Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I could understand it if there were serious rumours of him getting the job but their aren't. He's getting backed at 1.52 now. Most bookies felt the need to close the book. The only manager getting backed this heavily was Venables when RTE pretty much announced he had the job.

A lot of the money going on Houllier could be from Paddy Power if they're laying him heavily. They won't want to leave themselves too exposed as the only bookies taking bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This could be it folks.

Houiller into 2/5 on PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

oh the excitement

This is certainly the most suspicious push in the odds since October. I'd be very, very, very surprised if something wasn't up between Houllier and the FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy, you're killing me with the anticipation.

You better be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It kinda upsets me that there was a time when boards.ie actually got a scoop on the new manager.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054871619

but with all the crap people are pulling here, I'm as likely to lock this thread as let people dick about.

psi wrote: »
    I'm as likely to lock this thread as let people dick about.
    Lock the thread?

Come on now, that's a bit drastic...

DesF wrote: »
    Lock the thread?

Come on now, that's a bit drastic...

Sorry I meant lock a thread (the Deschamps one for example). The Staunton thread I linked was separate from the main manager thread at the time.

1.44 now on Betfair. The lowest odds yet since the market opened. 1/3 with PP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

omgomgomgomgomgomg

Sorry I meant lock a thread (the Deschamps one for example). The Staunton thread I linked was separate from the main manager thread at the time.
    Ah, I getchya, I wasn't around for that Stan thread you linked, I was living it up on the Sydney Beaches:D

Thanks Christ, I probably would have been permabanned form Soccer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

No No No, i had hoped that this thread wouldent get my hopes up again but Houllier! yes please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not getting my hopes up

We still have Venables in the bag untill officially announced

Unearthly wrote: »
    Not getting my hopes up

We still have Venables in the bag untill officially announced

6/1 on BF! I reckon its a perfect time to get him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I'm not getting my hopes up again. Until I see Gerard at a Press Conference I'm not buying this, not even if John Delaney announces it himself.....J/K

• Advertisement

could the bookies (or someone else) be simultaneously backing and laying to generate movement and interest in order to lay Houllier?

I'm not sure if its possible or if there are standards and practices against it.

could the bookies (or someone else) be simultaneously backing and laying to generate movement and interest in order to lay Houllier?

I'm not sure if its possible or if there are standards and practices against it.

Yoyoing out and in now.

Looks sooooo fishy.

Probably just people playing with money, probably has nothing to do with the actual job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

On betfair people are still laying Houiller heavly, in my opinon this means that this is just another run around created by the bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

ya on betfair someone could possible put say 2000 on whoever then others see the big money going on and get on board as well,then the original beter can lay for say 5000 hence 3000 profit as long as ur man doesnt get the job.
    its seroiusly fishy whats going on:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Can't find it now on PP. Have they closed the book?

• Advertisement

They close the betting every night at 10:30

Oh right.....

From Noelys Guitar on foot.ie:

"Houllier is going to be interviewed tonight on Fox soccer so I will see if he has anything to say about the managers job."

---

"Fox soccer are doing a 2 hour programme starting at 1am Irish time. Houllier is going to be on for about 10 mins sometime in the first hour. Steve McClaren and Roy Millar of the IFA will also be on. I'll be surprised if Houllier is not asked about the Ireland job as one of the Fox reporters is Keith Costigan (ex Luton) from Dublin."

---

"All filming was done earlier today. That was my initial suspicion when I saw all the money going on Houllier. Its at events like this that people open up. A couple of glasses of vino and Gerard spills the beans!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm not getting my hopes up again. Until I see Gerard at a Press Conference I'm not buying this, not even if John Delaney announces it himself.....J/K

Can't see him wanting the job unless the money is exceptional, bigger jobs out there fo him imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Nunu wrote: »
    I hate posting this but for what it's worth I got a tip on Monday that Houllier was going to be offered the job. I was told it was a sure thing and the primary source was from within the FAI ..I was told by the secondary source.

I don't believe it and have put no money on it..

Thank god. If you hadnt included that last line I was about to be barred from Soccer for directing personal abuse at you :p

I could give two sh1tes how much various twats around the country have put on x and y being manager based on what some wanker down the pub told them, I wouldnt read into any of it. Although illegal, some of these bets have probably been put on by mates of the bookies in order to hype up a buzz.

As the oul fella always said the only men who got rich through gambling were Paddy Power and William Hill. Mugs game. And if I were to bet, I have seen absoloutely nothing to suggest there is any possibility other than El Tel, unless they take Sanchez (Id rather him, and Id say his pay rate would be lower, which would be a plus for the FAI)

*Contemplates sharing information regarding managers job*

Ok well I am willing to face the wrath of fellow Boardsters, so here I go.

Sick and tired with all the false dawns today, I took it upon myself to send a 12 page dossier to the FAI, which basically contained me telling the FAI to tell me who the **** the new manager is? Needless to say at 8.30 pm, an e-mail directly from FAI hq informed me that as we speak John is in Poland just sorting out the little nukes and crannys with 'Leo'.

Take that how you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

*Contemplates sharing information regarding managers job*

Ok well I am willing to face the wrath of fellow Boardsters, so here I go.

Sick and tired with all the false dawns today, I took it upon myself to send a 12 page dossier to the FAI, which basically contained me telling the FAI to tell me who the **** the new manager is? Needless to say at 8.30 pm, an e-mail directly from FAI hq informed me that as we speak John is in Poland just sorting out the little nukes and crannys with 'Leo'.

Take that how you will.

Leo is probably the name of Venable's accountant. :)

Hhahaha.....smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Leo? Is that the name of that Celtic Tiger everyone's been talking about?!

Oh wait, thats a lion...Like the LINE that Delaney's been playin for the last few years.

I'm sick of the incompetence. I'd rather have an Official 1997 Mitre football stuck up me H/Goal than put up with an accountant deciding on our future as a soccer force.

Loyalty to one's country is everlasting.

But how long is "forever"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've decided to start an early morning 'breaking news' rumour that Kevin Keegan will be approached by the FAI today with the hope of him splitting his time between the Newcastle and Ireland jobs. Gonna text it to a few people. At least one is bound to take it seriously in their semi-awake state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

in the usual inaccurate rumour of the morning today fm said the fai will be finalising venables contract this weekend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Does anybody else think that maybe don givens is taken his time as he wants to manage Ireland against Brazil at Croke Park...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dub13 wrote: »
    Does anybody else think that maybe don givens is taken his time as he wants to manage Ireland against Brazil at Croke Park...?
    No, not at all. AFAIK the comittaay have to tell Delaney their preferred candidate by next Tuesday.

I really don't see the point of all these interviews. I thought the point of getting "Football People" to make the appointment was because they'd actually have some knowledge of potential candidates' careers?

What type of questions have they been asking?

3 Wise Men: "So, Candidate No.1, where do you see yourself in 2 years time?"

Candidate No. 1: "Being used as a scapegoat so that John Delaney can keep his job."

They should've just head hunted who they thought would be suitable and then offered the job to that person.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No, not at all. AFAIK the comittaay have to tell Delaney their preferred candidate by next Tuesday.

I don't think that's quite true either. I think the 3 man panel are expected to have a candidate in place and will be ratified at the FAI board meeting next Tuesday. So from next Tuesday onwards, the new man will be on the FAI payroll so to speak. I'm open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

flanzer wrote: »
    I don't think that's quite true either. I think the 3 man panel are expected to have a candidate in place and will be ratified at the FAI board meeting next Tuesday. So from next Tuesday onwards, the new man will be on the FAI payroll so to speak. I'm open to correction though

okey doke.

Btw have you ever heard word back from the chain of mates of mates of mates from the FAI as to where the crap about Deschamps came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

flanzer wrote: »
    Fair enough, must of heard it wrong so. I just heard Tuesday, Announcement, FAI, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

jean tigana newest name thrown into the ring, get hilarious at this stage IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

maybe "leo" is leo the lion, the leinster rugby mascot! im puttin money on him now!!

I assume Leo refers to the rather brilliant Polish national manager who took an average Polish side to EC2008. I can't see him leaving Poland for us considering they're in the finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Is this still due to be announced on the 22/01/2008??

Thats what the date given from RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leo Beenhakker would be a sound choice, he's done well with modest raw materials a few times.

Mike.

Houiller is still highly tipped.

250k matched on him while El Tel has been favourite for some time only 200k matched on him.

Houiller is still highly tipped.

250k matched on him while El Tel has been favourite for some time only 200k matched on him.
    That's sterling I presume.

Gerard Houllier - €367,003
    Terry Venables - €273,969
    John Giles - €79,339
    Didier Deschamps - €62,946
    David O'Leary - €48,200
    Liam Brady - €35,677
    Kenny Dalglish - €17,398
    Sam Allardyce - €12,309
    Mick McCarthy - €10,359
    Glenn Hoddle - €9,416
    Lawrie Sanchez - €7,746
    Steve Coppell - €6,518
    Graeme Souness - €4,487
    Jean Tigana - €2,248
    Chris Coleman - €2,479
    Arie Hann - €1,154
    Roy Keane - €850

and many more. Total €984,254 with Houllier still odds on.

I've seen quite a few independent references to a Giles/Brady duo - one source is former NI international Gerry Armstrong.

I'd be "astounded" if there was anything behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

chris coleman, jesus somebody must have had to waste money like on brewsters millions

• Advertisement

Myself, PHB, kdjacl and T4TF were approached by the FAI trio last night.
    We refused an interview.

We haven't had an inside tip for a few days now

What the hell is going on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unearthly wrote: »
    We haven't had an inside tip for a few days now

What the hell is going on?!

My mates cousins best friends daughter's hairdresser swears she saw Lippi in Dublin! Apparently he's also enrolled in English classes and has bought a little green coat with some shamrock on it for his dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Nobody will impress them so they'll appoint themselves as the dream team

Do the FAI care one bit about the U21's? Givens doesnt seem to be liked at all by the players and theres always somebody dropping out of the squad after a row with him. And he's still going to be the U21 manager as the manager he recommends is hardly going to sack him.

Suprised paddypower dont have odds for Givens, someone was bound to put money on him for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

John Giles is 5-2 on PP this morning, are they plucking odd out of the air or what? I dont see how someone can go from 'sounding out' candiates to actually being one himself. Are we that desperate for a new man?

Also just wondering with the Brazil game just over 2 weeks away, it is hard to see the FAI having their man in place, in time to at least pick his own squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement