Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does it take 13 monkeys to hire a manager? Answer 113 days

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Paddypower, Trap and El tel are both 2-1 now anyway with Dalglish just behind at 9-4. Houllier and Brady are gone to 20-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭secman

FAI phone number 8 999 500
    Fax number 8 999 501

Very apt having 999 in there.

Thinking strongly that we should all ring/fax them and air our views, just in case they think everything out here is hunky dory .
    No abuse required here, just politely let them know our views.

What thinks ye ??

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

secman wrote: »
    FAI phone number 8 999 500
    Fax number 8 999 501

Very apt having 999 in there.

Thinking strongly that we should all ring/fax them and air our views, just in case they think everything out here is hunky dory .

What thimks ye ??

Secman

HAHAHA

Association of Clowning Around don't care about "Joe Public"

It is choc-full of self serving, snivelling, back-stabbing fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DesF wrote: »
    I won't.

You know why?

Because the FAI head honcho didn't trust himself or any other FAI goon to pick the manager, so he got someone else to do it.

Oh come on. If Delaney announced he himself was picking the manager you would be complaining he hadnt consulted experienced football folk :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

shane86 wrote: »
    Oh come on. If Delaney announced he himself was picking the manager you would be complaining he hadnt consulted experienced football folk :confused:

Howe, Givens and Houghton are not the 3 i'd have picked though....

shane86 wrote: »
    You see, you are, of course, correct.

If Delaney, the man who is supposed to be IN CHARGE OF FOOTBALL in this country announced he would be stepping aside to let a "football person" take the reigns, I might start to have some modicum of respect for him. He's a jumped up accountant who got his position via a seedy lane of backstabbing, nepotism and self-serving petty committee votes.

He has no place in football, the rest of the blazers who pretend to run football in this country have no place in football.

It doesn't matter though.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, it doesn't matter if real football fans (and don't jump on me here, I don't mean LoI people, I mean all people who truly love football)are disillusioned, so long as the Olé Olé-ers pack into "Croker", or the new Landsdowne, then the blazers can keep on fooling them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

If Delaney, the man who is supposed to be IN CHARGE OF FOOTBALL in this country announced he would be stepping aside to let a "football person" take the reigns, I might start to have some modicum of respect for him. He's a jumped up accountant who got his position via a seedy lane of backstabbing, nepotism and self-serving petty committee votes.

He has no place in football, the rest of the blazers who pretend to run football in this country have no place in football.

If delaney appointed a "football" man to be in charge, he'd have to ensure that they have the business savvy to carry the association forward. Surely he should step aside to allow a "football man" to take care of the football matters and a "business man" to take care of the business side. Altho hasn't delaney done well with the financial side of the game? (Genuine question there, i dont know enough about how the finances work within the FAI other than the massive wages people say the blazers are on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

So it looks like Daglish afterall. What ye reckon? Is he out of the game too long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Tomthepost wrote: »
    So it looks like Daglish afterall. What ye reckon? Is he out of the game too long?

:confused: How so? I haven't heard anything. Any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tomthepost wrote: »

Ah this is just getting tiresome. Trappatoni one minute, Dalglish the next, someone else will be mentioned next week. I think they are struggling to fill the post at all, there's not exactly a queue of managers falling over each other to get it, not decent ones anyway.

I thought the idea of the 3 man committee was to single out a candidate (or 2) and go after them. Do they even know who they want? We were led to believe it was Venables.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

With respect Des, bull.

The one abiding legacy Delaney will leave is abolishing the blazers.

Surely you can see that football in this country (aside fromt he Ole XI) is far stronger under Delaney than before his reign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Surely you can see that football in this country (aside fromt he Ole XI) is far stronger under Delaney than before his reign?

you see you can say that about a number of things, but by this stage delay-ney is draggin us back, and makin wrong decisions that are costly, we shouludnt keep him for good things he has done, we should remove him for the bad things he is doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

From here on in anyone who says a manager is being appointed without a source gets banned.

It might seem harsh, but, being cynical, if I think that someone is trying to generate a rumour for betfair purposes, I'll view it harshly.

psi - the name?

What posessed you? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

psi - the name?

What posessed you? :o

I didn't have a whole lot of say in the matter

I didn't have a whole lot of say in the matter

I'm intrigued..do tell? Is there sabotage afoot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Giovanni Trapattoni has named the new manager of Ireland according to the sun, hmmm. They also say its an exclusive story.

creggy wrote: »
    the sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I always find it rather bemusing that there are people out there who would actually take an 'exclusive' story in a tabloid at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I always find it rather bemusing that there are people out there who would actually take an 'exclusive' story in a tabloid at face value.

I never said I believed it, Im just telling ye's what I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indo have it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

Just the man to sort out Steven Ireland. I'd follow him into battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

lol thats what I've wanted since Kerr left, an auld thick b*****d

If someone like that cant get respect from them then theres no hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

In fairness, they usually do have the stories before they officially break. They've a lot of speculation too. Don't read that particular tabloid myself and I wish a plague on the families of anyone involved in it:rolleyes:, but the Trappa story seems robust. This would be great news:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

today fm just had it on their sports bulletin with brady as number 2.

However, slysports say different! -

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12020_3092434,00.html

Few days old that story.

• Advertisement

Cant find word of this anywhere online. I wouldnt expect an official announcement over the weekend anyway, so this simply makes it appointment rumour no. 327.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqp64q7kHmw

Just the man to sort out Steven Ireland. I'd follow him into battle.

f**king hell, thats the mother of all rants. yes, this man would have respect me thinks. wonder what his english is like?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

wonder what his english is like?

Does not matter as Liam Brady's English is ok.:)

Dub13 wrote: »
    Does not matter as Liam Brady's English is ok.:)
    :)

Somehow I can't see having Brady's monotone drone translating one of them rants would have quite the same effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

No great surprise all of this to season FAI watchers. For as long as I can remember there has always been coming and going on the managerial appointment front. Dont forget that Charlton got the job in very dubious circumstances and only after the FAI turned down an approach from Paisley (as he did not want to interview).

I cant quite remember but have a feeling there was someone else in the frame before McCarthy got the nod.

Kerr was by no means first choice (Troussier and others where sought first)

Apparently the assumption in the FAI last time around was that O'Neill was just waiting to be asked so much so that most decent candidates were not interested and when that fell through panic stations brought us to Stan.

If any of the speculation on this forum is correct then the FAI will continue the trend of indeciseness, double dealing and general ineptitude.

They are a joke and hence the lack of an appointment and serious managers willing to offer themselves up for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Trappatoni will be great, a manager with a proven track record and one who doesn't take any **** from the players, just what we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Irish Times:

"FAI to get Trapattoni and Brady
    Emmet Malone Soccer correspondent
    (Irish Times)

International soccer: The FAI is set to appoint veteran Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni as Steve Staunton's successor. The 68-year-old is on course to reach an agreement with the association over the coming days and is likely to be in Croke Park on Wednesday night to watch the team play Brazil."

Nice odds on him with Betfair. Loads of people willing to lay him at a decent price considering he's about the 10th favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah Jayzus it's a great time for the bookies! :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Trapattoni

In July 2000 Trapattoni took charge of the Italian national team after the resignation of Dino Zoff. He led the team to the 2002 FIFA World Cup. In that tournament, after winning its first match against Ecuador, Italy's form dropped and they lost to Croatia controversially and almost lost to Mexico, with Alessandro Del Piero scoring the equalizer. In the second round, Italy was expected to easily defeat South Korea, but was however defeated in one of the biggest upsets in the FIFA World Cup history.

Despite referee Byron Moreno being blamed by Italians as the main reason for Italy's exit, disallowing a goal and sending off Francesco Totti for shirt pulling in the penalty box, Trapattoni was also blamed for playing an over-defensive brand of football and not taking arguably who was Italy's most gifted player Roberto Baggio.

At 2004 European Championship Italy once again failed to shine, having performed with dreaded defensive tactics. They drew to both Denmark and Sweden leading to an early exit. On 25 June 2004, Marcello Lippi was named as Trapattoni's successor, and took over once Trapattoni's contract ran out on 15 July 2004.

On 5 July, Trapattoni was named as new coach of Lisbon club SL Benfica, whom he led to win the Portuguese league for the first time in eleven years, and also to the cup final (which Benfica lost to Vitória F.C.). He resigned after the 2005 season, saying he wanted to be closer to his family (in the north of Italy) and returned to Germany with VfB Stuttgart, with much hype about his appointment. However, during his 20 games at the helm, Stuttgart showed poor form with 12 draws, many of these as 0-0 results. Denmark international forwards Jon Dahl Tomasson and Jesper Grønkjær openly criticized their coach, claiming he was afraid to attack. Trapattoni responded by putting both on the bench, but was fired himself the very next day on 9 February 2006, based on "not fulfilling the ambitions of the club". He was replaced by Armin Veh.

In fairness his recent record is almost as shaky as El Tels post Euro 96 CV :(

The chairman of the Selection Panel set up to recruit the next manager of the Republic of Ireland senior international team has asked the President of the Football Association of Ireland to convene a meeting of the Board of Management. The President has called a meeting for tomorrow, Sunday, at 6.30pm in the Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co Dublin. A statement will be issued after the meeting and posted on the FAI website.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2826

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'd be gas if Houghton or Givens got the job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I bet he is strongly considering it, but will get cold feet.

please, just, please make this happen..considering some of the scares so far and the current alternatives id happily grasp the partnership of brady and trappatoni with both hands!

chatsoccer can exclusively reveal that Italian Giovanni Trapattoni will imminently be offered the job of Republic of Ireland manager...

http://www.chatsoccer.eu/news/index.php/Republic-of-Ireland/Ireland-spring-a-Trap.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yikes! That can't be true, could it? Haha, born on St. Patrick's Day 1929...essentially he's an Irishman!

• Advertisement

Trappa, Trappa Trappa!!!!!

This is ****ing class, so is Des an Irish fan now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Not according to Sky sports
    Trapattoni denies Ireland link

Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni has insisted that he is not in talks to become the new Republic of Ireland manager.

The veteran coach is currently in charge of Austrian first division side Salzburg and has moved to end speculation surrounding his future.

I admire the imagination of certain managers. Two weeks ago, I was being linked with Africa, last week it was in England and now we are talking to Ireland," Trapattoni told the APA news agency.

"I'm curious to see where I will be next week."

It was reported on Tuesday that Trapattoni was in contact with the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) with a view to succeeding Steve Staunton who was sacked after failing to take the team to the Euro 2008 finals.

Experience

The 68-year-old has a wealth of experience and has coached clubs including AC Milan, Internazionale, Fiorentina, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Benfica.

He was also in charge of the Italian national team between 2000 and 2004.

That was a few days ago. Probably just saying that for professional reasons.

Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni has insisted that he is not in talks

Pretty clear to me, a manager might make no comment or something for professional reasons, not a clear lie and insist on it.

dbnavan wrote: »
    Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni has insisted that he is not in talks

Pretty clear to me, a manager might make no comment or something for professional reasons, not a clear lie and insist on it.
    "I admire the imagination of certain managers. Two weeks ago, I was being linked with Africa, last week it was in England and now we are talking to Ireland,"

"I'm curious to see where I will be next week."

Judge for yourself whether he insisted. Anyway, he's clearly in talks about the job.

Exactly Eirebhoy. Actually he did well to dodge the bullet, he can'tsay he will be leaving his team halfway through season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The Irish Times:

"FAI to get Trapattoni and Brady
    Emmet Malone Soccer correspondent
    (Irish Times)

International soccer: The FAI is set to appoint veteran Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni as Steve Staunton's successor. The 68-year-old is on course to reach an agreement with the association over the coming days and is likely to be in Croke Park on Wednesday night to watch the team play Brazil."

Nice odds on him with Betfair. Loads of people willing to lay him at a decent price considering he's about the 10th favourite.

It was all here first over the past three days

And the latest

Judge for yourself whether he insisted.
    I obviously have done!
    Anyway, he's clearly in talks about the job.
    Reference? You saw him in Dublin Airport?

EDIT...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him get the job, I am just sick of speculation, like half the country at this stage, last week a very reliable mate who's uncle works for the FAI told me it was Dalgliesh. I wont believe anyone till I see it.

dbnavan wrote: »
    I obviously have done!
    You obviously haven't if you have to use words from a Sky Sports internet article maker guy.
    Reference? You saw him in Dublin Airport?
    It's obvious.

• Advertisement

You obviously haven't if you have to use words from a Sky Sports internet article maker guy.

It's obvious.

One irish newspaper and a couple of websites make it obvious?? That's a fairly bold statement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement