Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Q_Ball wrote: »
    lol, he's already got the job according to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Trapattoni

Jezus, how the hell did they update that so quick.

He's dropped back to 10/11 with Paddypower.

I'm getting confussed :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Skysportsnews report stuff like this every so often and then never ever mention it again

I remember they reported that Man Utd had signed Ravenelli one year and Davids another year and a few hours later there was no such news reports and never mentioned/apologised for the stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

luckylucky wrote: »
    Jezus, how the hell did they update that so quick.

He's dropped back to 10/11 with Paddypower.

I'm getting confussed :confused:

Can't Wikipedia contents be updated by anyone?? Thought I read that somewhere?? Maybe some mischeivous(sp?) f**ker edited it????

there was no mention of Ireland on his wikipedia after Q_Ball posted that, somebody doesnt like to see his wiki vandalised!

Can't Wikipedia contents be updated by anyone?? Thought I read that somewhere?? Maybe some mischeivous(sp?) f**ker edited it????

didn't realise that just anyone could update it. If that's the case then yeah some mischevious so and so could have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Steve Stauntons and John Delaneys wiki's were destroyed regularly last year:D

Guys

Look at that wikipedia entry again. It says that Staunton has replaced Trapatoni at his old club!!!:rolleyes:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Trapattoni#Als_Trainer

This is obviously some f**kin idiot playin a prank. According to the German version of Wiki, there is NO ENTRY saying that he is the new Irish manager.

EDIT:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3090862,00.html

JAYSUS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It would be a great coup and a fine decision, showing foresight and bravery to get him in. We'll get Terry Venables.

It would be a great coup and a fine decision, showing foresight and bravery to get him in. We'll get Terry Venables.

ROFL at your second sentence.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Apparently the FAI say they are unaware of any contact with GT.

Sounds like another bright red herring.

• Advertisement

psi wrote: »
    Apparently the FAI say they are unaware of any contact with GT.

Sounds like another bright red herring.

The FAI would say that to attempt to detract the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Like Everything I See Or Read On Sky News Or A Tabloid Newspaper:

i'll Believe It When The Bbc / Rte / Times Says So.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Skysportsnews report stuff like this every so often and then never ever mention it again

I remember they reported that Man Utd had signed Ravenelli one year and Davids another year and a few hours later there was no such news reports and never mentioned/apologised for the stories.
    I don't know about that. People get easily mixed up. First of all, Sky Sports News isn't the website. Secondly, and where most of the mix ups come from, they do a rumour mill thing in the mornings. The report what's in the papers. I don't know how many times I've seen on Celtic forums "SSN say we're going to sign so and so" because of their rumour. They're certainly as reliable as the BBC website.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Like Everything I See Or Read On Sky News Or A Tabloid Newspaper:

i'll Believe It When The Bbc / Rte / Times Says So.

The Nine O Clock News has just begun on RTE, so they may have something to report..................?

EDIT: The news is just finishing up, and there's no mention of this story.........? I smell bulls**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

i posted something similar on gambling forum
    this is the 5-6th time something like this is happened ie some outsider gets backed in then venebals price drifts out, some serious manipulation of market going on here. venebals back in favourite again on betfair the ammount of money that will be won when/if he gets the job will be unreal

sky mentioning trap just meant more money as put on

scaramanga wrote: »
    this is the 5-6th time something like this is happened ie some outsider gets backed in then venebals price drifts out, some serious manipulation of market going on here. venebals back in favourite again on betfair the ammount of money that will be won when/if he gets the job will be unreal

Some a***hole is up to mischief. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

scaramanga wrote: »

Maybe it's Venables, he's laying them all cos he knows he has the job ;)

:D.

Some a***hole is up to mischief. :mad:
    a**holes that are about to make a lot of money:(

• Advertisement

in cohouts with the fai they have saved 4 months wages already;)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I don't know about that. People get easily mixed up. First of all, Sky Sports News isn't the website. Secondly, and where most of the mix ups come from, they do a rumour mill thing in the mornings. The report what's in the papers. I don't know how many times I've seen on Celtic forums "SSN say we're going to sign so and so" because of their rumour. They're certainly as reliable as the BBC website.

well those were the days when sky sports news was the half hour or so show each day at 6.00pm on sky sports (or maybe it was the sports news on sky news, anyways it's over 10yrs ago now) and before everybody was using the internet a lot. So you'd take it to be the truth back then (I didnt even have teletext on my tv then). There was no such thing as rumour mills in the main part of the sports news or whats in the papers today. All i know is Ravenelli or Davids didnt sign for Utd and Sky never mentioned it again!

Trappatoni out to 3 to 1 now on betfair. It certainly does seem glaringly obvious that some group are manipulating the market. Just wondering if that's a criminal offence?

luckylucky wrote: »
    Trappatoni out to 3 to 1 now on betfair. It certainly does seem glaringly obvious that some group are manipulating the market. Just wondering if that's a criminal offence?
    unless is coming form the organisation(fai in this case) itself no, very hard to prove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Jaysus.... from the money the bookies have made so far from this managerial hunt, they should be obliged to contribute to the wages of the new guy. that we'd probably be able to afford the likes of Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm about to ask a stupid Q. Please dont laugh!

But where does it say that your manager has to be a male?

*not that I want a woman manager, nor do i think a man can do a better job than a woman - Please dont shoot me*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jameshayes wrote: »
    But where does it say that your manager has to be a male?
    It doesn't say it anywhere, but can you name any woman that's qualified to take the job?

Acutally, why am I even replying to this question. Silly, silly question.

Mary Harney

Joan of Arc

Jonathan Ross

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Acutally, why am I even replying to this question. Silly, silly question.

On a serious note I'm sure someone said that when a female president was suggested, or allowing a woman to vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I missed all of this yesterday and went back to where i last read so just got to experience the massive high of thinking we might actually get a decent manager and then the massive low of realising, no, in fact we won't.

I really hate those FAI statements where they say "no we've not contacted so and so". Well Why the fck not lads?!

I was really warming to the idea of Trapp and all :(

Any chance we could start a compaign to get him installed? maybe sending loads of fan mail to him, as well as demands to the FAI to contact him.

hmmm

• Advertisement

On a serious note I'm sure someone said that when a female president was suggested, or allowing a woman to vote.

? not really. For president for example, the woman candidate can have just the same experience as the man. When the women's game rises enough in quality to have parity with the mens, or a female coach rises through the ranks of the higher level leagues achieving some success, then it would become a possibility.

To be honest its about as ridiculous, slightly moreso, as appointing Staunton was (i.e someone grossly underqualified, though at least he ha dthe experience of playing at the top levels), and we know how that one turned out.

And on the voting thing? Whats the comparison? Theres no law disallowing women managers so this is irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I missed all of this yesterday and went back to where i last read so just got to experience the massive high of thinking we might actually get a decent manager and then the massive low of realising, no, in fact we won't
    And what a high it was :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'm about to ask a stupid Q. Please dont laugh!

But where does it say that your manager has to be a male?[/SIZE]

:D:D:D...woman have no place in top flight football,as the great Mike Newell once said..."She shouldn't be here. I know that sounds sexist but I am sexist. This is not park football, so what are women doing here?
    ''It is tokenism - for the politically-correct idiots.’’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Scaramanga, when I see your avatar I keep thinking "jaysus did i post here last night?" :D

As for the Trapatoni rumour, I have a feeling we will still be here in April getting leaked news that x y and z has been interviewed for the still vacant job.

Has there ever been a female manager anywhere? That cook off tv whois name escapes me is chairman or Norwich or something no? Or a big shareholder at least.

I'm not trying to stur the pot or anything, I was in a college discussion regarding equal oppetunities and this question arrose - could the FAI pick a female.

Again, male or female doesn't bother me as long as they get the job done.

I'm not interested in womens football but i'm sure there is some top class managers out there.

I'm not trying to stur the pot or anything, I was in a college discussion regarding equal oppetunities and this question arrose - could the FAI pick a female.

Nothing is stopping them as such but the fact remains that not one woman in the world would even be remotely close to been qualified for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭secman

All joking aside, what are they up to, all we get is bumf from Delaney, in the name of God how difficult is it to appoint a manager ?. Since Staunton has gone, think of all the appointments at Eircom Leage clubs, Prem , Nationwide, International ones, bleeden loads of appointments. We are over complicating this big time. Delaney is like a kid in a sweet shop, can't make his mind up. too many options........... whereas if they simply went after someone , no that would be too easy.

As i,ve said before they would complicate boiling an egg ! We have missed the deadline for picking the match dates, looking like no manager in for our first friendly, we need a manager in now to pick further friendlies, players are getting uneasy, some retiring. This should have been prioritised, the 3 wise men are clearly not primarily pursuing this, we constantly read about their other commitments and that includes Delaney. Stop this dithering now.

Rant over !!!!

Secman

secman wrote: »
    Delaney is like a kid in a sweet shop, can't make his mind up. too many options........... whereas if they simply went after someone , no that would be too easy.
    Delaney isn't dithering, he's just covering his áss for when/if the appointment goes tits up.

We have missed the deadline for picking the match dates
    Doesn't really matter as the dates picked themselves due to the situation with Croke Park.

players are getting uneasy, some retiring.
    Do you honestly beleive that players are retiring because of how long they are taking to pick the new manager? Or that players are getting restless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Do you honestly beleive that players are retiring because of how long they are taking to pick the new manager? Or that players are getting restless?

All you've to do is read interviews with Given, Dunne, Keane and Finnan is recent weeks, all have made some reference to frustration at the length of time taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Again, male or female doesn't bother me as long as they get the job done.

Context is everything. In this case though there aren't many female contenders.

• Advertisement

At this point im beginning to wonder if the 3 lads are just revelling in this. They're more important now then they've ever been in their lives, or will be again, with the hopes of a nation resting on them. They get called the wise men, or kingmakers every day in the papers and are getting tonnes of exposure. Also Givens gets to manage against one of the best teams in the world if he takes his time. Not exactly the best motivation to get the job done quickly...

Also Givens gets to manage against one of the best teams in the world if he takes his time. Not exactly the best motivation to get the job done quickly...

I said this a long time ago on this thread,its at very least a conflict of interests.

What would you prefer?

- The manager issue to be wrapped up this evening with Venables selected;

- The issue to rumble on for another six weeks but we get a manager who is actually world class in;

I know what I would prefer. Patience people. Patience.

- The issue to rumble on for another six weeks but we get a manager who is actually world class in;
    We're getting Venables, whether it takes another six hours or six months is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What would you prefer?

- The manager issue to be wrapped up this evening with Venables selected;

I know what I would prefer. Patience people. Patience.
    The Irish people have been waiting three bleedin' years for this so-called "world class manager".

Patience wears thin, especially with that shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Also Givens gets to manage against one of the best teams in the world if he takes his time. Not exactly the best motivation to get the job done quickly...

Maybe Don thinks if he does well enough against Brazil he can convince the other two wise men that he is the man for the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

We're getting Venables, whether it takes another six hours or six months is irrelevant.

Have to agree, and that's the aspect that's most annoying. Why not just get it done and dusted?

Unless Machiavellian Delaney has some other candidate teed up all along and is stringing us along with all the talk of El Tel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are they on a wage for this particular job?

Mike.

damienom wrote: »
    Unless Machiavellian Delaney has some other candidate teed up all along and is stringing us along with all the talk of El Tel
    Delaney won't be involved in picking the candidate, he'll only be offering them the job.

• Advertisement

Pity. Venables would be up there with Troussier and Aldridge as really awful candidates for the job.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement