Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

deise59 wrote: »
    1. The pessimistic view of the Irish football team held by some of the posters here is a disgrace. To say that Ireland just flat out wont qualify before a new manager is even appointed is bordering on lunacy.

+1.

It really gets on my tits to hear people say that Ireland have no chance of qualifying. Fact is that while its a tough qualifying group, we haven't even kicked a ball in earnest yet but its not impossible that we can qualify.

Greece did it and won euro 2004 playing much harder teams. Call me an optimist but I'll keep believing they can qualify until its mathematically possible that they cant.

Maybe thats the kind of fan I am I guess.

I always wonder if the pessimists would let me borrow their crystal ball to get the weekends lotto numbers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I always wonder if the pessimists would let me borrow their crystal ball to get the weekends lotto numbers...

Can I get you to cover your eyes and blindly point a pen at my lotto ticket six times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Q_Ball wrote: »
    +1.

It really gets on my tits to hear people say that Ireland have no chance of qualifying. Fact is that while its a tough qualifying group, we haven't even kicked a ball in earnest yet but its not impossible that we can qualify.

Greece did it and won euro 2004 playing much harder teams. Call me an optimist but I'll keep believing they can qualify until its mathematically possible that they cant.

Maybe thats the kind of fan I am I guess.

A pessimist doesn't believe in the lotto. You've no chance of winning :D

shane86 wrote: »
    We have arguably the toughest 6th seeders who may drop us 2 pts.

Arguably? I think definitely. Their number one striker starts for Roma!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A pessimist doesn't believe in the lotto. You've no chance of winning :D

It's a tax on people who are bad at maths tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arguably? I think definitely. Their number one striker starts for Roma!

Vucinic is a good striker, but he hasn't got enough overall to damage us. I would think he will play deeper for them.

They are a solid team in terms of 6th seeds and they won't be like San Marino where you basically have six points on the table already but I expect 6points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Kenny Dalglish is about to be named Ireland boss, FACT. Possibly as soon as tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you had better be lying. the guy is muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kenny Dalglish is about to be named Ireland boss, FACT. Possibly as soon as tomorrow.

These get better with every post :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Doubt it! Why did he not go for his own national side's job so??!! He too busy building football academies

Don't bother questioning it, just put your life savings on it, like I did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

meh....

Anyone care anymore?

Unearthly wrote: »
    meh....

Anyone care anymore?

No, not a flyin' fcuk! I lost my shirt on Didier Deschamps a couple of weeks ago and my drinking money last Friday on Brady! As soon as they do appoint someone, whoever it is, there should be a concerted effort by the fans to oust Delaney. This whole managerial recruitment process puts the cherry on the cake for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭secman

yaaaaa..nnn stretches............... who cares !!!!!!!!!!!!

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

flanzer wrote: »
    I lost my shirt on Didier Deschamps a couple of weeks ago and my drinking money last Friday on Brady!

Good.

It will teach you not to believe mate of a mate crap.

Or to repeat it.

Having said that, Flanzer if I were you Id throw your last penny on Rafa. You read it here first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

well if you put FACT in your claim, it must be true

well if you put FACT in your claim, it must be true

Added to the fact that he's not moving on any of the markets and still 3rd fav since 'news' broke, it must be a banker :p

flanzer wrote: »
    Added to the fact that he's not moving on any of the markets and still 3rd fav since 'news' broke, it must be a banker :p

News hasn't broke yet. You'll see. You'll ALL see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

a mate of a mate of a mate of a friends dog told me Glenn Hoddle in being lined up for it.
    Anyone here his name mentioned before for the job?

Tauren wrote: »
    you had better be lying. the guy is muck.

One of the more successful managers in the history of English football - and one of only three individuals to win the English league with two different clubs.

Also, unlike someone like Venables, it isn't a case that he has had a string of unsuccessful jobs over the past 12 and a half years. He hasn't worked much.

He didn't set the world alight at Newcastle, but he wasn't there long and it was always going to be a difficult job at that point in time. He was only manager at Celtic for a few months, and won the cup before he left.

The fact that he has been out of work for so long counts against him of course. But he is in the top tier of realistic candidates imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

IMO one of the more important things to consider when choosing the manager is experience in International football. McCarthy had none. Neither did Kerr, Jack Charlton or Staunton.

For that reason, Daglish would be a no for me.

Kenny's down to 5-2 now. He was 7-2 less than 2 hours ago. Get in before it's too late...

IMO one of the more important things to consider when choosing the manager is experience in International football. McCarthy had none. Neither did Kerr, Jack Charlton or Staunton.

For that reason, Daglish would be a no for me.
    Que? Four managers with no international experience = two successes + one unjust sacking = don't hire a manager with no international experience again?

CraZy!!??11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That theory means managers such as Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger etc are not good enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Posts like this should be bannable if eventually proved incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've decided I'm going through this thread when the FAI finally appoint someone and anyone who said that a manager I would have preferred had the job, will get banned for life. :p

It's unlikely that Daglish will fit that bill, but it is the FAI after all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

...and what are Saturday nights winning lotto numbers?

Some crystal ball suggesting Dalglish must be very clouded.

Not a chance of him being appointed never mind Friday*

I hope:eek:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Que? Four managers with no international experience = two successes + one unjust sacking = don't hire a manager with no international experience again?

CraZy!!??11

No its not crazy, all Im saying is that theres international experience is vital, and with no proven intl manager ever been ireland manager, this is the time to go down that route. I'd take a manager who over-achieved at a country like ours over a man of daglish's achievements
    Unearthly wrote: »
    That theory means managers such as Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger etc are not good enough :D

Dont be silly. Of course they're good enough, but you cant compare the greatest managers in the world to Kenny Daglish. If one of those came calling its a no brainer, but we all know that wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Charlton got us to 3 tournaments. We made a respectable debut in the first, an unbelieveable achievement in the 2nd and again a respectable in the 3rd. Im too young to remember if McCarthy really was a good manager. Kerr almost did it. For all his lack of international experience Jackie got us to two more tournaments than the 3 following managers could get to.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Charlton was a long ball foisting dick who inherited a great team.

• Advertisement

I'm not denying the fact that some managers with no into experience can make a good national manager. Neither am I denying jackie of his achievements.

But surely you must realize it is a great asset to get to manage a country before ireland for whoever gets the job. Someone who knows the ins and outs of European football. Somone tactically sound enough to know how to travel to those awkward away games in eastern Europe and return with three points.

IMO those qualities must come before a manager who won a trophy or two last decade. Please tell me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't it those same reasons why hodgson was a favourite with so many boardsies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I have an inside tip that management is a bunch of crap. You need to have a bit of neck, and suitably some previous footballing experience.

I begin to despair of the whole debacle now to be honest. It's not like we are waiting because the FAI are being so meticulous that they haven't found the right candidate yet. It seems that they are floundering with the reality of the job that needs to be done with Ireland and that we are simply waiting for another poor manager who will limp us through another 2 to 3 years until we replace him with yet another poor manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote: »
    Charlton got us to 3 tournaments. We made a respectable debut in the first, an unbelieveable achievement in the 2nd and again a respectable in the 3rd. Im too young to remember if McCarthy really was a good manager. Kerr almost did it. For all his lack of international experience Jackie got us to two more tournaments than the 3 following managers could get to.
    You're too young to remember McCarthy's achievements but your still willing to wax lyrical about Jack's achievements? The mind boggles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

To be honest, I'm gone beyond the point of caring who the next manager is at this stage. I don't think they know themselves who they want. The words piss up and brewery come to mind. Not that the calibre of any of the candidates is anything to shout about but still, is it not about time we managed to get a manager off a club/another country instead of taking on dead end nobody's who are looking for a last pay off?

If the FAI don't appoint a proper candidate this time around, it's only going to get worse next time. South Africa have Carlos Alberto Parreira, Gabon even have Alain Giresse, Morocco have Henri Michel. I'd nearly rather have the likes of Rudi Voller, Bruno Conti or even bloody Stuart Pearce (however unlikely) as manager.

If not then I think another young Irish manager should be given the job. Yes, I know..Staunton. Problem was that he was just plain ****e. You don't give the reserve manager at Walsall the job, a bad one at that. Owen Coyle is doing a superb job at Burnley for one..

Jut my 5c worth..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Charlton had the most gifted generation of Irish (and english) footballers at his disposal. Fair enough, some where coming to then end of their peaks, but with the players we had, we could easily have played good football and won games.

Instead we wasted some of the most talented attacking and midfield players (Sheedy, Brady, Stapleton, Aldridge, Whelan) we have ever had in favour of nicking a goal and keeping a clean sheet.

You hate hwo Chelsea played last year? That was Ireland under Charlton.

When you think of a team with Hughton, O'Leary, Moran, Brady, Sheedy, Stapleton and Whelan and the football that could have been player.......

I really am fed up with the way Jackie is seen as a hero, because he is seen as having guided Ireland to acheivements they never had before. I just don't see how this could be true. Look at the players in any of his sides. Then look at his tactical decisions, favouring kelly to Irwin, Favouring the long ball to the big head. He knows one style of football, and that's the hard ugly brand he lashed out at Leeds, and he adapted that to the Irish style. Now it is always difficult to get a team of players from different clubs to play as an effective unit that can produce results and I have to applaud him for that. I just think that the team that we had then were capable of being a genuinely great international team with talent, verve and creativity. Instead we were reduced to long balls knocked down for close range efforts, rare moments of great individual skill and keeping it tight at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If Ireland could get near a World Cup QF in the next few years I wouldn't give a f*ck what sort of football we played. Long ball? Bring it on if it means success.

Jack got results by playing a way no other team could handle. We beat far more talented teams than us through his tactics.

I'd say we are some years yet from another team like that. I dont think we have the players and I definitely dont think we will have a manager of any merit whatsoever. At least not this time around. Lets just say I would take Jack over any of the plonkers that have come since, and I would take Jack over any of the plonkers linked with the job currently.
    Reid went to Sunderland today. Looks like we will finally have a midfield capable of playing as a unit soon! (albeit in the first division)

• Advertisement

Charlton had the most gifted generation of Irish (and english) footballers at his disposal. Fair enough, some where coming to then end of their peaks, but with the players we had, we could easily have played good football and won games.

Instead we wasted some of the most talented attacking and midfield players (Sheedy, Brady, Stapleton, Aldridge, Whelan) we have ever had in favour of nicking a goal and keeping a clean sheet.

You hate hwo Chelsea played last year? That was Ireland under Charlton.

When you think of a team with Hughton, O'Leary, Moran, Brady, Sheedy, Stapleton and Whelan and the football that could have been player.......
    I really am fed up with the way Jackie is seen as a hero, because he is seen as having guided Ireland to acheivements they never had before. I just don't see how this could be true. Look at the players in any of his sides. Then look at his tactical decisions, favouring kelly to Irwin, Favouring the long ball to the big head. He knows one style of football, and that's the hard ugly brand he lashed out at Leeds, and he adapted that to the Irish style. Now it is always difficult to get a team of players from different clubs to play as an effective unit that can produce results and I have to applaud him for that. I just think that the team that we had then were capable of being a genuinely great international team with talent, verve and creativity. Instead we were reduced to long balls knocked down for close range efforts, rare moments of great individual skill and keeping it tight at the back.

These are good posts, and it is something everyone should know. But:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If Ireland could get near a World Cup QF in the next few years I wouldn't give a f*ck what sort of football we played. Long ball? Bring it on if it means success.

Jack got results by playing a way no other team could handle. We beat far more talented teams than us through his tactics.

I do feel like this to some extent. Here's a couple of things I think are worth noting:

- Eoin Hand (the guy in before Jack) had a wonderfully talented team too don't forget, and he played more attractive football. But the performance levels always dipped whenever the game was crunch / away from home. Before Charlton got there we had a losing mentality.

- As much as his tactics were responsible for under - achievement in some games where we could have opened up the tank and knocked a few in (Egypt); it helped us to overcome being the underdog mentally (England 88) and technically (Italy 94) in some key games also;

- I can still remember the sense of surprise when we got man handled by the Spanish 3 - 1 for our first home competitive loss to Spain in October 93. For a while, we were beastly at home under Charlton and this was in part to the tactics he used;

The last 101 days prove that unfortunately we have an inept crew looking after OUR football.
    Have a good look at the 10 man committee, when you look at where they have come from, I mean leagues/ clubs, its a joke. 2 of them came from the United Churches League, most likely the Mickiest Mouse league in Dublin. Another 2 from those bastions of football Athone Town, Monaghon Utd.

No ex professional players
    No ex International managers
    No one from top Eircom League clubs

What can we seriously expect from these people in charge. All we got from Genisis report was a watered down shower of inept people, and a more powerful well paid CEO, and who initiated Genisis, ? Answer: the well paid CEO, who, when he was looking vunerable around the end of the Staunton debacle, gave himself an extension on his contract.

It will cost big bucks to remove the twat.

And as i've said previously, its a national disgrace that Brian Kerr is not involved at some level within the FAI.

Another rant over
    Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

secman wrote: »
    Mickiest Mouse
    Mickey Mousest tbh.

:D

Just heard Tony O'Donoghue on radio 1, he has heard from a usually very good source, thats its Trapattoni and Brady. If thats the case I would be happy and I WILL give credit to 3 wise men despite all my rants.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

secman wrote: »
    I WILL give credit to FAI despite all my rants
    I won't.

You know why?

Because the FAI head honcho didn't trust himself or any other FAI goon to pick the manager, so he got someone else to do it.

If Givens, Howe and Houghton manage to pull this off, then kudos to them.

Not the Association of Clownage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FAI panel have issued a quickie statement to Pat Kennys programme (they were just talking about this) saying the current "chatter" about Trapitoni is market manipulation.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept .............................!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I wish they'd just appoint somebody at this stage.

General elections come and go a lot quicker than this palaver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have they actually gone and ASKED Trapatoni about it? I know that its probably all market manipulation, but Id rather hear that they asked him and he said no then "it cant be true, theres been no contact".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

How much money has been made by the betting communtiy during this god awful mess?

Conspiracies no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DesF wrote: »
    Because the FAI head honcho didn't trust himself or any other FAI goon to pick the manager, so he got someone else to do it.
    Exactly. It's like your boss asking a few MDs from other companies to pick your new sales manager. If you can't pick someone yourself or at the very least have someone within your organisation that can pick someone you really shouldn't be in charge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement