Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

No lads from Cork on the team then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Heard it on the radio in the shop a few hours ago- Givens is in charge for Brazil. Its in the sunday world too. Still no manager 4 months on.

I thought that Irish Indo "predictions" article was hilarious.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/crystal-ball-1256210.html

It seems to be playing out quite realistically tbh.

I expect a 5.30 pm on Tuesday, to see Gerard's name in lights on the FAI website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Interesting Article...
    todaysIndo wrote:
    Given frustrated at manager delay

By DION FANNING
    Sunday January 20 2008

Ireland should have appointed a manager in time for last week's fixture meeting, Shay Given has said, as it becomes clear that there is growing unease among senior players at the length of time the FAI are taking to appoint a successor to Steve Staunton.

With suggestions that Tuesday's Board of Management meeting will contain only a progress report, and stories that candidates are having interviews scheduled for 10 days' time, several players are said to be becoming frustrated at the delay.

It is now believed that there is a 60 per cent chance of a name being presented at Tuesday's meeting. If it is, that name is still expected to be Terry Venables. "I thought it would have been done by now," said Given. "The World Cup games were decided the other day, so I really felt the manager should have been in charge for that. That's not been the case for whatever reason, we don't know, but the sooner we get him in, the better.''

It is understood that many of the senior players are encouraged by the possibility of working with Terry Venables and had hoped he would be in place for the Brazil game on February 6.

Don Givens is set to name a squad for that game on Thursday and will act as caretaker if a manager is not appointed, a situation complicated by his duties with the U-21s who play England the night before.

While Venables is still the favourite, there is said to be a strong push in favour of Gerard Houllier from one member of the selection committee, although the former Liverpool manager is believed to have told friends he is cooling on the idea of managing Ireland.

There has been no official contact between Houllier and the three-man panel but they were made aware of his plans for the job which include bringing his former assistant at Liverpool, Phil Thompson, along as his number two. It is unlikely that there would be a role for his friend Brian Kerr in the management team.

While that would please sections within the FAI, the association may be put off by his wage demands and the need to pay €2m compensation to the French Football Federation. Houllier is paid €1.6m a year as technical director.

Last week, a spokesman for the FFF said they would not stand in Houllier's way if he wanted to return to management, but that was when he was being heavily linked with the Newcastle position.

There is a clause in Houllier's contract which allows him to return to club management in England without the need for compensation. That would not apply in Ireland's case.

Faced with a package of more than €5m, there may be some opposition to Houllier and it is likely that Venables will eventually be appointed, but possibly not this week.

dbnavan wrote: »

It is now believed that there is a 60 per cent chance of a name being presented at Tuesday's meeting. If it is, that name is still expected to be Terry Venables.
    Don Givens is set to name a squad for that game on Thursday and will act as caretaker if a manager is not appointed, a situation complicated by his duties with the U-21s who play England the night before.
    [/QUOTE]

Mother of christ.

I have absoloutely no doubt we would still be between managers if Stan had been sacked 4 months before the next qualifier.

Where is this 60% figure from anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i thinkn its an absoolute joke that givens will be in charge for the brazil game, delay-ney and the rest of the "decision making team" havnt a clue what they are doing! the brazil game would have been a great starting point for a new irish manager....but NO the FAI cant see that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Houllier rules himself out although no direct quotes. Looks like Hoddle is the biggest mover today with the bookies.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3066467,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

this is getting funnier every day, Venables would be bad enough, but they'll somehow pick someone every worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's an absolute joke at this stage. Bunch of donkeys.

delay-ney will probably name himself the manager! (to cut costs) come on this is beyond a joke by this stage, england fured their manager, got a new qualified one, and he learnt how to speak english and we are still looking?! ffs!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

delay-ney will probably name himself the manager! (to cut costs) come on this is beyond a joke by this stage, england fured their manager, got a new qualified one, and he learnt how to speak english and we are still looking?! ffs!!

The reason it's taking so long is because the panel have so many suitable CVs to sift through :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And Scotland lost their manager a couple of weeks after we sacked our and they are haven't appointed anyone either. Also, Wales STILL have Toshack in charge.

Looks like Hoddle is the biggest mover today with the bookies.

[]

Oh ffs, not another one.

I cant believe people are using gambling patterns to deduce who (other than El Tel) is a likely candidate. I still say its Tel. We might get lucky and get Sanchez. Anyone involved in the Deschamps rumour should be shot tbh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Houllier's still the favourite. Over €70k put on him today on Betfair.

Houllier quick to dismiss speculation but he's obviously keeping track of the situation:
    http://media.putfile.com/Houllier-on-Ireland-link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Newcastle got keegan back so we shud get Jackie charlton back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Newcastle got keegan back so we shud get Jackie charlton back :D
    Or maybe we could turn the clock back even further and give Giles another go! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Giles, Dunphy and Brady. With O'Herrlihy as the kit man.

That would be the dream team. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Houllier's still the favourite. Over €70k put on him today on Betfair.

Houllier quick to dismiss speculation but he's obviously keeping track of the situation:
    http://media.putfile.com/Houllier-on-Ireland-link
    Listening to that it would put more confidence in me that he could take the job, didnt say no, just commented on the farcical situation.

Listening to that it would put more confidence in me that he could take the job, didnt say no, just commented on the farcical situation.
    Do you really think the FAI would splash out the reported €5m compensation to the FF to get Houllier? I dont.
    Mad Max wrote:
    Giles, Dunphy and Brady. With O'Herrlihy as the kit man.

That would be the dream team. :D

Ah but then we would have no one to entertain us at half time, although the presss conferences after the games would be interesting! :)

• Advertisement

Delaney was asked about compensation and he said it wouldn't be a problem. They've no doubt enquired about that.

Delaney was asked about compensation and he said it wouldn't be a problem. They've no doubt enquired about that.
    Delaney said we would be getting a world class manager 2 years ago and we got Stan so forgive me if im abit skeptical. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I havent kept up over the weekend, who's the odds on favourite today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Houiller @ 2.84 despite rumour he has ruled himself out.

Venables @ 4.1

Giles @ 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Look what else Mr. Delaney has said.
    John Delaney, Republic of Ireland (chief executive):
    "We've got Cyprus for the third time in a row but from our perspective, although we are the third seed in the group, we'll be going for the play-offs. A number of people have contacted us saying they would like to have the job [of manager]. There is certainly a greater level of interest this time than last. We've got a better squad now than 18 months ago, a better playing pool. Secondly we are in a better financial position this time round and are prepared to put more money on the table."
    Two things of note. He says he's gonna be paying more money and that we are looking to fight for a place in the playoffs.

Now granted that realistically we should be heading for a playoff place but you don't need the head of your football association publicly giving up on any chance of topping the group before agame is even played.

Delaney said we would be getting a world class manager 2 years ago and we got Stan so forgive me if im abit skeptical. :)

careful now, he said we would get a world class management team that why bobby was brought in, gave us a big name with experience, too bad he realised what a mountain he had to climb which gave him loads of heart attacks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

well i hope liam brady gets it, nothing to do with me falling for one of the "cert" tips. best man for the job as fair as im concerned!

ok but in all seriousness, whens it being announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Houiller @ 2.84 despite rumour he has ruled himself out.

Venables @ 4.1

Giles @ 9

I hate decimal odds!

Is there any formula for converting to fractions? I know there are converters, but say someone was shtuck like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

World Cup winner Rainer Bonhof didn't even get a pfo from the FAI

Here's the story

Makes you wonder, No?

Anyone else watching Mike Bassett England manager?

FA Chairman to Mike

"And you have your own company car. Petrol is paid for, if you keep receipts. But no funny business, that Venables fellow was trying to get us to pay for his trips to the supermarket"

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

shane86 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching Mike Bassett England manager?

FA Chairman to Mike

"And you have your own company car. Petrol is paid for, if you keep receipts. But no funny business, that Venables fellow was trying to get us to pay for his trips to the supermarket"

:D:D

ha ha - hilarious wasn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

World Cup winner Rainer Bonhof didn't even get a pfo from the FAI

Here's the story

Makes you wonder, No?

That's a ****ing disgrace:mad:.
    He was well worthy of, at least, an interview. I'd take him in a heartbeat over most of the other candidates.
    He did fabulous job with Scotland U-21's when Berti Vogts was in charge of the full team. Excellent manager and was a world class player.

Does anyone expect the appointment to be made tommorow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Does anyone expect the appointment to be made tommorow?

Nah too early

The qualifiers aren't till September, why pay the manager for those months ;)

Ah sure Cyprus, Georgia...fecking Montenegro....why not just wait until the Italy game?

kraggy wrote: »
    I hate decimal odds!

Is there any formula for converting to fractions? I know there are converters, but say someone was shtuck like.

4.1 = 3.1/1 etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Lads I had a dream last night it's gonna be Brady!! I dread the fúcking thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

flanzer wrote: »
    Lads I had a dream last night it's gonna be Brady!! I dread the fúcking thought!

I'm with you there. I can't actually understand why he has support:confused: Look at what he did at Celtic, and was it Burnley he managed also? Now he's part of the Arsenal youth setup. I mean, come on!! Watching him as a pundit, I couldn't imagine him as a great motivator. One of our all time greats, but our next manager? Please don't let it be so.

Of all the names floating about, I have to say Mick McCarthy is the only one that fits the bill for me. He's got experience and would obviously be passionate about the job. People like venables or even Deschamps, you just worry they'd walk away the moment a 'good' job became available. I really don't want Ireland to be in Scotlands boat. Build up the nation, then walk away. We need someone who not only has the credentials, but who has the passion for the job to stick around for the long haul. My 2 cent anyway.

JimiTime wrote: »
    . People like venables or even Deschamps, you just worry they'd walk away the moment a 'good' job became available.

There's no chance of Venables walking as he wouldn't get a top job anywhere. With all the Premiership managerial merry go rounds since Engerland sacked him, he hasn't even been mentioned for any of the jobs. If he doesn't get the Ireland job, he'll be back doing the CL coverage on ITV before we know it!

I don't think that's quite true either. I think the 3 man panel are expected to have a candidate in place and will be ratified at the FAI board meeting next Tuesday. So from next Tuesday onwards, the new man will be on the FAI payroll so to speak. I'm open to correction though
    Apparently that's not the case. The 3 man panel are just giving the FAI a progress report today.

My theory was the case a number of weeks ago but in typical fashion, the FAI and their 3 man panel c0cked up yet again and we won;t be finding out who the manager is tonight

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    I hate decimal odds!

Why convert them? If you want to find out how much you'd get back from €5 on 11/8 you'd have to divide by 8, multiply by 11 and add your €5 stake. Decimal odds do those crappy sums for you. Multiply the stake by the odds and you get your winnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

There's no chance of Venables walking as he wouldn't get a top job anywhere. With all the Premiership managerial merry go rounds since Engerland sacked him, he hasn't even been mentioned for any of the jobs. If he doesn't get the Ireland job, he'll be back doing the CL coverage on ITV before we know it!

Also, if he sticks around till he's sacked, there'll be a healthy pay off.

Why convert them? If you want to find out how much you'd get back from €5 on 11/8 you'd have to divide by 8, multiply by 11 and add your €5 stake. Decimal odds do those crappy sums for you. Multiply the stake by the odds and you get your winnings.
    Or divide the 11 by 8 and then multiply that number by 5 and then add your original stake.

With regards to Decimal odds, if the 11/8 was shown as a decimal would it be just 1.375? Or do you have to add a factor for the original stake to it?

11/8 + 1 = 2.375. It just means that you don't have to add your stake to the total after the multiplication.

Anyway, just to keep it on topic, Houllier is still favourite. 8/5 in decimals. ;)

Anyway, just to keep it on topic, Houllier is still favourite. 8/5 in decimals. ;)
    Surely you mean 2.6? :D

i dont neccesarily think brady should get it (although i hope he does, coz i backed him) - but the argument i could see in his favour would be -
    As opposed to how everyone talks of what venables has done 10years ago - lets dismiss this and go with his current form . . . which in el tels case is terrible

Brady had "a stab" at management, and then swallowed humble pie as he took a step back to being the head of the arsenal youths. The amount of youth talent that has been coming through arsenal over the last number of years has allowed arsenal to sell some of their main players, fund the stadium, and bring some talented youth players through. Fair enough alot of these players have been bought at the 17-19 age, and as such Brady wouldnt be able to get as much credit.
    There hasnt been an influx of youth players through since fergies fledglings, and so the amount of youth players that come through arsenal - whether at the club for short periods or a number of years has certainly been to the credit of Liam Brady.

Does this mean he is good enough to be Irish manager? well possibly not. But we must remember that there is a reason nobody of stature wants the job, its a hard thankless job. I think what brady learned from the master Wenger, coupled with the meticulous preparation and constant adaption to the modern improvements in the game that would be needed to succesfully complete the role he held, he may just be an improved version of Brian Kerr

(all in my opinion of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ideally i'd definately like Brady involved, as assistant to another manager with more 1st team experience. Who that could be at this stage is a mystery though. Still praying for Houllier however unlikely it now looks. I still think Venebles could do a decent job IF he takes it seriously, I'm just not optimistic that he would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Brady didn't do as badly as people think. You have to remember that the Celtic that Brady managed wasn't even close to the club that exists now. Boardroom issues, financial difficulty and instability were hallmarks of his time there.

wasnt there supposed to be some sort of announcement today?! ffs this is £uckin rediculous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

progrees report of some sort I think...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement