamps though is encoraging alright. Didn't he work for the French FA at one time, in Clairefontaine? If he did, hopefully he'll have the skills to take the best from our up and coming young players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

With Kevin Doyle being eyed by Chelsea and Hunt being rumoured for a big move the Irish team this time next year could have a very different complexion indeed - the makings of a decent squad. Lets hope we get a decent manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont think Doyle was really being eyed by Chelsea to be fair

Nor do I think, RE: Hunt, that Sunderland are a big team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

a lot of money has been put on Johnny Giles in the past 24 hours and the odds have gone way down on him. Apparently something is afoot in the wings of FAI headquarters or a secret hotel somewhere with an apparent announcment coming soom

psi wrote: »

Probably be in the championship next year in fairness, hardly the standard we want our internationals to be playing at week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I really do think that Grant had his eye on Doyle. The reason because it was reported in the English press. It was way too random. Like if someone like Michael Owen was mentioned then I would be like bull****, there is no reason why Chelsea would invest in a striker who can't actually stay fit.

neacy69 wrote: »
    a lot of money has been put on Johnny Giles in the past 24 hours and the odds have gone way down on him. Apparently something is afoot in the wings of FAI headquarters or a secret hotel somewhere with an apparent announcment coming soom

Until I see a hapless RTE reporter camped outside a random hotel for 12 hours, I won't believe the FAI are announcing anything.

• Advertisement

The camped outside made that comment hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Oh Noooooo....

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0111/venablest.html

Venables set to be panel's choice
    Friday, 11 January 2008 22:02

News broke at the Irish Football Writer's Awards dinner on Friday night that the three-man selection panel of Ray Houghton, Don Givens and Don Howe were set to recommend that Terry Venables be offered the vacant Republic of Ireland position.

An FAI board meeting is scheduled for 22 January and Venables could be installed then, but the FAI are refusing to comment on the story.

The awards took place at the Radisson Hotel, at Golden Lane in Dublin, where Paul Doolin of Drogheda United won the manager of the year award.

That is a joke. I hate you Venables. I hate you Terry Vanables. Houghton is a little swine, I hope I never see his face again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

psi wrote: »

lol! I did not say they were. What I said was he might be on the way to a bigger team then Reading. Dont think he would go down the pecking order tbh.

Chelsea are looking at Doyle according to recent news reports. Its easy to see why too. He has great ability and potential and is one of only a handful of strikers that can actually header a ball in the premiership left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

:( :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad:

The whole thing was simply a farce. From Delaney denying there was contact with Venables to Venables denying there was contact with the FAI. liars the lot of them. Bastards. Jesus I'm pissed off.

The funny thing is I just wrote a feature for my journalism class(I don't plan on becoming a journalist) about the calamity that is the FAI. A cliché perhaps, but they are a joke.

In the first paragraph, I say there is one thing that is for certain that the final decision will be a farce and that they will attempt to decieve the football public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

They wont be getting a cent of my money.. thats for sure.

To be honest I will support the team, but he better make us a good team playing good football. I think anything other than second(even if we don't qualify) is not good enough.

We have some very good players, in my opinion a greater bunch of players than a team like Bulgaria. It should be a two year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Trotter wrote: »
    They wont be getting a cent of my money.. thats for sure.

your supporting your country, not a group of people in suits man. im looking forward to next september and dont care who gets the job, anybody is better than that clown we had for the past 2 years. ill be at most, if not all of the games, home and away cos im expecting a decent campaign.

Paul Doolin should be brought in as number two so El Tel can 'groom' him.Lol.

As Dunphy pointed out during his rant why has he not been considered for the English job, ok perhaps that argument was a bit stupid, but has anyone seen Terry in the running for the vacant Newcastle job?

My problem with Venables is that he is an easy option. Someone like Houllier could have drastically changed the face of football in this country. I think he would have implemented his ideas and not been a lacky for others. As someone earlier mentioned he was involved with Clarefontaine, so all aspects of Irish football could have been improved significantly. This is not who the people want, I firmly believe it. A sad day.

DesF, this is what happened when the FAI ignore the fans. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

darkman2 wrote: »
    Chelsea are looking at Doyle according to recent news reports. Its easy to see why too. He has great ability and potential and is one of only a handful of strikers that can actually header a ball in the premiership left.
    Read that today in the Herald (was reading it while waiting in the Chinese :o ) Although the piece was about Villa looking to sign him but the quote was Doyle saying that he's flattered at all the speculation and that he thinks it'd be fantastic playing with the likes of Schevchenko. Just shows the standard of journalism tbh.

darkman2 wrote: »
    What I said was he might be on the way to a bigger team then Reading. Dont think he would go down the pecking order tbh.

Sunderland have a great chance of ending up in the Championship and they have a fairly clueless manager.

Reading are pretty much safe in the premiership and have, imo, one of the top managers outside the top4 in the league.

Hunt would be mad imo to move to Sunderland, move backwards, sideways at best.

As for Doyle/Chelsea?! come on people. Chelsea were in the market for a striker, cheap lazy journalists linked them to a young irish striker, they subsequently bought Anelka. Story over, quite simply i'd imagine it was a product of lazy,imaginative journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

neacy69 wrote: »

Not a chance of Giles getting it. Surely not?

He hasn't managed a team in donkey's years, and listening to him on RTE, while he's a decent analyst of games I'd say he's way out of touch with modern methods of coaching, preparation etc. Not qualified for the job at all.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    He hasn't managed a team in donkey's years, and listening to him on RTE, while he's a decent analyst of games I'd say he's way out of touch with modern methods of coaching, preparation etc. Not qualified for the job at all.
    Ehhhhh, it's not rocket science Bill, you just pick your best players.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I dunno, being a life long Spurs fan, I enjoyed the El Tel years and liked the football we played under him, I was pretty upset when Sugar got rid of him, so I'll be giving him a chance if he does get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

EDIT- I have no idea how or why a smiley yellow face appeared in my post title, as it is far from the opinion I am expressing.

Oh god :( I caught the last 30 seconds of a TV3 report which showed Venables and the word Exclusive on the top left and feared the worst (due to an agreement between me and the bird stipulating no watching sport tonight in return for no forceable watching of Big spastic Brother I didnt hear any of the comment properly :confused: Feared the worst though)

Having said that Im intrugied as to who released this info at the award ceremony, and why. It doesnt sound like it was via any official channel.

So, what to make? Of the prev available candidates, Id have rated Troussier, Hodgson and possibly Haan higher. We are probably better off with Tel than O`Leary (remember him?!!? He was nearly the only name for the first few days, then completely disappeared). Or any other ex Ireland failed manager/good player-experimental manager. But Im still doubtful.

Eirebhoy- in fairness football is all about denying the obvious. A few weeks back Alex McLeish apprently had no interest in the PL, 2 days later he is moving south. Yesterday Shearer didnt want Newcastle, today unamed close friends have revealed he is waiting for the offer. I could go on and on, bascally it seems a general rule is that the more something is denied the more likely it is to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just heard this now. I'm disgusted. He's a total con artist I reckon.

Would have preferred most of the other candidates rather than Tel Boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Shame on the FAI, Irish football ruined for another 2 years.

We really do have to stand up to this, we are being robbed.

With 1.5million euro we really could have brought a manager with some pedigree
    to the job rather than an old codger looking for some pension money.

I thought with the exit of stan we might see some change but no another failed manager to take charge.

Tis a flippint disgrace,...

Please tell me we are going to do something about this?????????

Perhaps my hatred for Venables has gone over peoples head, but I just want to look at this positively for a second. If we have to take Venables, then we must give him a chance. He took over an England team that had failed to qualify for the 94' world cup and brought a feel good factor back to England(I suspect) He got to the semi final losing on penaltys, yet Klinsman did the same and I think people would have been delighted with him.

My problem with Venables is it won't benefit all levels of Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm a fan of Venables's type of football, he's undoubtedly up-to-date on the game and having been around the block, he'll have the respect of the players. We could have done a lot worse - on paper, he's probably the most qualified manager we've ever had.

• Advertisement

Does he play good football? I can't really remember 96' to be honest, dont really remember anything about football before Juventus vs Dortmund. I know they always talk about the 4-1 drubbing of the Dutch.

In terms of football, my biggest concern is that he would adopt a long ball mentality. Hopefully he shakes up the set up in the Irish team. I don't want to see Don Givens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perhaps my hatred for Venables has gone over peoples head, but I just want to look at this positively for a second. If we have to take Venables, then we must give him a chance. He took over an England team that had failed to qualify for the 94' world cup and brought a feel good factor back to England(I suspect) He got to the semi final losing on penaltys, yet Klinsman did the same and I think people would have been delighted with him.

My problem with Venables is it won't benefit all levels of Irish football.

He did no such thing. Baddiel and feckin Skinner did more for the feel good factor than Venables.

They got to Euro 96 as hosts so El Tel didn't even have a qualifying campaign. There is no justification whatsoever if this appointment goes through.

That seemed like a real Dunphy reply to Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Where did they get that panel from anyway? Howe, as english as english can be with no links to Irish football. He was always gonna speak up for his old pal El Tel. Givens? He should stick with the u21s.

JæKæ wrote: »
    Where did they get that panel from anyway? Howe, as english as english can be with no links to Irish football. He was always gonna speak up for his old pal El Tel. Givens? He should stick with the u21s.
    That's probably the most important thing for Givens, he keeps his job. And Houghton, jesus he'd be a failure coaching U10s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I hope they considered the Stephen Ireland issue in regards to the whole thing. We know for a fact Givens isnt particularly interesed in that area mind. So, yis think Tel can lure him back? Do Tel and Sven have any type of friendship/contact yis think?

edit- what exactly is the RTE source for this anyway? Nobody got up on the mic and announced it afaik. Did one of the three lads have a few too many and told some journos? Neither sky sport nor BBC sport are reporting it so Im really wondering ewhere they got it from.

Aint been to the shops yet Im just up, is it all over every paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmm.

Wolves fans booing Big Mick today.

He could be on the way out of there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am just reading an interview with Paul Jewell.Wigan offered him a six-month contract worth £1.3million with a further £2m bonus if he succeeded in keeping Wigan up.

That's 125 grand a week,no wounder we had no chance of getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

JæKæ wrote: »

Was wondering about this myself. It's a bit of a random threesome in all honesty. Don Howe? Givens the stop-gap man? Houghton the crap tv pundit? What kind of recruitment dream-team is that?

Regardless of what happened or didn't happen at the awards thingy we already know that Venables is the favoured candidate of at least 2 of the 3 wise men- Houghton and Howe. I'm not sure about Givens, haven't heard anything from him. But it looks like it's Venables' job if he wants it.

Venables allegedly considered Middlesbrough too awkward a location to conduct his other business interests from, though I suppose the Ireland job isn't exactly a Monday-Friday gig so might suit him. If he's the best we can get we'll just have to let him at it and see what he can do. I wouldn't be too confident that he'll make a success of it though. Roy Hodgson was the man. Why wasn't he headhunted??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

FYI

Paddy Power have suspended betting on the ireland job.

Rumour ive heard and i say rumour cos thats all it is, is that dave o leary is now the forerunner for the job.

Paddy power will have the bet back in the morning

Remember you heard it here first!

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am just reading an interview with Paul Jewell.Wigan offered him a six-month contract worth £1.3million with a further £2m bonus if he succeeded in keeping Wigan up.

That's 125 grand a week,no wounder we had no chance of getting him.
    If he accepted the offer you might have a point. ;)

yayamark wrote: »
    FYI

Paddy Power have suspended betting on the ireland job.
    They suspend betting every night at about 10.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

eirebhoy wrote: »
    They suspend betting every night at about 10.30.

opps why do they do that?

They dont suspend other betting.

I suppose is it because news might break over night and paddy power could get caught big time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

eirebhoy wrote: »
    If he accepted the offer you might have a point. ;)

I no what you mean but the point I am making is what I can only assume is the huge gulf between the salary the FAI were offering and what Paul Jewell could expect to earn from a small premiership club.

I am not aware how much Jewell is on with Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

what i think we should do, is if every person in ireland gave a fiver (thats it, just a fiver) we could afford jose mourhino!! :D come on folks, lets make it happen!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DesF wrote: »
    Hmm.

Wolves fans booing Big Mick today.

He could be on the way out of there.

For the record I think McCarthy is well capable of managing us again. I'd worry that he wouldn't be given enough time though. Essentially, he wouldn't be starting the job with a clean slate - he'd have naysayers from day one and they'd be all over him after a few bad results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

gosplan wrote: »
    For the record I think McCarthy is well capable of managing us again. I'd worry that he wouldn't be given enough time though. Essentially, he wouldn't be starting the job with a clean slate - he'd have naysayers from day one and they'd be all over him after a few bad results.

Agreed. Give me McCarthy over that cowboy Venables any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Agreed. Give me McCarthy over that cowboy Venables any day.

although after the termoil and complete disrespect he was given after a string of bad european qualifying results, i dont think he would want the job again! the FAI will not give him the time he needs to completely rebuild....him or any other manager for that matter! which is why no one wants the damn job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Step forward John Delaney, and manage the team. I hear you're great. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

1000 posts and still no manager.... was the leaked news about el tel from the football writers convention thing confirmed by anyone or backed up in anyway?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement