Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

At this stage its starting to feel like the FAI and some Bookies are in on this together. A new name pops up every day from a "source" and massive betting goes on this new name and then nothing. :rolleyes::o:(

Anyone else get this feeling too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

ciaran76 wrote: »
    At this stage its starting to feel like the FAI and some Bookies are in on this together. A new name pops up every day from a "source" and massive betting goes on this new name and then nothing. :rolleyes::o:(

Was just thinking something similar, bizarre how many sure things for the job have cropped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ciaran76 wrote: »

It's the bookies that feed these rumours. I'd imagine they make an absolute fortune at times like this, and other times too! :D

It'd hilarious if the FAI were in cahoots though. Maybe they have an agreement with the bookies to make enough money so that they can get someone like Mourinho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone read these comments from Roy Keane. Interesting. (apologies if it's been mentioned already).
    "It's better than Big Brother, you just don't know what is going to happen.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it takes another three months! It's saving them money, isn't it? Why would they appoint somebody when they have no games? There would be uproar. John Delaney would be hung.

"Nothing surprises me with the FAI. They might approach me, you never know - they might get into a really bad situation.

"Somebody told me Deschamps had got it the other day. Not long ago Venables was supposed to have got it."

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/13/Int-Keane-on-Ireland-job/?facets/great-britain-locale/Rep-Ireland-FT/sport-space/

Looks like he's fed up with it and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Cheers for that. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't carre anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Let's watch the odds drop on him now. :rolleyes:

This is like a game at this stage.

How many more men are going to be linked with this job?

How long more is the FAI going to fiddle-faddle about?

How long does it take the "three man executive" to come up with a "short" list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

And to top it all off they are going to announce the appointment on the website FIRST.

FFS.

Can't believe whoever set up this poll didnt have Deschamps included lol

lol

If we're waiting on an update from the FAI website, it'll be in time for the qualifiers for the World Cup in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭secman

in the meantime the 3 stoogies are making the call on the fixture list, what a joke ! Today should have been the deadline, not next weeks board meeting, a shower of wasters.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

secman wrote: »
    in the meantime the 3 stoogies are making the call on the fixture list, what a joke ! Today should have been the deadline, not next weeks board meeting, a shower of wasters.

Secman

with croke part tied up for 4 of the days set aside for the games this year and early next,our hands are tied really.

in other words,it doesnt really matter who makes the call ,we dont have much to play with. Looks like Italy and Montenegro away first off. tough,but we have a tradition of starting with a tough away game anyway. Holland (& Portugal) ,Russia and Germany is how its panned out the last 3 times.

secman wrote: »

Secman
    Heard it was just Delaney, but as homerjay has just said, it doesn't really matter. And during the last campaign a favourable fixture list didn't exactly matter either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What do people think about Sanchez getting an interview? Personally I think it's great. At least he has experience working with a pool of players with limited ability. Easily a better option than Venables.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What do people think about Sanchez getting an interview?
    I don't know.

"pool of limited players" - Well, he had NI, then Fulham.

His most recent job was a failure, and he got sacked.

Easily a better option than Venables.
    Agreed, my long dead granny would be better than El Tel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

What do people think about Sanchez getting an interview? Personally I think it's great. At least he has experience working with a pool of players with limited ability. Easily a better option than Venables.

He has a track record at international level but has he got the right attitude? He jumped ship to fulham when the north still had a good chance of qualifying.

I think he's a better option than venables, but not by a hell of a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Q_Ball wrote: »
    He (sanchez) jumped ship to fulham when the north still had a good chance of qualifying.

Which is exactly why we should steer well clear of him.

Maybe he just wasn't cut out for the day to day hassle of being a Premier League manager and just thought 'feck it' and left. Not a great attitude admittedly but we do know he can cut it at international level which is all we should really be worried about. Our options are limited enough as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

A mate of mine was talking to a taxi driver at 4 o'clock yesterday morning who had a punter whose 1st cousin's brother in-law knows a lad that cleans the jacks at the FAI headquarter's and noticed a turd in one of the bogs that looked a lot like George Graham he's 80/1 Paddy Power putting my last 10k on it now, watch the odds tumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

patmac wrote: »
    A mate of mine was talking to a taxi driver at 4 o'clock yesterday morning who had a punter whose 1st cousin's brother in-law knows a lad that cleans the jacks at the FAI headquarter's and noticed a turd in one of the bogs that looked a lot like George Graham he's 80/1 Paddy Power putting my last 10k on it now, watch the odds tumble.

Not if I get my 10k on it first! Lost a bit of cash on Dalglish and Deschamps, chasing losses now but this sounds like a reliable tip. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonder will the fixtures be announced today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

from Rte.ie

Republic of Ireland World Cup Group Eight qualifying fixtures:
    Sep 6 v Georgia (a)
    Sep 10 v Montenegro (a)
    Oct 15 v Cyprus (h)
    Feb 11 v Georgia (h)
    Mar 28 v Bulgaria (h)
    Apr 1 v Italy (a)
    Jun 6 v Bulgaria (a)
    Sep 5 v Cyprus (a)
    Oct 10 v Italy (h)
    Oct 14 v Montenegro (h)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

according to bbc sport the FAI are going to interview laurie sanchez:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

prendy wrote: »
    Prendy you obviously haven't been following this story, the 3 man group setup by the FAI are interviewing EVERYONE that expressed an interest in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

prendy wrote: »
    The amount interviewed will be close to 20. Mick McCarthy has been interviewed. That should be more of a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think Sanchez being interviewd is a very positive development. It's a far better option than El Tel. He was unlucky at Fulham in my opinion and should have been given more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Just checked Paddy Power, Sanchez is 18-1 but I see Venables is favourite again at 5-4!

Interviews are a nonsense. What the hell is an interview going to tell you that a person's record won't.

Its quite frankly insulting to the candidate that they need to go through an interview and I had lots of respect for Joe Kinnear way back when he refused to interview for the Irish job.

Pick the best candidate, and offer it to him ffs.

Would be content enough with Sanchez. If he can guide a below average International team to respectability, surely he could guide an above averge team to the WC..................and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Agree with the interview scenario being a bit nonsensical alright.

I can just imagine Delaney and the boys sittin in an office in Merrion street, with Messrs Venables, Sanchez, Dalglish, Deschamps et al nervously waiting outside to be called in and going over their routine for why they are suited to the job and why they work well in team environments.

'Eh, Mr Sanchez. Yes, they are ready to see you now.'
    'Thank you Mr Venables, you can expect a call from our HR staff sometime next week.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

certainly prefer Sanchez to EL Tel, did a decent job with NI alright. Got they playing well as a unit without having any outstanding players.

Wasn't great at all with Fulham, difficult task there though anyways.

Compared to Deschamps though I know who I'd want, thought rumour has it that Deschamps has just flown into Newcastle for opening talks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

What are Steve Coppells odds?

and what will they be tomorrow?

Could be more rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What are Steve Coppells odds?

and what will they be tomorrow?

Could be more rubbish

Would be strange to see a manager leave a Premiership club to manage a country which is not his own.

Can't see that happening although I like Coppell a lot. I wonder if we'll have more of an idea who the manager will be by next week or will it still drag on?

surely he could guide an above averge team to the WC..................and beyond.
    What above average team has he been linked with though?

Not Ireland.

We can't even beat Cyprus.

Would be strange to see a manager leave a Premiership club to manage a country which is not his own.

Can't see that happening although I like Coppell a lot. I wonder if we'll have more of an idea who the manager will be by next week or will it still drag on?

Ah yes Steve Coppell. The man who walked out on City after a grand total of one month in charge cause he couldn't hack it. Still managed to get his mug on our calendar that year. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I see Johnny Giles is now 2nd fav with Paddypower at 4/1. I don't get much Irish news over here so just wondering if that is for real? Or is it just another red herring?
    I mean the man has a great footballing brain 'n all but he hasn't managed a team afaik in about 2 decades.

DesF wrote: »
    We can't even beat Cyprus.
    We beat them twice under McCarthy and twice under Kerr before Stan came along.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We beat them twice under McCarthy and twice under Kerr before Stan came along.

And? You are only as good as your most recent campaign.

England won the WC in '66, are they still the best team in the world?

And? You are only as good as your most recent campaign.
    According to who? :D You certainly can't judge a team that had one of the worst managers in history managing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Is there any word on Big Sam taking the job? I heard he declared an interest and I reckon he would fit the bill perfectly as the next ireland manager....

• Advertisement

According to who? :D
    Me. :D
    You certainly can't judge a team that had one of the worst managers in history managing them.
    I can judge the players, of course, and they aren't good enough to be considered an "above average" team.

We have one "world class" player, in Shay Given.

Dunne is a top defender, but his potential partners are mediocre to say the very least. And this will affect his game.

Finnan, decent enough, good experience, IF he plays in his position. He simply isn't a LB, if the next manager makes that kind of mistake, then we can write him off straightaway, imo.

We don't have a decent LB, who is up to it at international level.

Wingers? Meh, Duff hasn't performed in a green jersey since WC02, that's six years ago now. Hunty is a ledge, of course, but he needs to step up to the international level, and be able to start games.

I won't start on Mr Confidence. :)

Midfield. If the two Reids and Ireland can put in top perormances, for every game, then we might be ok in there. I can't see it though.

Strikers. Robbie just doesn't replicate his club form for the Irish team. Doyler, yeah he's ok. Apart from that, we are fairly thin on the ground, although I see Clint-on is back scoring in the Championship :rolleyes:

According to who? :D You certainly can't judge a team that had one of the worst managers in history managing them.
    You leave Stan alone! He was a record breaking manager. It's just unfortunate that the records he was breaking weren't the ones we were looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

luckylucky wrote: »
    I see Johnny Giles is now 2nd fav with Paddypower at 4/1. I don't get much Irish news over here so just wondering if that is for real? Or is it just another red herring?
    I mean the man has a great footballing brain 'n all but he hasn't managed a team afaik in about 2 decades.

A complete and utter red herring. Paddypower is a bookie, just trying to part mugs from their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Wingers? Meh, Duff hasn't performed in a green jersey since WC02, that's six years ago now. Hunty is a ledge, of course, but he needs to step up to the international level, and be able to start games.

Midfield. If the two Reids and Ireland can put in top perormances, for every game, then we might be ok in there. I can't see it though.

Strikers. Robbie just doesn't replicate his club form for the Irish team. Doyler, yeah he's ok. Apart from that, we are fairly thin on the ground, although I see Clint-on is back scoring in the Championship :rolleyes:

In fairness it was Stan who kept Hunt out of starts. And I can see a point to it, his late intro in the first Slovak game was a much needed boost and surprisingly didnt result in a goal, he was on fire. Stans failure to play him at all in Slovakia was what finally burnt his bridges with me.

Whats wrong with Morrison? If anything he performed better for Ireland than his clubs. Always had the feeling Stan didnt like him, iirc he only played in the Cyprus match. Yes, his family connection is tenous. No more tenous than most of the English born players tbh.

Des, are team is above average, but then I guess it is how you judge teams.

I think Ireland is up there with the second grade teams of Europe(Sweden, Poland, Serbia, Russia)

Accodring to World football Elo stats we are the 19th best team in Europe(this is after a horrible campaign), I would estimate us being closer to between 14 and 10.

We have a nice midfield, compared to other nations. We are as limited(or as good) as teams like Russia and Poland, its just they have had good managers.

Ireland
    S.Reid
    A.Reid
    Miller
    Hunt
    McGeady
    Duff
    Kilbane

Then you could add James McCarthy, who will probably joined a big team by next season. And Darren Gibson might develop, he will be old enough by 2010.

I'm not saying we are great, but above averge is a fair reflection in my opinion.

I can judge the players, of course, and they aren't good enough to be considered an "above average" team.
    At the same time we've definitely got better players than Poland who topped their group. Player for player I don't think there's any doubt we've our best squad of players since Charlton's days.

I think McCarthy (James) is more potential than anything else. We have alot of potential Darren Potter is another who could develop (Hunt is a late developer too).

The players are good enough to qualify for the EC and WC regularly, but we haven't been. The reasons are numerous, but really Mick McCarthy left us in a far better position than the subsequent results would have you believe :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

What has dave o leary been up to for the last year or 2?

Hes kept his head down

psi wrote: »
    I think McCarthy (James) is more potential than anything else.
    tbh for his type of player, if he has the intelligence and attitude to go with his technical ability then he's a lot more than potential imo. He certainly has the attitude and I guess he has the intelligence judging by the interest in him. I'd be very, very surprised if he fails tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We don't have a decent LB, who is up to it at international level.

See I don't understand this. International level is not that high unless you play one of the big countrys. All we expect is to give a credible performance in challenging for qualification. You don't just need the Patrice Evra's or Zambrotta's of this world to do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement