Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And O'Leary gets vote number 19! Seriously is this some sort of p*ss take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    In fairness Eirebhoy, most of the posts in that are nonsense :) this is a good one though!

Originally posted by Jivin-Turkey:

And lets think back those ten years

Two years with Galatasaray - Two 2nd place finishes and a cup win. Not bad.
    One year with Southampton - Safe going into the last day of the season for the first time in years, playing smashing football. Scoring loads of goals. Not bad.
    Torino for a few months - Bit of a weird scenario, left after only three months. Not good.
    Two years with Benfica - Two 2nd place finishes. Couldn't break Porto's monopoly. Not bad though.
    Four years with Blackburn - Brought from mid-table Div1 to European qualification through the league, an amazing achievment. He won a league cup too. Finished his spell badly unfortunately, but still a good job overall.
    One year with Newcastle - A team requiring surgery, poor league performance but distracted by two excellent cup runs (semis of both UEFA and FA). Not a great start to this year.

So in summary the only bad jobs he has done over the last ten years are Torino (for a few months) and.................actually that is all.

Newcastle did poorly in the league last year but he was trying to mould his team. They had two excellent cup runs and were in contention for Europe too until two players decided to go at each other on the pitch against Villa starting a run of 6 losses on the bounce.

This year Newcastle have been stuttering. Injuries have played a big factor, but it's blatantly obvious that some of the players are not good enough. Souness hasn't addressed this and has ultimately paid the price.

Still though, overall it is a bit much to say Newcastle are in disaray. They are in a much better position than they were when he took over. They have some cracking players. I bet once the new manager gets everyone fit that they will begin to do very well, just as I'd bet Souness would have done if he had a fit squad.

Souness was not the problem at Newcastle, it goes far far deeper. Which will probably be proven when Shepard goes and appoints SGE in the Summer.

Overall though you can't say Souness was great for them in fairness. He was hardly shocking though. So that makes two poor jobs out of six over a decade.

So yes I would consider his decade to be successful still Lemlin.

The above would seem to be confirm considering roeder and big sam are hardly setting the world alight! :)

Don't forget Rangers, was pretty successful there, although I never rated that league :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

One year with Newcastle - A team requiring surgery, poor league performance but distracted by two excellent cup runs (semis of both UEFA and FA).
    Shall I remind you (or Jivin') of the manner in which we went out of those semis, amid the controversy of Souness dropping one Robert who had been keeping him in the job. The Man Utd semi was embarrassing enough, but the Sporting Lisbon fiasco was unforgivable. And he did take Newcastle from 5th to 13th in one season, with the same players as well as his own (Boumsong, Faye, Babayaro).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In fairness Kinaldo, as the other bloke said in the post i copied and pasted, a lot of Newcastles problems at that time ran deeper than the players on the pitch. Its almost like the England job up there! Very hard to guage how good a manager is with all the other influences. Remains to be seen if even big sam can make a decent go of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Boumsong was bought by the chair man aswell.

Souness gave the chairman a shopping list and said he was interested in these playeres, chairman went mad and paid over the odds for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Give it to Jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Give it to Jose
    :rolleyes:

Delamey : Hi...José?...It's Oscar Wilde here, famous Irish wit, and CEO of the Football Assoiciation of Ireland...

Special One : Yes...yes...what do you want?...

Delamey : Just ringing to tell you that we have decided you are the new manager of the Irish team, just be at your desk in Merrion Square, Dublin on Monday morning will you

Special One : Where did you get my number, you buffoon, get off my phone.

Plus its worth remembering that Boumsong was very very highly rated when Newcastle bought him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Tauren wrote: »
    i reckon RTE should create a new program - you're a manager.

3 footballing icons* travel the coutry running auditions for the role of the next Ireland manager. People turn up at hotels around the coutry to impress the judges with their football knowledge, with people getting select for boot camp, where the field is narrowd down to 10. Then, have live televised shows every week where all the contestents compete and ar put to a phone vote.

the overall winner becomes the next ireland manager.

*Judges would be Delaney, Dunphy and Souness.

Ratings winner I say!

Good idea, crap judging panel, no way anyone from the FAI should be let near it, I'd sooner have Louis Walsh judge it than Delaney.

Dumphy - Yes

Souness - No, can't believe he is almost leading the poll.... bizzare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And O'Leary gets vote number 19! Seriously is this some sort of p*ss take?

dol would do a great job, hed be my choice

but i went for aldo coz hes gonna get it, and i read the poll wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

joker77 wrote: »
    If he made the team better, I probably would 'Get over it'.
    But when he took over Liverpool he ruined the club and it took them years to get over it.

Of course it had nothing to do with the players not being good enough or more importantly the fact Liverpool didn't adapt to the new back pass rule quite as easily. But then again it's easier to blame the bigoted husband of an Irish woman.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Of course it had nothing to do with the players not being good enough or more importantly the fact Liverpool didn't adapt to the new back pass rule quite as easily. But then again it's easier to blame the bigoted husband of an Irish woman.

It has nothing to do with their being 6 left backs on the books and zero right midfielders for some time during his rein. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

d22ontour wrote: »

The universal opinion is that Liverpool were in the doghouse after Souness' reign and took years to recover (some would say are only getting there now).

The buck stops with the Manager, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joker77 wrote: »
    The universal opinion is that Liverpool were in the doghouse after Souness' reign and took years to recover (some would say are only getting there now).

The buck stops with the Manager, end of.

We had some really good finishes in the league under Evans and really should have won it once anyway. We were certainly as close to winning it as we have been since.

Souness made a bollox of liverpool, no doubting it

Souness made a bollox of liverpool, no doubting it

MillersAngel was a far superior name. :eek:

Wat can i say, i'm finally growing out of my Counting Crows phase :)

(Millersangel being a song of theirs)

The-Rigger wrote: »
    MillersAngel was a far superior name. :eek:
    Yeah, but the millersangel persona wasn't.;)

Cheers Des :)

• Advertisement

Cheers Des :)

No bother Al.

Can I call you Al?

You can call me Betty.

its a deal betty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You two could be long lost pals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

roy hodgson wud be a good choice his deal ends after these qualifers put he does'nt seem to hang about with any team usually 2 years and he off .glenn hoddle wud be a good choice has the experience and all.dont know why o'leary is getting abuse no worse than souness hasnt messed up as many clubs anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why pray tell is Paul Jewell not on the poll?
    Did a great job at Bradford and an even better job for Wigan.

micmclo wrote: »
    Why pray tell is Paul Jewell not on the poll?
    Did a great job at Bradford and an even better job for Wigan.

Why, pray tell, would a young, talented manager want the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DesF wrote: »
    Why, pray tell, would a young, talented manager want the job?

We do have a slight chance with him at least i think, though probably not with the other up'n'comers i mentiond earlier.

Jewell clearly had enough of the high pressure and thanklessness of premiership management, and judging by the fact that Bolton have gone trying to get Bruce and Coleman, Jewell has possibly turned them down. 2 years chilling out with the Irish Squad might just be up Jewell's street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He had built up a good rep with Bradford and then left them and joined Sheffield Wednesday who were a division below a few years ago so its not completely out of the picture

If Paul Jewell becomes Ireland manager after Staunton, I will carry out a forfeit decided by the posters of the Boards.ie Soccer Forum.

DesF wrote:
    If Paul Jewell becomes Ireland manager after Staunton, I will carry out a forfeit decided by the posters of the Boards.ie Soccer Forum.

dont get me wrong, i still dont think we'll get him, but he is more likely then any other young up'n'comers.

P.S I vote managing from the touchline in drag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    P.S I vote managing from the touchline in drag.

That's not a forfeit, he does that all the time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The fact that Souness played an amateur player he'd never even seen but believed was Weah's cousin, in a Premiership game, should be a damning enough indictment of the man. Or that he discarded Peter Beardsley when he was at Liverpool by letting him move to Everton - what a huge error of judgment that turned out to be!

Graeme Souness at Newcastle was

the guy who came into training on his first day and grabbed Bellamy by the throat in front of the whole squad and throws him on the ground, and bizarrely subbed him when he was our best player at Birmingham citing tactical reasons, only to end up drawing

the guy who constantly picked Ameobi ahead of Kluivert (who still managed 13 goals in his few apps and looked a class act), and worshiped Keiron Dyer constantly describing him as a "proper midfielder", and still preached on about professionalism after picking Dyer up from a police cell for his usual loutish behavior

the guy who fell out with Robert because he "doesn't believe in wingers in modern day football", and dropped him from the squad for our biggest game of the season and best hope of a trophy in years (at Lisbon in a Uefa SF), which of course backfired spectacularly

the guy who said "you don't win anything with a team of James Milners" and let him go to Villa, while Milner ended up being their player of the year

the guy who admits to having close connections with Rangers and is being investigated over the £8m transfer of Boumsong (after they picked him up on a free 6 months earlier when Robson was after him...),

the guy who goes on and on about injuries and played Steven Taylor when he needed a shoulder operation, only to then watch him dislocate his shoulder again that very game, ruling him out for 6 months, after already gambling with Emre and Luque with similar results.

the guy who signed Babayaro

the guy who's fallen out with probably more star players than any other manager, and left Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle in disarray.

But hey, that was all the fault of others, or so he says.

Graeme's won a few things, talks a good game, so he must be alright. Good enough for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I cant believe ppl want Jewell. The only thing he ever did was moan! They need an experienced manager players will look up to and respect not a mickey mouse manager. I hope to God the bookies dont have him one of the favourites as the FAI will be gettings ideas.

They may aswell pull out of the world cup qualifiers if somebody like Jewell,Dowie,Bruce,Souness or Aldridge get the job.

DesF wrote: »
    No bother Al.

Can I call you Al?

You can call me Betty.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's not a forfeit, he does that all the time!!!

..I see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

O'Leary - bookies Fav ? WTF? Nooooooooo ! He would crap himself once he realises he's not allowed sign players lol! Plus we'd have to hear the line "We're only babies..." :eek:

Souness - Ali Dia, need I say anymore :D

Aldridge - A bit too old school and out of the game too long. If he didnt get the job the last time then he certainly aint gonna get it this time.

That lad Troussier had a great rep and was in with a shout when Kerr got the job, seem to remember him doing well with Japan in 2002, not sure what hes at now tho :confused:

I see Louis van Gaal is only 20/1 ! Not sure if he would pack in his job with AZ Alkamaar tho to take the role on? Great experience.

Personally I'd like to see us get a continental coach on board.No need for any sentimental appointments of ex-players needed in the back room staff either.

Sizzler wrote: »

That lad Troussier had a great rep and was in with a shout when Kerr got the job, seem to remember him doing well with Japan in 2002, not sure what hes at now tho :confused:

He was Morocco manager for a while, left that job, found Islam, changed his name to Omar, and him and his wife and kids still live in Morocco.

He won't be the Ireland manager.

I cant believe ppl want Jewell. The only thing he ever did was moan! They need an experienced manager players will look up to and respect not a mickey mouse manager. I hope to God the bookies dont have him one of the favourites as the FAI will be gettings ideas.

They may aswell pull out of the world cup qualifiers if somebody like Jewell,Dowie,Bruce,Souness or Aldridge get the job.

Go on then who would you pick that is a realistic possibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

djpbarry wrote: »
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Souness. Based on what?!?

I'm guessing based on his likeability as an rte pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The only thing he ever did was moan....What are you on about?

In my oppinion Paul Jewell would be an excellent manager to get, my top choice.

Look at what hes done with every club hes managed. And ill add in every club hes managed were small teams with fairly average players.

Its a manager whos dealt with average players that we need and one whos done well. You dont understand football if you dismissing Paul Jewell just because the teams hes manged are not big guns.

Youve also mentioned steve Bruce. Steve Bruce is a good manager also dealt with average players.

Were not gunna get mourinho. We dont have the ronaldinhos of this world in the squad so you have to think of managers who were succesful with average teams.

Im actually really suprised Jewell wasnt mentioned in the poll yet Souness and Aldrige were?

Is George Graham a bit too much of a "whacky" choice? Would love to see him back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

O Leary, in my book.

He's got a proven pedigree in both league and knock-out football. He's got a track record of bringing in youth players, building teams and getting them playing good football almost immediately. Considering the pool of talented youngsters available to Ireland, I think he's the man for the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Is George Graham a bit too much of a "whacky" choice? Would love to see him back...

I'm not sure how George Graham would do. His managerial style is more based on organisation and getting his players to play as a unit. I don't think he'd get enough time with the players to be able to do this.

In all fairness, anyone would be better than Stan. I'd actually be happy with Roy Hodgson or Glenn Hoddle. Even Souness and DOL wouldn't be too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Graeme Souness

lol

the only guy who i think could possibly do a worse job than Staunton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Graeme Souness

lol

why? Souness is a half decent manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Graeme Souness

lol

lol
    Ha!! You so crazay!!!!!:D I don't think there is anyone who could have done a worse job, ffs, Cyprus whipped our asses in Nicosia, they played us off the pitch at Croke Park[another late late goal], we scrambled a win in San Marino[5 mins into bloody injury time].
    He consistly played players outta position. Left some decent players out of the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

county wrote: »
    why? Souness is a half decent manager

I presume you missed his stint with Newcastle then?

I presume you missed his stint with Newcastle then?

That's what makes him "half" decent, his manager career is very mixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Would love to see Roy Keane but there is no way he would work for the FAI.

A name just occured to me is Sam Allardyce what do people think? Havent seen him mentioned yet

I think the best realisitic option, ie: Could be offered it, might consider it, is DOL

dbnavan wrote: »
    Would love to see Roy Keane but there is no way he would work for the FAI.

A name just occured to me is Sam Allardyce what do people think? Havent seen him mentioned yet

Just joined a club that has alot of ambition and he is given a fair bit of money to, and has also started good so no way imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

joe123 wrote: »
    The only thing he ever did was moan....What are you on about?

In my oppinion Paul Jewell would be an excellent manager to get, my top choice.

Look at what hes done with every club hes managed. And ill add in every club hes managed were small teams with fairly average players.

Its a manager whos dealt with average players that we need and one whos done well. You dont understand football if you dismissing Paul Jewell just because the teams hes manged are not big guns.

Youve also mentioned steve Bruce. Steve Bruce is a good manager also dealt with average players.

Were not gunna get mourinho. We dont have the ronaldinhos of this world in the squad so you have to think of managers who were succesful with average teams.

Im actually really suprised Jewell wasnt mentioned in the poll yet Souness and Aldrige were?

Steve Bruce lasted about a season at every club before birmingham before he jumped ship for a better club each time. And he hasnt exactly had no money at Birmingham yet still got relegated

Now if a qualification to get this job is to have got a team relegated or just survive relegation well Jewell and Bruce should be top of the list! I'd take any former Irish player who has good managerial experience (...........Aldridge has being out of the game too long) before any of these non-Irish who'll run straight back to England the second a premiership club comes sniffing.

anytime Jewell was on televsion all he did was complain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I just been sacked by Pats in Fm08 and i only got the game yesterday so im sadly ruling my self out of the national job.

kdjac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement